Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3102728 - 12/31/12 10:31 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Winchester]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Winchester, I definitely agree.

I count myself among the group of people that have enough head knowledge to make a run at a big buck, but I lack the motivation and time. I'd rather spend time in the woods and drag any ole deer out a few times a year with a variety of weapons than spend an entire year on a passing chance at the best buck on the property (which might not actually even be a trophy, in my case!).

I guess it's a combination of expectations and priorities. If I had the extra time (if I was single, no kids, and fewer commitments), then I'd probably decide to start hunting antlers on the best properties I have to hunt. I'd also join a QDMA-minded lease for that purpose, I guess.

Instead, I love being able to go hunting once a week and have a decent shot at putting venison on the table, with the extra bonus of being able to share some with friends.

If my son and/or daughter gets eaten up with hunting like their daddy is, then who knows what my situation will look like in 5 years or so...

#3102796 - 12/31/12 11:40 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Crosshairy]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
I count myself among the group of people that have enough head knowledge to make a run at a big buck, but I lack the motivation and time. I'd rather spend time in the woods and drag any ole deer out a few times a year with a variety of weapons than spend an entire year on a passing chance at the best buck on the property (which might not actually even be a trophy, in my case!).

I guess it's a combination of expectations and priorities.

Extremely well said Crosshairy. Mature buck hunting isn't for everybody, even if they have the skills necessary. I'm lucky to hunt in an area with huntable numbers of mature bucks, but I no longer have the desire. I'll gladly shoot one if I see one, but I no longer have the motivation/drive to do what is necessary to kill them consistantly. I've simply gotten to the age/experience-level where I want hunting to be relaxing and fun. I now shoot whatever buck catches my fancy at the time, within reasonable management goals.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3103063 - 12/31/12 02:52 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

Bryan ,I think we have ended up in the same boat, I really want to learn about deer ,to me they are the least studied mammal on earth.
I could ask a hundred questions but I know I would get a hundred different answers .So ,I try to do my own research,Just like this year...No acorns = No Rubs and scrapes,to the average hunter to look at the property ...they would say that it has no BUCKS.But I have trailcam confirmation of at least 13 different bucks that have at least been on the property... some several times.Just how smart is a whitetail,If you give him time he will be smarter then you...I believe most GIANT deer are killed accidentally,you will never hear it ...always some big dramatic story drummed up by the person or hunter.
Another example I would like to use ,I started down to the river one day ..and I noticed the sun shining off an antler ,I did not want to make direct eye contact so I waited for a tree to come into play ,Only 30 yards away not one but 2 6 point bucks never blinking an eye,they let me pass and I am sure went on their way but,It made me wonder How many times has this happened ???

#3103170 - 12/31/12 03:54 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Mike Belt]
Slaughter-06
14 Point

Loc: Dyersburg,Tn.

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
The thing you have to keep in mind is realistic expectations for the area you hunt. We'd all like to nail bucks 140 or better but if the area you hunt doesn't hold a huntable population of them then you're going to have some long seasons with a bunch of unfilled tags. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with your selectivity. You'll go buckless about 99% of the time but it doesn't make any sense to kill a buck just for the sake of killing a buck if you're not satisfied with killing him. For me that's the beauty of a liberal doe season. We eat alot of venison and taking a few does along the way provides freezer meat while somewhat satisfying the itchy trigger finger until the buck I want to shoot comes along.

X2

sure there are a very few Buckes that will hit 140, 150 maybe even a 180" will be killed in your area but they are by no means the norm. A 120" eight point is a very respectable buck for 90% of the Tennessee woods!

#3103205 - 12/31/12 04:18 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
it doesn't make any sense to kill a buck just for the sake of killing a buck if you're not satisfied with killing him.

I do agree with that Mike. I just want hunters going into a "big buck or nothing" strategy with their eyes wide open. You wouldn't believe how many times I talk to clients about their management plan, and every one of the hunters in the group agrees wholeheartedly that they're willing to go a couple of years between buck kills as long as the one the do eventually kill is a good one. And then they experience that and reality sets in. Amazing what a few buckless years will do to hunters' goals!

