Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3098955 - 12/28/12 11:54 AM Getting too picky....
passthrough76
4 Point

Loc: Middle, TN

Can take its toll on a hunter and family. I passed up the third 8 pointer that I have seen this year scoring in the 120's, but I don't think I would have been happy if I had shot him. As I have become more selective, if I don't shoot one early during the year it really starts to wear on me. The colder hunts, more time alone in the woods away from family, seeing less deer, etc. When I do finally shoot a mature buck, it makes it all the more rewarding. However, it is a long hard walk to get there sometimes.
#3098963 - 12/28/12 12:00 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: passthrough76]
utfan1
10 Point

Loc: cleveland,tn

its not too picky , just what makes us happy.
#3098975 - 12/28/12 12:16 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: utfan1]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

The thing you have to keep in mind is realistic expectations for the area you hunt. We'd all like to nail bucks 140 or better but if the area you hunt doesn't hold a huntable population of them then you're going to have some long seasons with a bunch of unfilled tags. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with your selectivity. You'll go buckless about 99% of the time but it doesn't make any sense to kill a buck just for the sake of killing a buck if you're not satisfied with killing him. For me that's the beauty of a liberal doe season. We eat alot of venison and taking a few does along the way provides freezer meat while somewhat satisfying the itchy trigger finger until the buck I want to shoot comes along.

#3098994 - 12/28/12 12:37 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Mike Belt]
passthrough76
4 Point

The areas(Davidson and Williamson) I hunt have some good deer every year. During bow I saw a 150 class that was later shot a ridge over. I guess that is another reason I hunt the way I do, because I know that at any moment a big one could step out. Also, I currently don't have a 4 wheeler, so just shooting some does can be a difficult task to get out of the woods.
#3099004 - 12/28/12 12:44 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: passthrough76]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: passthrough76
When I do finally shoot a mature buck, it makes it all the more rewarding.

As long as that continues to be true, and mature buck harvests occur frequently enough to satisfy you, then more power to you!

I just worry too many hunters are being influenced by peer pressure into thinking only mature bucks are "worthy" of shooting. That mindset will lead to a lot of unhappy hunters in the long run. And I say that because many areas don't have huntable numbers of mature bucks, and the majority of hunters don't have the skills necessary to kill mature bucks consistantly even where those bucks exist (and I include myself in that group).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3099007 - 12/28/12 12:48 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BSK

As long as that continues to be true, and mature buck harvests occur frequently enough to satisfy you, then more power to you!

I just worry too many hunters are being influenced by peer pressure into thinking only mature bucks are "worthy" of shooting. That mindset will lead to a lot of unhappy hunters in the long run. And I say that because many areas don't have huntable numbers of mature bucks, and the majority of hunters don't have the skills necessary to kill mature bucks consistantly even where those bucks exist (and I include myself in that group).

Yup! A lot of machismo is involved too often... i.e., mine is bigger than yours.

Kill what makes you happy, and only what makes you happy, not what makes you think makes others think higher of you... Jack!

#3099019 - 12/28/12 12:58 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
benellivol
4 Point

Loc: TN

I blame trail cameras. I was better off not knowing those 140 inch deer actually live on the properties I hunt lol

#3099024 - 12/28/12 01:02 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: benellivol]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

bene---Has it really affected how often or what you squeeze the trigger on?

#3099034 - 12/28/12 01:12 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: EastTNHunter]
deaddownwind
4 Point

Too picky? I don't believe thats what I would call it. Different ppl enjoy differnt things about the sport of hunting. Some ppl hunt for meat while others may strictly hunt for the biggest buck. All in all we all share a common passion. Thats the great experience we get from the outdoors. Personally I am perfectly fine with killing one nice buck every two or three years. I have a great place to hunt so I try to wait on a a nice mature buck. My favorite part of deer hunting is going out and just admiring all the wildlife and how they behave. I catch myself just smiling for no reason sometimes while I'm sitting in my stand. It's just fun to me. I also really enjoy running trail cameras. I guess that helps satisfy my need for killing bucks along with the fact of knowing I could have killed 10+ racks if I really wanted to. At the end of the season I do usally put about 5 doe in the freezer. So I would not really call it picky, Satifying your hunting goals.
#3099060 - 12/28/12 01:29 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
passthrough76
4 Point

