Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

Texas might be closer for mule deer. I dunno. never been
#3101277 - 12/30/12 10:40 AM Re: Where would you go ? [Re: Doskil]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I would start building preference points for a limited entry trophy Elk unit in WY (or a state that offers high country Elk hunting on public land). Then I would start contacting outfitters around those trophy units and start negotiating a price. A DIY trophy Elk hunt in the High Country can be done, but if you have the $$ it has got to well worth the investment to hire an outfitter that has pack animals, is familiar with the area, and has all the equipment needed. Plus its always a good idea to have an extra gun in grizzly country!

But that kind of money could also pay for a few DIY hunts out west as well.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3102716 - 12/31/12 10:20 AM Re: Where would you go ? [Re: AT Hiker]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
I would start building preference points for a limited entry trophy Elk unit in WY (or a state that offers high country Elk hunting on public land). Then I would start contacting outfitters around those trophy units and start negotiating a price. A DIY trophy Elk hunt in the High Country can be done, but if you have the $$ it has got to well worth the investment to hire an outfitter that has pack animals, is familiar with the area, and has all the equipment needed. Plus its always a good idea to have an extra gun in grizzly country!

But that kind of money could also pay for a few DIY hunts out west as well.

I've been thinking about doing this myself - investing in priority points for a day when I have the money and time in hand. It's pretty hard for me to justify blindly buying points in random states though, so I'm looking pretty hard at Colorado right now based on cost and driving distance.

$5k seems like a lot of money, but several of the proposed options (especially stuff in Alaska) might eat through that and then some. It's amazing how much money you can spend on these types of trips when you are paying someone else to do the work.

I think that I'd probably take the money and put it towards the most economical guided elk hunt I could get - again, probably Colorado - and plan on doing something a bit more "do-it-yourself" in the coming years.

#3103052 - 12/31/12 02:41 PM Re: Where would you go ? [Re: Crosshairy]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Take the money and apply it down on a piece of property within an hour's drive of your house. Its something that you can hunt turkey and deer on for the rest of your life. Then when the western hunt costs escalate to the obscene you'll have something to hunt on for the rest of your life and you can say "screw em!". I currently have 9 elk points in Colorado. Started accumulating them to get back into a unit when I killed my last bull in that unit. But each year, the points it takes keep just a little out in front of me, like a carrot in front of a donkey, you never quite reach it.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#3105381 - 01/02/13 12:51 AM Re: Where would you go ? [Re: Gravey]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I think I would like to bow hunt for moose somewhere in the US or canada. Those close range moose bow shots on youtube get your adrenaline running just watching them on the computer.

...since last deer season

#3105460 - 01/02/13 05:52 AM Re: Where would you go ? [Re: catman529]
B&C
4 Point

Loc: Clarksville

I'd be looking into a outfitted float hunt in NW/W Alaska for moose. Spend the $3500 on the hunt and another $700ish on the plane ticket to get there. Now all you gotta do is find someone to go with you since you need 2 guys to do any float up North. Fun hunt if you got the time and abit of knowledge.
#3110362 - 01/05/13 01:36 PM Re: Where would you go ? [Re: 4onaside]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
I currently have 9 elk points in Colorado. Started accumulating them to get back into a unit when I killed my last bull in that unit. But each year, the points it takes keep just a little out in front of me, like a carrot in front of a donkey, you never quite reach it.

CO Point creep sucks! I do not put in for that reason...I build points in WY because its way more fair than CO. I thought about building points in other states, but even if I get to go out West every year I could never cover the entire state of WY and all the game they got to hunt. Now if I was die hard on getting a record bull or muley then I would apply for AZ and the others. For me personally, one Western state is plenty big enough and I chose WY to conquer in my lifetime.

Now for a guided hunt, if I had the money then I would for sure start looking at other states.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (Pic IN the Casa, scott co htr, THEdonkey0515, TNDeerGuy, easy45, Sniper23, 13 invisible) and 121 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91727 Topics
1072043 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.