Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3099425 - 12/28/12 07:03 PM Saskatchewan hunt
bow-hunter
4 Point

Loc: west TN

I am going on a hunt in Saskatchewan next year. I have a choice of the first week or the third week in November but I'm not sure which one I would rather go. I was curious if anybody else on here has hunted there and have a recommendation which week they would go?
#3099438 - 12/28/12 07:14 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: bow-hunter]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

pm Bowriter...
#3099461 - 12/28/12 07:32 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: eightpointer]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

That far north I would say the first week forsure

#3099471 - 12/28/12 07:38 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: hunter drew]
bow-hunter
4 Point

The outfitter says the first week produces as well the third week but from what I read the third week should be during the rut. Just having a hard time deciding.

Edited by bow-hunter (12/28/12 07:39 PM)

#3099486 - 12/28/12 07:43 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: bow-hunter]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I would choose the chasing phase over peak rut anyday.

#3099510 - 12/28/12 07:58 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: timberjack86]
Greenhead
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Look. At the moon phase to avoid the full.

#3099626 - 12/28/12 09:23 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: Greenhead]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

Been there three times.

Never hunted the first week.Outfitter i was with said the first week can be a bust if snow and cold weather doesnt happen.He didnt even offer hunts the first week.
The only good thing about the first week is you know the stands arent worn out.Lots of guides overhunt their stands.I believe i would pass the first week.

Second and third weeks would be my choice.More reliable weather.

Third week should be good next year.

Make sure you dont go on Thanksgiving week or you will pay another $600 dollars for air fare.

Other helpful hints.
Call Thompson Travel Agency in Saskatoon and let them set up your flight and hotel arrangements.Yes you will need a hotel the first night in Saskatoon.Also the last night in Saskatoon.They will also get a rental truck ready for you.Ask for a 4 wheel drive.Truck or Suburban.Depending on number of guys going with you.Some guides will pick you up in Saskatoon.Most dont.

From experience never fly Air Canada.

Make sure 1 person has room on their Credit Card for truck rental.Probably cost you 4-5 hundred dollars for a week.

Must have passport and no felony conviction or Canada may not let you in.They can refuse a person entry for even a DUI if they want to.

Do all money transaction with credit card and let them figure the going rate.

Most of all.Have fun and kill a big un.

#3099633 - 12/28/12 09:27 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: Mr.Bro]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

What outfitter?

#3099649 - 12/28/12 09:37 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: Mr.Bro]
bow-hunter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Mr.Bro
Been there three times.

Never hunted the first week.Outfitter i was with said the first week can be a bust if snow and cold weather doesnt happen.He didnt even offer hunts the first week.
The only good thing about the first week is you know the stands arent worn out.Lots of guides overhunt their stands.I believe i would pass the first week.

Make sure you dont go on Thanksgiving week or you will pay another $600 dollars for air fare.

Other helpful hints.
Call Thompson Travel Agency in Saskatoon and let them set up your flight and hotel arrangements.Yes you will need a hotel the first night in Saskatoon.Also the last night in Saskatoon.They will also get a rental truck ready for you.Ask for a 4 wheel drive.Truck or Suburban.Depending on number of guys going with you.Some guides will pick you up in Saskatoon.Most dont.

Make sure 1 person has room on their Credit Card for truck rental.Probably cost you 4-5 hundred dollars for a week.

Must have passport and no felony conviction or Canada may not let you in.They can refuse a person entry for even a DUI if they want to.

Most of all.Have fun and kill a big un.[/quote
[quote=Mr.Bro]Been there three times.

Other helpful hints.

Most of all.Have fun and kill a big un.

Thanks for the info. We are driving. I was also worried about the first week of the month possibly being above average temperatures. I have to decide something by tomorrow. The outfitter says they feel as good about the first week as the third. He said there is not as much rutting activity but they are more patterned on the bait.

Edited by bow-hunter (12/29/12 07:17 AM)

#3099678 - 12/28/12 09:49 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: Mr.Bro]
bow-hunter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Mr.Bro
What outfitter?

Saskcan outfitter

#3099820 - 12/29/12 05:56 AM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: bow-hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Dont know,but sounds fun!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3103273 - 12/31/12 05:14 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: Football Hunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Good advice from Mr. Bro.

I have been to Sask. and other Canadian provices many times. The next to last time I went, was to Sask. and it was the first week in Nov. had plenty of cold and snow and the chasing pahse was wide open. That far north, temperature is everything and there is no way you can predict it. As someone pointed out, the guides do have a terrible tendency to overhunt all their stands. I do not know of a one that doesn't.

It is also a good idea to check in advance if the hotel has a freezer to hold meat and cape. Most do but they also get booked full. Good to know in advance. Also make sure they have airport pickup and delivery. I reckon most if not all do but leave nothing to chance. If it fits your schedule, Saskatoon is a nice place to bum around. There is a great taxidermist there but I cannot remember the name. Worth going to visit. They are still killing a few of old-time monsters on private ground and they show up at his shop.

I don't know you outfitter but I can sure find out about him if you like.

PM sent.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3103435 - 12/31/12 07:20 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: bowriter]
outdoorsmen22
6 Point

Loc: dyersburg, tn

whats the name of the outfitter?
#3103474 - 12/31/12 07:53 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: outdoorsmen22]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have not hunted Big River but I have hunted just north of there about 75 miles. Big River is closer to the grain belt so should have better bucks but it also stands a real good chance of being over hunted in the past few years.

With any Canadian outfitter these days, you stand a chance of running into that problem. When the boom hit, they booked all they could and as a result, many if not most of the larger bucks got killed. If you can, get the outfitter to show you pictures from his most recent season with names and phone numbers. Then, call the folks and see what year they hunted.

Without a doubt, you will be hunting from enclosed stands over bait. That means you pray for snow and cold. Make sure the stands have heaters. If they don't, stop at Dick's in Saskatoon and buy a heater and several propane cans.

You can never be too careful with any outfitter. So, spend the time and find out all you can about them and don't be afraid you might hurt their feelings.

Of course, if you are already locked in with a deopsit, it doesn't matter. But do check on the heaters. They can mean the difference between a good hunt and a miserable one. A lot of the outfitters want you to hunt all day, (Which I won't do) and it can get dang cold in those little cracker boxes.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3103749 - 12/31/12 11:51 PM Re: Saskatchewan hunt [Re: bowriter]
bow-hunter
4 Point

We have already made a deposit. He does have heaters if wanted. My uncle hunted with them this year and had a good time and was satisfied with them. He hunted all day but they said they would pick him up and carry him back in the evenings if he wanted. He seen as many deer mid day as the morning and evenings. We were just trying to decide which week to go. I think we decided on the first week which is when he went this year. The outfitter said on average they kills just as many big deer the first week as the third but it was up to us.

Edited by bow-hunter (12/31/12 11:53 PM)

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Prowler, dungonehunting, uofmrebel, sll, 1shot 1kill
13219 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (BuckDropper, riverfisher, Puddle duck, gobblegrunt, Doc Stone, alwaysoutdoors) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13219 Members
42 Forums
91876 Topics
1073693 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.085 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.