BSK, please don't mistake me for one that only goes after a big rack. Sure that is nice, but I'm just as happy to shoot an old gnarly buck. The last deer I took was a nine point that scored around 130, but he was an old mature buck. I have come to the conclusion that the most important asset to a mature buck hunter is time. I went on a run between 2003-2008 where I shot a mature buck every year, but since then I have only shot one other buck and that was last year. The only difference is how much time I have been in the woods. I'm still hunting the same spots, I'm still hunting the same way, but just not near as much as I used to. Of course there is also lady luck that may not have been with me either. Like I said previously, that 150 class buck came up to me at 30 yards but never presented a shot. The guy with the adjacent land actually got two cracks at him. He shot him once in the neck during the first weekend of gun, but didn't kill him. He then shot him later on November 30th. I hunted quite a few times during that strectch on the other side of the ridge(300 yards away) and never saw that buck again.

#3099068 - 12/28/12 01:32 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: EastTNHunter]
passthrough76
4 Point

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
Yup! A lot of machismo is involved too often... i.e., mine is bigger than yours.

But mine is bigger! \:\)

Edited by passthrough76 (12/28/12 01:32 PM)

#3099073 - 12/28/12 01:37 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: EastTNHunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
[Kill what makes you happy, and only what makes you happy, not what makes you think makes others think higher of you

Well said. Keep the fun in hunting and kill what makes you happy.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3099076 - 12/28/12 01:38 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: benellivol]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: benellivol
I blame trail cameras. I was better off not knowing those 140 inch deer actually live on the properties I hunt lol

There are days I absolutely agree with you!

Although, to be honest, knowing those big guys are really out there does keep me in my stand more often and longer. So I guess the positives equal the negatives.

#3099086 - 12/28/12 01:47 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
passthrough76
4 Point

I made a post about this a few years back regarding trail cameras, but it was more about how it may eventually down grade the rack size of bucks.
#3099188 - 12/28/12 03:35 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

AWESOME post Bryan. Spot on!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3099512 - 12/28/12 08:00 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

You have to make the call on when to pull the trigger. If you have a good setup and want a mature buck, then you did well in passing. I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. This late in the year when it's colder, I tend to get cold quicker and hunt less. I give it up when I get bored.

#3099829 - 12/29/12 06:18 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: JeepKuntry]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Never been sorry I passed a buck myself

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3100187 - 12/29/12 02:36 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Football Hunter]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Never been sorry I passed a buck myself

X2

#3102258 - 12/30/12 09:57 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
pjridge
8 Point

Loc: PC

Good post BSK and I agree. It is so very hard to kill mature bucks consistently in these hills and hollows of Tennessee. You could bring some of the best mid-western hunters to Middle and East Tn and I would bet good money they'd have hell to kill a mature buck with a few years to do so. I'm a firm believer It's just harder hunting here.

#3102707 - 12/31/12 10:13 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

There you have it! Trophy hunting definitely isnt for everyone and will actually turn many hunters away from hunting. Killing only mature bucks will make hunting for many people miserable, as they simply dont want to learn the skills required, and invest the time and work required, to be succesful on a consistent basis!! Its not easy for most!

#3102728 - 12/31/12 10:31 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Winchester]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Winchester, I definitely agree.

I count myself among the group of people that have enough head knowledge to make a run at a big buck, but I lack the motivation and time. I'd rather spend time in the woods and drag any ole deer out a few times a year with a variety of weapons than spend an entire year on a passing chance at the best buck on the property (which might not actually even be a trophy, in my case!).

I guess it's a combination of expectations and priorities. If I had the extra time (if I was single, no kids, and fewer commitments), then I'd probably decide to start hunting antlers on the best properties I have to hunt. I'd also join a QDMA-minded lease for that purpose, I guess.

Instead, I love being able to go hunting once a week and have a decent shot at putting venison on the table, with the extra bonus of being able to share some with friends.

If my son and/or daughter gets eaten up with hunting like their daddy is, then who knows what my situation will look like in 5 years or so...

#3102796 - 12/31/12 11:40 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Crosshairy]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
I count myself among the group of people that have enough head knowledge to make a run at a big buck, but I lack the motivation and time. I'd rather spend time in the woods and drag any ole deer out a few times a year with a variety of weapons than spend an entire year on a passing chance at the best buck on the property (which might not actually even be a trophy, in my case!).

I guess it's a combination of expectations and priorities.

