Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3099017 - 12/28/12 12:54 PM Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

Yep.

It is titled: Gangel's Encyclopedia of Modern Cooking - 7th edition. Written by Joseph Gancel, a Frenchman. Copyright: 1920.

Apparently, Mr. Gancel did not care for the cuisine of the Orient..."Culinary art is very poor in China and Japan" begins his chapter on the subject.

Another excerpt (Just for Poser):

"All feet of animals employed in alimentation are edible. When they are well prepared they make a delicious food. The feet of pig, mutton, and veal contain a large substance of gelatine are given to invalids and convalescents. In cooking, do not forget that they should be highly seasoned. Scald well, take out the bones and cook white or braised according to style."

That is in the "Lights" chapter...in butcher terms the lights are composed of: head, ears, brains, tongue, sweetbreads, liver, kidneys, heart, lungs, haslets, fry, feet, palate, snout, tail, and udder.
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#3099021 - 12/28/12 12:59 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: TennesseeRains]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Alright, make me some pig knuckles.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3099029 - 12/28/12 01:08 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Those kinds of books are really cool and interesting, but I find myself getting frustrated with having to look up all of the outdated terms that are out of common use. It certainly makes things a bit more of a challenge, especially if you don't have a lot of culinary experience to draw from.

#3099036 - 12/28/12 01:14 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: Crosshairy]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

\:D

Evidently, not only did Mr. Gancel have a high opinon of his cooking - but of himself in general as well!

From the Introduction:

"This is the first time in history that such a wonderful collection of recipes has been made obtainable for general use. A careful study of the recipes and careful application of the directions for same is all that is necessary to produce the results that have become famous."
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

#3099047 - 12/28/12 01:22 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: TennesseeRains]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Here you go Poser:

Roast Locusts “When cold, take off head, wings and tail, eat same as shrimps.” To store them: “Salted locusts can be conserved in a jar, covered with mutton grease.”

#3099058 - 12/28/12 01:27 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: TennesseeRains]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TennesseeRains
Here you go Poser:

Roast Locusts “When cold, take off head, wings and tail, eat same as shrimps.” To store them: “Salted locusts can be conserved in a jar, covered with mutton grease.”

whew.... that's keeping it WAY real.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3099075 - 12/28/12 01:38 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: Poser]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
Here you go Poser:

GO CARNIVORE GO INVERTEBRATE!

#3099358 - 12/28/12 06:14 PM Re: Squaw got me a "new" cookbook for Xmas [Re: TennesseeRains]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: Poser
Here you go Poser:

GO CARNIVORE GO INVERTEBRATE!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
160 registered (Stumpy, MR Jones07, 260rem, flhunter, Planking, MAN, 12 invisible) and 278 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99427 Topics
1169614 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.