Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3101811 - 12/30/12 06:33 PM Did Remington buy Marlin?
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Looked at a Marlin .17 HMR the other day and on the barrel it said something like "Marlin Firearms Co. Made in Mayfield KY."

There is a Remington plant in Mayfield I know that for a fact.
To my knowledge there is no Marlin plant and being such a small community and so close to me I would think I would know it if there was one.

Just made me wonder.

#3101849 - 12/30/12 06:52 PM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: RUGER]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Freedom arms ( i thinks the name) bought both companies thats why Remington quality went downhill
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3101928 - 12/30/12 07:22 PM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: Rockhound]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Oh ok thanks.

#3101935 - 12/30/12 07:24 PM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: Rockhound]
Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
Freedom arms ( i thinks the name) bought both companies thats why Remington quality went downhill
In recent years, many top-selling brands — including the 195-year-old Remington Arms, as well as Bushmaster Firearms and DPMS, leading makers of military-style semiautomatics — have quietly passed into the hands of a single private company. It is called the Freedom Group — and it is the most powerful and mysterious force in the American commercial gun industry today. ever heard of it?

You’re not alone. Even within gun circles, the Freedom Group is something of an enigma. Its rise has been so swift that it has become the subject of wild speculation and grassy-knoll conspiracy theories. In the realm of consumer rifles and shotguns — long guns, in the trade — it is unrivaled in its size and reach. By its own count, the Freedom Group sold 1.2 million long guns and 2.6 billion rounds of ammunition in the 12 months ended March 2010, the most recent year for which figures are publicly available.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/busine...?pagewanted=all

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/freedom.asp

NORTH HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Remington Arms Co. will buy Marlin Firearms in a deal that brings together two companies founded in the 19th century and serving a range of customers from police officers to hunters.
Remington, based in Madison, N.C., makes guns and ammunition for hunting, law enforcement, government and the military.

Marlin, based in North Haven, makes long guns, including lever action and bolt action rifles. Marlin's lever action .22 repeater, now the Model 39, became the favorite of many exhibition shooters, including Annie Oakley.

Frank Kenna III, chairman of Marlin, said finding a buyer for the 83-year-old family-run business is an important next step for the company, established in 1870.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/ind...-firearms_N.htm

Edited by Locksley (12/30/12 07:34 PM)

#3101998 - 12/30/12 08:03 PM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: Locksley]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Remington bought Marlin witch owned New England Firearms.
The Remington plant in Mayfield is small arms. I gusse that means 22s and 17s.

#3102410 - 12/31/12 05:21 AM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: KPH]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

To make it even more convoluted, Freedom Arms is a subsidiary of Cerberus Capital Management, a privately owned investment firm. They buy up and/or sponsor smaller companies for profit or resale. Their background ranges from paper products, to real estate, to pharmaceuticals, to mfg and distribution, to technology and communications, and more. Cerberus recently announced that they will be attempting to sell Freedom Group, and specifically Bushmaster. Their only goal is maximum profit, just like many other businesses, and quality and pride are no where in their equation except for the pressure put on them by customers through supply and demand.

Firearms manufacturers used to cater to the niche market of firearms enthusiasts, and they seemed to be shielded from the dizzying max-profit sell-acquisition market, but no more. In times past, firearms manufacturer were largely bought and owned by families or companies that cared about pride in ownership and other qualities than just max profit and selling a perishable good. They understood the target market and the culture, quality, and aesthetic expectations from firearms owners, but the market has caught up to the industry on both sides of the market. Profit alwas has been and always should have been part of the equation, but the firearms community is not as close knit as it once was and is now just like any other business.

There is nothing wrong with supply and demand, corporate ownership, or profit, we just need to realize that the sense of nostalgia and blind loyalty TO a brand of firearm will no longer neccesarily reap expected quality and loyalty FROM a brand of firearm. It is just like buying any other product.

Sorry so long of a post.

#3103783 - 01/01/13 12:50 AM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: EastTNHunter]
Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

Yes and the big owners can stop all gun production at one time now also.

#3104184 - 01/01/13 11:13 AM Re: Did Remington buy Marlin? [Re: Locksley]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

If the liberal left were smart they'd form a group and buy out the Freedom Group and then SQUASH their liberal turd cohorts in congress wanting further gun control. They'd make out like BANDITS.

Edited by TNhunter (01/01/13 11:17 AM)

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first – then everything else."

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (RAFI, FrontierGander, Nimrod777) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.