Extremely well said Crosshairy. Mature buck hunting isn't for everybody, even if they have the skills necessary. I'm lucky to hunt in an area with huntable numbers of mature bucks, but I no longer have the desire. I'll gladly shoot one if I see one, but I no longer have the motivation/drive to do what is necessary to kill them consistantly. I've simply gotten to the age/experience-level where I want hunting to be relaxing and fun. I now shoot whatever buck catches my fancy at the time, within reasonable management goals.

#3103063 - 12/31/12 02:52 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Tazewell

Bryan ,I think we have ended up in the same boat, I really want to learn about deer ,to me they are the least studied mammal on earth.
I could ask a hundred questions but I know I would get a hundred different answers .So ,I try to do my own research,Just like this year...No acorns = No Rubs and scrapes,to the average hunter to look at the property ...they would say that it has no BUCKS.But I have trailcam confirmation of at least 13 different bucks that have at least been on the property... some several times.Just how smart is a whitetail,If you give him time he will be smarter then you...I believe most GIANT deer are killed accidentally,you will never hear it ...always some big dramatic story drummed up by the person or hunter.
Another example I would like to use ,I started down to the river one day ..and I noticed the sun shining off an antler ,I did not want to make direct eye contact so I waited for a tree to come into play ,Only 30 yards away not one but 2 6 point bucks never blinking an eye,they let me pass and I am sure went on their way but,It made me wonder How many times has this happened ???

#3103170 - 12/31/12 03:54 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Mike Belt]
Slaughter-06
14 Point

Loc: Dyersburg,Tn.

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
The thing you have to keep in mind is realistic expectations for the area you hunt. We'd all like to nail bucks 140 or better but if the area you hunt doesn't hold a huntable population of them then you're going to have some long seasons with a bunch of unfilled tags. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with your selectivity. You'll go buckless about 99% of the time but it doesn't make any sense to kill a buck just for the sake of killing a buck if you're not satisfied with killing him. For me that's the beauty of a liberal doe season. We eat alot of venison and taking a few does along the way provides freezer meat while somewhat satisfying the itchy trigger finger until the buck I want to shoot comes along.

X2

sure there are a very few Buckes that will hit 140, 150 maybe even a 180" will be killed in your area but they are by no means the norm. A 120" eight point is a very respectable buck for 90% of the Tennessee woods!

#3103205 - 12/31/12 04:18 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
it doesn't make any sense to kill a buck just for the sake of killing a buck if you're not satisfied with killing him.

I do agree with that Mike. I just want hunters going into a "big buck or nothing" strategy with their eyes wide open. You wouldn't believe how many times I talk to clients about their management plan, and every one of the hunters in the group agrees wholeheartedly that they're willing to go a couple of years between buck kills as long as the one the do eventually kill is a good one. And then they experience that and reality sets in. Amazing what a few buckless years will do to hunters' goals!

Now that doesn't mean some hunters can't live with that situation. Some absolutely can. But it all comes down to how badly you want something and what you're willing to give up to get it. In fact, that's exactly what I ask my clients to realistically assess: What are they willing to give up to get? That can actually be tough question to honestly answer once you've gone buckless for a couple of years in a row.

#3103214 - 12/31/12 04:26 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Good time Charlie]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie
...I believe most GIANT deer are killed accidentally,you will never hear it ...always some big dramatic story drummed up by the person or hunter.

Although I do think many big bucks are killed by shear accident (the hunter has no idea that caliber buck was in the area), I do think some big buck hunters have learned enough about the habits of older bucks that they up their odds by choosing good locations on the right days. It still comes down to being in the right stand on the right day, but the smart older buck hunter has that happen more frequently because they make very wise stand location choices. I see this all the time in club situations. Even though all of the hunters are puting in about the same number of treestands hours, just a couple of hunters account for every big buck ever killed on the property. They are the ones who understand big buck habits best and make the wisest stand choices.

Quote:
I did not want to make direct eye contact so I waited for a tree to come into play ,Only 30 yards away not one but 2 6 point bucks never blinking an eye,they let me pass and I am sure went on their way but,It made me wonder How many times has this happened ???

It happens all the time. In fact, that's one of the species' main defense mechanisms--to stand stock still and just let danger pass, much like a rabbit will. In fact, there was a study done with radio-collared bucks in TX. They wanted to test how close a human had to get to the buck before the buck would run away. Interestingly, they found that the younger a buck was, the sooner he would run as a person approached. The older a buck was, the closer the person would have to be before the buck would bolt. In fact, the really old bucks did not run at all, with some having to be kicked up out of the grass and brush by a person actually stepping on them before they would run. Those really old bucks had learned to lay low and not move as a person walked by.

