Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567
Topic Options
#3099951 - 12/29/12 09:17 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Crosshairy]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
To me, deer are first and foremost MEAT. Ideal situation for bucks in the first half of the season is that I see a big doe and a little buck walk out - in that situation, the buck gets to walk.

This year, however, my dad, brother, and I all saw tons of small bucks and no does for 2 solid weeks. In that situation, 3 small bucks got shot between the three of us.

Basically, I look at the state of my freezer versus the time I have left in the season, and take into account how many deer I've been seeing. If I'm confident of seeing some does, then I will let small bucks pass for a while. As the season draws to a close, I'll shoot whatever I can get if I still need a deer.

My goal is three deer for me. I have lots of people that have asked me for some meat at work. I guess my ideal deer count would be 4-5 per season, but I usually only get 2.

If I see a big buck on one of the properties I hunt, I'll go after him specifically a couple of times or more, depending on my free time, but I'm not going to "waste" a whole season passing on deer just to get some antlers.

I am intrigued by the use of the word WASTE in regards to deer season.....

I have been deer hunting almost 40 years and can never remember a deer season that I didn't enjoy and whether I killed a deer or not , I never considered my time WASTED.

Must be the younger generation...lol.

If I ever thought that I was wasting my time sitting in the deer woods, well, I'd be on a golf course somewhere...

Not calling you out, but I just have never heard anyone use the word WASTE, in describing the time they spent in the deer woods...
I seem to get something out of every minute I am there...imo.

thanks

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3100422 - 12/29/12 06:20 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
 Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
To me, deer are first and foremost MEAT. Ideal situation for bucks in the first half of the season is that I see a big doe and a little buck walk out - in that situation, the buck gets to walk.

This year, however, my dad, brother, and I all saw tons of small bucks and no does for 2 solid weeks. In that situation, 3 small bucks got shot between the three of us.

Basically, I look at the state of my freezer versus the time I have left in the season, and take into account how many deer I've been seeing. If I'm confident of seeing some does, then I will let small bucks pass for a while. As the season draws to a close, I'll shoot whatever I can get if I still need a deer.

My goal is three deer for me. I have lots of people that have asked me for some meat at work. I guess my ideal deer count would be 4-5 per season, but I usually only get 2.

If I see a big buck on one of the properties I hunt, I'll go after him specifically a couple of times or more, depending on my free time, but I'm not going to "waste" a whole season passing on deer just to get some antlers.

I am intrigued by the use of the word WASTE in regards to deer season.....

I have been deer hunting almost 40 years and can never remember a deer season that I didn't enjoy and whether I killed a deer or not , I never considered my time WASTED.

Must be the younger generation...lol.

If I ever thought that I was wasting my time sitting in the deer woods, well, I'd be on a golf course somewhere...

Not calling you out, but I just have never heard anyone use the word WASTE, in describing the time they spent in the deer woods...
I seem to get something out of every minute I am there...imo.

thanks

My point of view is colored by two primary factors (one of which I've already pointed out) - if I don't have venison in the freezer at the end of the season, then I am sorely disappointed. Also, I'm married with two young kids. Consequently, I don't have the luxury of time to intensely hunt after some big buck AND hunt for meat deer AND hunt for small game/ducks AND scout/prep hunting property.

If I were single or married to a hunter and had no kids, I'd have a significant amount of extra time to dedicate to all of those things. My reality, however, is an exercise in being pretty picky about what and when I hunt. If I allow myself to be distracted by antlers to the point that I don't kill any deer for the season, then I would be disappointed to the point of considering some of that time wasted.

Does that mean I didn't have fun? Of course not! I love just spending time in the woods, regardless of the outcome. But there are lots of things I'd like to do that I can't. "Wasted" may be too strong of a word, but "improperly prioritized" would certainly apply. I hunt an average of one morning per week for the MZ and gun seasons. Time is precious!

#3100604 - 12/29/12 08:25 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Crosshairy]
Viper (tp)
14 Point

Loc: greenfield, tenn.

Its a personal preference for me. Yes some are not to others standards, but if it hits me to bust him, I'm going to try my best to bust him.

#3100842 - 12/29/12 10:29 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: easy45]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Yes I'm very picky the last month of season but I'm pretty picky either way but even more in December and first of jan

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
32 registered (ruger7mag, stylishblueticks, ZachMarkus, hinshm, Vermin93, mossyoakmantn, 3 invisible) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90775 Topics
1060020 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.21 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.