Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3099444 - 12/28/12 07:19 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
TnBob
6 Point

Loc: Tenneessee

Thanks. Why do you do the coons flesh side out and the others flesh side in? Do you ever catch bobcats?
#3099651 - 12/28/12 09:38 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
Umpire
12 Point

Loc: Smyrna, TN

Nice
#3099682 - 12/28/12 09:50 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: pass-thru
I would ask the question in the TWRA section for clarification. I have always heard TN trappers refer to the rubber jaw requirement. Check out TCA 70-4-120. The regs are not very clear to me.

I've read the TCA and re-read the hunting guide and I think I'm good with using steel jaws. The main thing I see, and have noticed before, is the restriction on trap size and I assume that is geared to keep folks from trapping bears and seriously injuring humans who might step in a trap.

Steel jaw traps can only be used in water sets and at least 12" back inside the entrance to a burrow or hole. Any open ground sets require a cushion hold trap. Pgs 16 & 17 of the Hunting Guide.

The actual regulations are found in the Manner and Means Proclamation.

Edited by scn (12/28/12 09:51 PM)

#3099714 - 12/28/12 10:14 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

SCN, thanks for the clarification. Hope that fellow reads it before he gets in trouble. Good idea to link up with your local associationa and make sure you're straight on everything.

Bob, each fur has specifications for how to put up. I cathc a bobcat occasionally, got one a few weeks ago.

Here's the same location from the triple the other day, catch from this morning. I had to go around yesterday an redo all my sets after 3" of rain. Glad I did. The yote is in the same set as the yote from the triple. The catch circle from the grey is the little brown spot across the road on the top left of the drainage, the red was in catch circle on the top right of the drainage across the road. One of the best locations I've ever had....3 yotes and 3 fox the past few days.

For this area, this is a very good yote.

Can hardly tell she spent the night in a 550.

#3099719 - 12/28/12 10:21 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

And to be clear, that's not a public road....it's a limited access military installation that just about nobody but me and the gate guards have permission to access, otherwise I wouldn't have a set on the road like that.

#3099927 - 12/29/12 08:44 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: scn

Steel jaw traps can only be used in water sets and at least 12" back inside the entrance to a burrow or hole. Any open ground sets require a cushion hold trap. Pgs 16 & 17 of the Hunting Guide.

Thanks for the clarification SCN, and what I'm about to say is no way a reflection on you. Looks like I fail to find all the bits and pieces scattered throughout the hunting guide yet again. For the record, the section in the guide labeled, "Legal Trapping Devices and Definitions" (bottom pg 14 to top of pg 15) does NOT mention such a restriction. Seems to me like that might have been a good spot to put this info. However, if you keep reading past the sections titled legal hunting hours???, migratory bird regulations???, miscellaneous???, and many more that have NOTHING to do with trapping, onto the next page (pg 16 as stated), then you will find that nice little nugget of information that SCN speaks of. Well, looks like I will buy some more traps if I intend on trapping any on public land. To be honest, I hadn't thought of trying anything other than trapping in this manner on my land, but this really does piss me off. I think from now on the only thing to do with these guides and regs is to read the book cover to cover multiple times since you never know when there might be a paragraph about trapping past the section concerning legal hunting devices for big game. Then get a second and third opinion before I do anything to make sure its legal.
Rant over. Thanks for the posts pass-thru and scn.

#3100164 - 12/29/12 01:50 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
scn
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: scn

Thanks for the clarification SCN, and what I'm about to say is no way a reflection on you. Looks like I fail to find all the bits and pieces scattered throughout the hunting guide yet again. For the record, the section in the guide labeled, "Legal Trapping Devices and Definitions" (bottom pg 14 to top of pg 15) does NOT mention such a restriction. Seems to me like that might have been a good spot to put this info. However, if you keep reading past the sections titled legal hunting hours???, migratory bird regulations???, miscellaneous???, and many more that have NOTHING to do with trapping, onto the next page (pg 16 as stated), then you will find that nice little nugget of information that SCN speaks of. Well, looks like I will buy some more traps if I intend on trapping any on public land. To be honest, I hadn't thought of trying anything other than trapping in this manner on my land, but this really does piss me off. I think from now on the only thing to do with these guides and regs is to read the book cover to cover multiple times since you never know when there might be a paragraph about trapping past the section concerning legal hunting devices for big game. Then get a second and third opinion before I do anything to make sure its legal.
Rant over. Thanks for the posts pass-thru and scn.

Point taken. I'll see if we can consolidate all of the trapping info in one section of the HG next year.

But, it is at least partially covered on page 14 when it says: "Steel traps may only be used in accordance with TCA 70-4-120." The restrictions on top of the ground sets with regular steel jaw traps are pretty clear in the statute.

I realize folks think that every regulation should be clearly spelled out in the Hunting Guide. However, to address everything that is in statute, rule and regulation, or proclamation would require a document of hundreds of pages. It would be totally cost prohibitive to print to distribute free to the public. That is why it is printed in bold on page 4 that: "This publication is not a legal document."

And, before I forget, your comment on trapping on public land stuck out to me. Just to be clear, the prohibition of top of the ground sets with regular steel jaw traps applies to private lands (including your land) as well as public.

We'll see if we can do a better job of consolidating next year. Thanks!

Edited by scn (12/29/12 01:56 PM)

#3100184 - 12/29/12 02:25 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

SCN, I appreciate your reply. I re-googled the TCA mentioned and the first link that comes up for me is a PDF file, 3 pages long and doesn't mention what we've been discussing. However, I kept looking and looked at a different link just below the original(law.justia.com) and it does mention the requirement. Again, it just seems some information is buried when it should be readily available in the guide. I wonder if I can retro-fit the traps I just bought with rubber jaws or inserts - ha ha. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks again.

#3100207 - 12/29/12 02:53 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
scn
16 Point

The best place to access all of this information is off of the TWRA website. On the home page, if you will look at the bottom of the left hand column, you will see a link to rules and regulations.

When you click on that link, it brings up the options of the TCA, Rules and Regulations, and Proclamations.

Under TCA, all of the Wildlife statutes are in Title 70. Boating statutes are in Title 69.

The Manner and Means Proclamation (12-05, I think) covers the specifics on the types of traps that are legal.

As I said, we'll see what we can do to have a better section on trapping in the next HG. If we can't consolidate it easily, I'll try to make sure we add a sentence a least referring to additional information in the other section.

#3100272 - 12/29/12 03:39 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

content Online
Looks like a great time. Congrats!

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, RUGER, Taylor, TeamTndeer, Tennessee Todd, CBU93, gtk, stretch, Cuttin Caller, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JRH, skysoldier173, jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley
13413 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (WORM82, Lost Lake, AndyW, climb_higher, Tennrock, HilhamHawk, 10 invisible) and 164 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13413 Members
42 Forums
96696 Topics
1132236 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.