#3103594 - 12/31/12 09:05 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: passthrough76]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Can take its toll on a hunter and family. I passed up the third 8 pointer that I have seen this year scoring in the 120's, but I don't think I would have been happy if I had shot him. As I have become more selective, if I don't shoot one early during the year it really starts to wear on me. The colder hunts, more time alone in the woods away from family, seeing less deer, etc. When I do finally shoot a mature buck, it makes it all the more rewarding. However, it is a long hard walk to get there sometimes.

I dont pass on 120's because they are what is "reasonable expectation" for a good buck in our area. I am happy to shoot them and as long as i am i will. I would be frustrated passing them because the larger ones are a much longer journey to success. I hunt the entire season to kill one that large....and that is long enough for me. Congrats on your patience!!

#3103669 - 12/31/12 10:11 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Boone 58]
10 Point

Some great posts here.

True story:
Last season I was reaching a milestone in my bowhunting career. By November of 2011, I was about to arrow my 200th bow killed deer.

The vast majority of these kills were taken on public land. I had accumulated several P/Y bucks and had decided to make my 200th bow kill something special.

I passed on several really good eight points, a few in the 110 to 120 range. I really wanted my 200th kill to be P/Y.

The "monkey on my back" slowly but surely evolved into that 200 number as the season drew to a close for me. Inches of antler became insignificant and by November 30th, I was ready to shoot a spike. This after having passed MANY good representative bucks for the areas I had hunted.

I ended up settling on a 2.5 year old 6 point. I got the hunt and kill on video.

In retrospect I learned several things:
That 6 point was VERY rewarding even though I had begun the season with higher expectations. I think fondly of that morning every time I see the mount on my wall.

Also, I will never again pass on a good, solid eight point with my bow again.

This season, I killed two good bucks. One a tall racked 7 and the other a good Illinois eight point. Both good shots and quick deaths from well placed arrows. And both were VERY satisfying.

I tried the trophy hunting thing for a while. Had some good success and found it to be way too serious, lonely, and just not fun.

I still participate in chasing big old bucks for about 2-3 weeks per season in Illinois, but that is it.

Funny thing is that I seem to do better now than before at seeing and killing "good" bucks.

#3103682 - 12/31/12 10:25 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

selective is a better term than picky

#3104242 - 01/01/13 11:42 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: 102
I tried the trophy hunting thing for a while. Had some good success and found it to be way too serious, lonely, and just not fun.

A critical point 102. Some will find the dedication and patience necessary to be successful at that endeavor to be worth it. But most won't. Been there, done that, and it wasn't that much fun.

#3104259 - 01/01/13 11:47 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

A critical point 102. Some will find the dedication and patience necessary to be successful at that endeavor to be worth it. But most won't. Been there, done that, and it wasn't that much fun.
I dont knoew what term to call it.for me,shooting a young small antlered deer,is not stirring at all,just have no desire to shoot small ones,do like seeing them though.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3104297 - 01/01/13 12:07 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

I dont knoew what term to call it.for me,shooting a young small antlered deer,is not stirring at all,just have no desire to shoot small ones,do like seeing them though.

I'm not even talking about shooting "small-antlered" bucks (although "small-antlered" is relative and a matter of opinion). I'm talking about waiting for only the largest-antlered mature bucks. That cuts way, way down on potential targets!

I guess it would more accurate to say that I sure am having a lot more fun now that I've included middle-aged "medium-antlered" bucks in my target list!

#3104376 - 01/01/13 01:09 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

The reason i "trophy" hunt when i say that i mean mature deer not just big racked deer is the challenge. It is one of the best feelings in the world when you finally connect with a mature deer. You are being picky but you know what you want to kill and your being disciplined in your hunting. I think a lot of hunters want to be trophy hunters but just don't have the discipline for it nor do they have the patients for it. It is tough and really can drive you crazy but in the end it's one of the most rewarding things a hunter can accomplish. In my opinion

#3104384 - 01/01/13 01:15 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Ok,
I will spill the beans.
I got injured on November 16th and had a nerve in my back render my bow arm (left) too weak to hold my bow while I drew back.

So I got out a muzzleloader that I purchased 10 years ago, but as of this season, had never killed a deer with it.
I killed two with this gun with a gimp left arm (I am right handed).

