Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#3098203 - 12/27/12 08:02 PM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Mike Belt]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Valid point that I doubt is easily determined. My point being that it seems that hunting may be altering the genetics of our herd over long periods of time more than we realize. Interesting to think about, but probably exceedingly difficult to document.

#3098216 - 12/27/12 08:10 PM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Crosshairy]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
Valid point that I doubt is easily determined. My point being that it seems that hunting may be altering the genetics of our herd over long periods of time more than we realize. Interesting to think about, but probably exceedingly difficult to document.

Genetics has littls meaning in the wild IMO. Especially in terms of which bucks are killed.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3098716 - 12/28/12 08:42 AM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Master Chief]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I will have to agree that buck is likely 2.5 and just a lil above average for his age and the area he lives in. I also agree that high grading is something that happens anywhere deer hunting is taking place on a wide scale public frame. Too many hunters dont care anything about age and simply are happy with any deer having antlers that fit their agenda. I also disagree that we have, and are killing, less truly big bucks (150+) now than we were several years ago before so many started passing yearlings. I think hunting in TN is the best it has ever been in modern times RIGHT NOW, big antlered bucks included. Actually no comparison, as we are killing WAY more truly top end antlered bucks right now than we ever have in TN.
#3098958 - 12/28/12 11:55 AM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Winchester]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

How do you guys get bucks to stop running long enough to make an accurate judgement of their age?? My typical buck encounter lasts about 5 seconds if that and I shoot most on the run just before they vanish into thick cover.
#3098971 - 12/28/12 12:10 PM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Winchester]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester
I will have to agree that buck is likely 2.5 and just a lil above average for his age and the area he lives in. I also agree that high grading is something that happens anywhere deer hunting is taking place on a wide scale public frame. Too many hunters dont care anything about age and simply are happy with any deer having antlers that fit their agenda. I also disagree that we have, and are killing, less truly big bucks (150+) now than we were several years ago before so many started passing yearlings. I think hunting in TN is the best it has ever been in modern times RIGHT NOW, big antlered bucks included. Actually no comparison, as we are killing WAY more truly top end antlered bucks right now than we ever have in TN.

I agree. We do have more big/older bucks than ever before as far as total numbers. However I can see what they are talking about on the potential negatives of High Grading. Practically though, I don't see it being as bad as it might sound on "paper". The very significant increase in numbers of older bucks in the past 15-20 years more than makes up for them being somewhat smaller than they could be. 20 years ago finding a 4.5yr old buck was something as unattainable as winning a major lottery. What difference does it make that they were bigger on average when there weren't hardly any? I guess if you are wanting to get one in the record books it's important but even if I did kill one that big, I sure wouldn't tell or register it. Who would want that kind of attention on his favorite hunting spot?

And 150" deer are going to be very rare in TN even if you pen fed a herd like cattle. They are like Arnold Swarzenegger in humans. Take 1,000 men and let them follow Arnold's training exactly down to the finest detail and you probably wouldn't get any that would equal him. \:\)

#3100093 - 12/29/12 12:10 PM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Wes,

Look at his black chin-strap. That's a coloration pattern that stays the same for life, and the two bucks have very different chin-straps.

BSK,

Could you elaborate more please?
I've believed all the above pics to be of the same buck.

#3100355 - 12/29/12 05:15 PM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Hunter 257W]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
How do you guys get bucks to stop running long enough to make an accurate judgement of their age?? My typical buck encounter lasts about 5 seconds if that and I shoot most on the run just before they vanish into thick cover.

Corn piles, duh! Kidding.. Try the most obvious technique.. "MAAAAAAA!!!" If that doesn't wotk simply yell "if you don't stop, I will kill you." He should listen ;\)

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3104085 - 01/01/13 10:19 AM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Master Chief]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W

Corn piles, duh! Kidding.. Try the most obvious technique.. "MAAAAAAA!!!" If that doesn't wotk simply yell "if you don't stop, I will kill you." He should listen ;\)

Hmmm, I'll have to try that one. \:\) I guess when they are running, you got nothing to lose....unless he decides to run even faster!

#3105812 - 01/02/13 11:49 AM Re: An Exercise in Aging a Particular Buck [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Wes,

Look at his black chin-strap. That's a coloration pattern that stays the same for life, and the two bucks have very different chin-straps.

BSK,

\:\) True, but what you're seeing is a shadow. \:D

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Wes,

BSK,

Could you elaborate more please?
I've believed all the above pics to be of the same buck.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (GoldenEagle09, shoningram, plinker22, Dan24, Donk, Woodchuck, 9 invisible) and 139 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92921 Topics
1085712 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.