Now that doesn't mean some hunters can't live with that situation. Some absolutely can. But it all comes down to how badly you want something and what you're willing to give up to get it. In fact, that's exactly what I ask my clients to realistically assess: What are they willing to give up to get? That can actually be tough question to honestly answer once you've gone buckless for a couple of years in a row.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3103214 - 12/31/12 04:26 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Good time Charlie]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie
...I believe most GIANT deer are killed accidentally,you will never hear it ...always some big dramatic story drummed up by the person or hunter.

Although I do think many big bucks are killed by shear accident (the hunter has no idea that caliber buck was in the area), I do think some big buck hunters have learned enough about the habits of older bucks that they up their odds by choosing good locations on the right days. It still comes down to being in the right stand on the right day, but the smart older buck hunter has that happen more frequently because they make very wise stand location choices. I see this all the time in club situations. Even though all of the hunters are puting in about the same number of treestands hours, just a couple of hunters account for every big buck ever killed on the property. They are the ones who understand big buck habits best and make the wisest stand choices.

Quote:
I did not want to make direct eye contact so I waited for a tree to come into play ,Only 30 yards away not one but 2 6 point bucks never blinking an eye,they let me pass and I am sure went on their way but,It made me wonder How many times has this happened ???

It happens all the time. In fact, that's one of the species' main defense mechanisms--to stand stock still and just let danger pass, much like a rabbit will. In fact, there was a study done with radio-collared bucks in TX. They wanted to test how close a human had to get to the buck before the buck would run away. Interestingly, they found that the younger a buck was, the sooner he would run as a person approached. The older a buck was, the closer the person would have to be before the buck would bolt. In fact, the really old bucks did not run at all, with some having to be kicked up out of the grass and brush by a person actually stepping on them before they would run. Those really old bucks had learned to lay low and not move as a person walked by.

#3103594 - 12/31/12 09:05 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: passthrough76]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Originally Posted By: passthrough76
Can take its toll on a hunter and family. I passed up the third 8 pointer that I have seen this year scoring in the 120's, but I don't think I would have been happy if I had shot him. As I have become more selective, if I don't shoot one early during the year it really starts to wear on me. The colder hunts, more time alone in the woods away from family, seeing less deer, etc. When I do finally shoot a mature buck, it makes it all the more rewarding. However, it is a long hard walk to get there sometimes.

I dont pass on 120's because they are what is "reasonable expectation" for a good buck in our area. I am happy to shoot them and as long as i am i will. I would be frustrated passing them because the larger ones are a much longer journey to success. I hunt the entire season to kill one that large....and that is long enough for me. Congrats on your patience!!

#3103669 - 12/31/12 10:11 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Boone 58]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Some great posts here.

True story:
Last season I was reaching a milestone in my bowhunting career. By November of 2011, I was about to arrow my 200th bow killed deer.

The vast majority of these kills were taken on public land. I had accumulated several P/Y bucks and had decided to make my 200th bow kill something special.

I passed on several really good eight points, a few in the 110 to 120 range. I really wanted my 200th kill to be P/Y.

The "monkey on my back" slowly but surely evolved into that 200 number as the season drew to a close for me. Inches of antler became insignificant and by November 30th, I was ready to shoot a spike. This after having passed MANY good representative bucks for the areas I had hunted.

I ended up settling on a 2.5 year old 6 point. I got the hunt and kill on video.

In retrospect I learned several things:
That 6 point was VERY rewarding even though I had begun the season with higher expectations. I think fondly of that morning every time I see the mount on my wall.

Also, I will never again pass on a good, solid eight point with my bow again.

This season, I killed two good bucks. One a tall racked 7 and the other a good Illinois eight point. Both good shots and quick deaths from well placed arrows. And both were VERY satisfying.

I tried the trophy hunting thing for a while. Had some good success and found it to be way too serious, lonely, and just not fun.

I still participate in chasing big old bucks for about 2-3 weeks per season in Illinois, but that is it.

Funny thing is that I seem to do better now than before at seeing and killing "good" bucks.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3103682 - 12/31/12 10:25 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

selective is a better term than picky

#3104242 - 01/01/13 11:42 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: 102
I tried the trophy hunting thing for a while. Had some good success and found it to be way too serious, lonely, and just not fun.

A critical point 102. Some will find the dedication and patience necessary to be successful at that endeavor to be worth it. But most won't. Been there, done that, and it wasn't that much fun.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (TN hunter, JDP, TN Larry, scott co htr, thetoolman, spur necklace 3, 6 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89369 Topics
1045188 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.276 seconds in which 0.035 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.