After that, I kept re-habing my back and rebuilding my strength in my left arm, while occasionally rifle hunting.

Honestly, I have absolutely no desire to kill a small buck, a doe, or a 170 inch Booner with a rifle. Muzzle loader or pistol maybe, bow definitely.

So anyone who says they have no desire to kill a small buck, I understand. I also assume they, for the most part, are speaking of gun hunting.

I, on the other hand, truly enjoy executing a well placed arrow and seeing a deer fall within sight.

Any deer, except fawns. But especially mature deer.

#3105669 - 01/02/13 09:42 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

BSK,

I was going to quote the same line of 102's post! The most critical word of that being "lonely". I cannot imagine how much my hunting habits would have to change. My dad, brother, and most of my friends are not trophy hunters by any stretch. I share all of my hunting spots with my family, and most of them with my friends.

If I were going to get truly serious about killing mature deer, most of my spots are so small that I would have to either find somewhere else to hunt or stop bringing them along. That's half the reason of going (if not more)!

If I can't enjoy my time with friends and family, then me standing over a deer with no one to share it with at the end of the day for EVERY SINGLE HUNT has very little appeal. The talks with family and friends on the drives or walking in is what binds us together as "brothers" and keeps us close in spite of sometimes spending little time together otherwise.

I'm not trading that for a deer with a fatter neck and some extra bone on his head.

#3105697 - 01/02/13 10:15 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Crosshairy]
10 Point

BSK,

I was going to quote the same line of 102's post! The most critical word of that being "lonely". I cannot imagine how much my hunting habits would have to change. My dad, brother, and most of my friends are not trophy hunters by any stretch. I share all of my hunting spots with my family, and most of them with my friends.

If I were going to get truly serious about killing mature deer, most of my spots are so small that I would have to either find somewhere else to hunt or stop bringing them along. That's half the reason of going (if not more)!

If I can't enjoy my time with friends and family, then me standing over a deer with no one to share it with at the end of the day for EVERY SINGLE HUNT has very little appeal. The talks with family and friends on the drives or walking in is what binds us together as "brothers" and keeps us close in spite of sometimes spending little time together otherwise.

I'm not trading that for a deer with a fatter neck and some extra bone on his head.

EXACTLY!!! Well said.

I still hunt in an area where I expect to see and kill a Pope and Young deer. But all of us expect this when we hunt this particularly State. And all of us know to be very careful about talking too much until we have punched our tag. After this, we help one another. Before this, it is just too hard.

Finding, hunting, and arrowing a mature, public land buck is VERY difficult. And since public land hunting makes up most of my hunting endeavors, I would be wise to either hunt alone, or keep my mouth shut about what I am seeing and where I am hunting. There is enough pressure from those I compete with that I DON'T know (on public land) to worry about competing with the guys I do know.

THis is why I mix it up a little. I hunt about 2-3 weeks per year for a good buck, the rest of the time, unless I find out about one VERY close to home and convenient to hunt, I am a very "cooperative" hunter. Sharing areas and "average" deer info with family and friends.

#3105727 - 01/02/13 10:35 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: 102]
passthrough76
4 Point

THis is why I mix it up a little. I hunt about 2-3 weeks per year for a good buck, the rest of the time, unless I find out about one VERY close to home and convenient to hunt, I am a very "cooperative" hunter. Sharing areas and "average" deer info with family and friends.

I have a feeling that as my boys start to spend more time with me in the woods, I will start hunting like this as well. The last thing I want to do is bore them and turn them away from hunting because my standards are too high. The three young bucks I mentioned would be great first kills for them.

Edited by passthrough76 (01/02/13 10:35 AM)

#3106108 - 01/02/13 02:55 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I think a lot of hunters want to be trophy hunters but just don't have the discipline for it nor do they have the patients for it. It is tough and really can drive you crazy but in the end it's one of the most rewarding things a hunter can accomplish. In my opinion

I absolutely agree deerhunter10. Some hunters don't have the discipline or patience to be a trophy hunter. But the point I'm trying to make is that even for those who do have the patience and discipline, sometimes the reward (killing a mature buck) isn't worth the effort.

I'm lucky enough to hunt property that has a few mature bucks every year, and almost always has one or two true "trophy" bucks (high-scoring mature buck). I spent years hunting these bucks, and was successful at it. However, eventually I realized that to me the rewards weren't worth the effort. Eventually, I found that that particular reward wasn't what I really wanted from my hunting experience. But that change in goals probably has more to do with my age and the number of years I've been an obsessed deer hunter than anything else. Basically, what we want from hunting changes with our experience-level.

