Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3099068 - 12/28/12 01:32 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: EastTNHunter]
passthrough76
4 Point

Loc: Middle, TN

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
Yup! A lot of machismo is involved too often... i.e., mine is bigger than yours.

But mine is bigger! \:\)

Edited by passthrough76 (12/28/12 01:32 PM)

#3099073 - 12/28/12 01:37 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: EastTNHunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
[Kill what makes you happy, and only what makes you happy, not what makes you think makes others think higher of you

Well said. Keep the fun in hunting and kill what makes you happy.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3099076 - 12/28/12 01:38 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: benellivol]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: benellivol
I blame trail cameras. I was better off not knowing those 140 inch deer actually live on the properties I hunt lol

There are days I absolutely agree with you!

Although, to be honest, knowing those big guys are really out there does keep me in my stand more often and longer. So I guess the positives equal the negatives.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3099086 - 12/28/12 01:47 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
passthrough76
4 Point

Loc: Middle, TN

I made a post about this a few years back regarding trail cameras, but it was more about how it may eventually down grade the rack size of bucks.
#3099188 - 12/28/12 03:35 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: passthrough76
When I do finally shoot a mature buck, it makes it all the more rewarding.

As long as that continues to be true, and mature buck harvests occur frequently enough to satisfy you, then more power to you!

I just worry too many hunters are being influenced by peer pressure into thinking only mature bucks are "worthy" of shooting. That mindset will lead to a lot of unhappy hunters in the long run. And I say that because many areas don't have huntable numbers of mature bucks, and the majority of hunters don't have the skills necessary to kill mature bucks consistantly even where those bucks exist (and I include myself in that group).

AWESOME post Bryan. Spot on!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3099512 - 12/28/12 08:00 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

You have to make the call on when to pull the trigger. If you have a good setup and want a mature buck, then you did well in passing. I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. This late in the year when it's colder, I tend to get cold quicker and hunt less. I give it up when I get bored.

#3099829 - 12/29/12 06:18 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: JeepKuntry]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Never been sorry I passed a buck myself

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3100187 - 12/29/12 02:36 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Football Hunter]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Never been sorry I passed a buck myself

X2

#3102258 - 12/30/12 09:57 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

As long as that continues to be true, and mature buck harvests occur frequently enough to satisfy you, then more power to you!

I just worry too many hunters are being influenced by peer pressure into thinking only mature bucks are "worthy" of shooting. That mindset will lead to a lot of unhappy hunters in the long run. And I say that because many areas don't have huntable numbers of mature bucks, and the majority of hunters don't have the skills necessary to kill mature bucks consistantly even where those bucks exist (and I include myself in that group).

Good post BSK and I agree. It is so very hard to kill mature bucks consistently in these hills and hollows of Tennessee. You could bring some of the best mid-western hunters to Middle and East Tn and I would bet good money they'd have hell to kill a mature buck with a few years to do so. I'm a firm believer It's just harder hunting here.

#3102707 - 12/31/12 10:13 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

There you have it! Trophy hunting definitely isnt for everyone and will actually turn many hunters away from hunting. Killing only mature bucks will make hunting for many people miserable, as they simply dont want to learn the skills required, and invest the time and work required, to be succesful on a consistent basis!! Its not easy for most!

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
67 registered (KubotaM4900, gatodoc, reloadxx, TNRazorback, UTGrad, wlf89, 9 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91377 Topics
1068288 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.