Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3098943 - 12/28/12 11:49 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Mike Belt]
KillenTime
4 Point

Loc: West Tn.

I see where you are coming from about you not wanting to spend the money everytime you kill a deer. We are not to that point yet, there are five of us and not everybody has gotten to where they want to be as far as there best trophy. If we stay together long enough there will come a time when we will have to decide what to shoot next i guess. I would like to see everybody get a good deer to have on their wall. My opinion is if I shoot a 130" deer and cut his horns off and throw them in the shed to see them once a year when I have to move them to get something, if I would have let him go somebody else might have shot him and mounted him. Not trying to say my theory is what everybody needs to do, but it does work for us. Also take into thought that I dont eat as much deer as some people, so I'm not trying to pack my freezer full. I dont waste deer but I do hunt for horns. Kill or not I enjoy being out there enjoying the outdoors. And yes we have had deer shot that didnt get mounted, mistakes happen. But the five of us dont tag out on bucks every year, that would be 15-20 bucks (cant remember if you can kill 3 or 4 per year)a year off our lease. Thanks for the comments
#3099001 - 12/28/12 12:40 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: KillenTime]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: KillenTime
I see where you are coming from about you not wanting to spend the money everytime you kill a deer. We are not to that point yet, there are five of us and not everybody has gotten to where they want to be as far as there best trophy. If we stay together long enough there will come a time when we will have to decide what to shoot next i guess. I would like to see everybody get a good deer to have on their wall. My opinion is if I shoot a 130" deer and cut his horns off and throw them in the shed to see them once a year when I have to move them to get something, if I would have let him go somebody else might have shot him and mounted him. Not trying to say my theory is what everybody needs to do, but it does work for us. Also take into thought that I dont eat as much deer as some people, so I'm not trying to pack my freezer full. I dont waste deer but I do hunt for horns. Kill or not I enjoy being out there enjoying the outdoors. And yes we have had deer shot that didnt get mounted, mistakes happen. But the five of us dont tag out on bucks every year, that would be 15-20 bucks (cant remember if you can kill 3 or 4 per year)a year off our lease. Thanks for the comments

Great assessment of your situation KillenTime. What you describe is exactly what happens with "to shoot it you have to mount it" club rules. Eventually, everyone has shot about the largest buck they can realistically expect to ever kill and don't want to mount lesser bucks, hence can't kill another buck. Then what? But until that point, the rules work fine.

As long as you realize those rules are just a temporary "means to an end" (producing older, larger bucks), and that eventually those rules will have to be modified, you should be very successful.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3099018 - 12/28/12 12:57 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: BSK]
KillenTime
4 Point

Thats the part where we will have to decide on what to do next. Prob just have to set a limit at 135" or so and just go from there! But until then the bucks will continue to grow and the chances of killing a trophy deer will also increase!
#3099023 - 12/28/12 01:01 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: KillenTime]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

The part that alot of hunters don't really accept is that passing on 50 bucks this year doesn't mean you'll have 50 more bigger racked bucks next year. Man I wish that were true!

#3099037 - 12/28/12 01:14 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Mike Belt]
KillenTime
4 Point

I think you are right on that Mike, some deer just dont have it. I understand that you could have a deer that gets to 110" and that may be all he will ever be. I'm not expecting to pass on 10 bucks this year then have 20 shooters next year. But there has to be some kind of rules in place if you want to hunt mature deer. I guess its like the "Terms and Conditions" of our lease. Everybody is informed of the rules before they pay their membership.
#3099041 - 12/28/12 01:17 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Mike Belt]
deaddownwind
4 Point

Loc: TN

I've come to realize over the past several years that at least half of the racked bucks I pass will be shot by another hunter that same year. My outlook on it is that if I shoot him, he then has zero chance of getting by til next year. If i pass him then his chance of living at least rises a little bit.
#3099063 - 12/28/12 01:30 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
The part that alot of hunters don't really accept is that passing on 50 bucks this year doesn't mean you'll have 50 more bigger racked bucks next year. Man I wish that were true!

How true! You simply can't stockpile bucks.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3099069 - 12/28/12 01:32 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: KillenTime]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: KillenTime
But there has to be some kind of rules in place if you want to hunt mature deer.

Exactly. And for now, your rules work.

#3099070 - 12/28/12 01:34 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: deaddownwind]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: deaddownwind
I've come to realize over the past several years that at least half of the racked bucks I pass will be shot by another hunter that same year. My outlook on it is that if I shoot him, he then has zero chance of getting by til next year. If i pass him then his chance of living at least rises a little bit.

And if you hunted a small property, like many hunters do, you would find that the majority of bucks you pass this year will never be seen in a future year, whether someone kills them or not. That's just the reality of small-land management. In that situation, you simply learn to aim for the best this year has to offer, whatever that is.

#3099143 - 12/28/12 02:49 PM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: BSK]
monsterbuck07
10 Point

Loc: Alabama

Interested to hear what "small property" is referring to? Are we talking 60 to 200 acres? What is small?

Edited by monsterbuck07 (12/28/12 02:50 PM)

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (Model70Man, TNGal, lung-buster, muddy-waders, Mark71211, A_Deer_Hunter, 12 invisible) and 199 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96106 Topics
1125235 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.579 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.