#3106120 - 01/02/13 03:01 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: Crosshairy]
BSK
Non-Typical

We are definitely on the same page Crosshairy. As I've gotten older, I've come to realize the shared experience of hunting with family is what I really like about deer hunting. For me, it has become far more about the social experience--the stories that will be told, retold, and purposefully exaggerated in fun about those experiences--than the size of the bucks killed.

#3106518 - 01/02/13 07:25 PM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: BSK]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

For me, my decision to target only mature bucks evolved over time. I'm fortunate to hunt and manage private property that allows me to personally reap the benefits of letting young bucks pass. My mindset changed only after I had killed several younger bucks. When I would kill a younger buck, I began wondering what he would have looked like the following year had I not killed him.

I certainly would not have the same mindset if I hunted public land or land I could not manage. Monitoring and patterning bucks from their youth until they are mature is part of what makes chasing mature bucks so enjoyable for me. I enjoy the entire process- not just the actual kill. In other words, the actual kill is not the only rewarding aspect of it.

Sharing trail camera pictures with my friends and family is almost as enjoyable as sharing the actual kill with them. Knowing those bucks are out there and that I played a part in their ability to reach maturity is rewarding in itself. Watching a group of does funnel through an area I created results in a succesful hunt for me. The anticipation that the buck I'm after could step in front of me at any time is satisfying enough to keep me coming back for more.

Without the ability to enjoy these aspects of hunting, being too picky could drive a guy insane. Don't force yourself to accept standards that are outside of your ability to control or enjoy. Choose the standards that make hunting enjoyable and let time and experience take care of the rest.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

#3106981 - 01/03/13 12:24 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: String Music]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

great post string music !

#3107225 - 01/03/13 08:03 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: String Music]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: String Music
I'm fortunate to hunt and manage private property that allows me to personally reap the benefits of letting young bucks pass.

I certainly would not have the same mindset if I hunted public land or land I could not manage. Monitoring and patterning bucks from their youth until they are mature is part of what makes chasing mature bucks so enjoyable for me. I enjoy the entire process- not just the actual kill. In other words, the actual kill is not the only rewarding aspect of it.

Knowing those bucks are out there and that I played a part in their ability to reach maturity is rewarding in itself.

Extremely well said, and great points String Music.

In 2013, the hunters on my property (all family) will complete the 20th year of our private-land QDM program. We've definitely seen just what can be accomplished using those harvest strategies. And other than watching the results of a few long-term habitat experiments, we've seen that the results of QDM harvest guidelines eventually "max out" and stabilize.

Perhaps it's just our collective personalities (very "new goal" oriented), but once we've acheived one goal (How far can you push a QDM program on this sized land in this habitat?), we find we need a new goal; to move on to "something else." And our new goal appears to be "What produces the most enjoyable hunting experience?"

#3107249 - 01/03/13 08:18 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: String Music]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: String Music
For me, my decision to target only mature bucks evolved over time. I'm fortunate to hunt and manage private property that allows me to personally reap the benefits of letting young bucks pass. My mindset changed only after I had killed several younger bucks. When I would kill a younger buck, I began wondering what he would have looked like the following year had I not killed him.

Sharing trail camera pictures with my friends and family is almost as enjoyable as sharing the actual kill with them. Knowing those bucks are out there and that I played a part in their ability to reach maturity is rewarding in itself. Watching a group of does funnel through an area I created results in a succesful hunt for me. The anticipation that the buck I'm after could step in front of me at any time is satisfying enough to keep me coming back for more.

Without the ability to enjoy these aspects of hunting, being too picky could drive a guy insane. Don't force yourself to accept standards that are outside of your ability to control or enjoy. Choose the standards that make hunting enjoyable and let time and experience take care of the rest.

Couldn't have said it better. That's me to a "T" right there. I have a feeling I don't have as much property as String Music but between our small farm and my neighbor (who has about 3x as much property) we've really taken an area where deer were practically non-existent and made something out of it. It truly is amazing, and for us, the TOTAL experience is what we crave!

#3107415 - 01/03/13 10:24 AM Re: Getting too picky.... [Re: passthrough76]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

What ever floats your boat !

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (TNCHRIS, vanleerbuckbuster, 1 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.