Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3098609 - 12/28/12 06:52 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: parkerxbowhunter]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

one buck per season.....maybe one doe to eat.

I don't think of it as a standard, but more of a choice.

If I want to shoot it, I will, if I do not, I will not.....my choice and no one can tell me any differently.

As luck has had it, two BIG deer eluded me the past two years......one killed by another hunter and one has not been seen since early archery of 2011.

Going to put forth the effort the last week to ten days of the season.....

If I see one that I want, I'll take him. If not, then I will not settle for a deer on the last day that I would not shoot the first day....

again, my choice.

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3098728 - 12/28/12 08:54 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

To me, deer are first and foremost MEAT. Ideal situation for bucks in the first half of the season is that I see a big doe and a little buck walk out - in that situation, the buck gets to walk.

This year, however, my dad, brother, and I all saw tons of small bucks and no does for 2 solid weeks. In that situation, 3 small bucks got shot between the three of us.

Basically, I look at the state of my freezer versus the time I have left in the season, and take into account how many deer I've been seeing. If I'm confident of seeing some does, then I will let small bucks pass for a while. As the season draws to a close, I'll shoot whatever I can get if I still need a deer.

My goal is three deer for me. I have lots of people that have asked me for some meat at work. I guess my ideal deer count would be 4-5 per season, but I usually only get 2.

If I see a big buck on one of the properties I hunt, I'll go after him specifically a couple of times or more, depending on my free time, but I'm not going to "waste" a whole season passing on deer just to get some antlers.

#3098729 - 12/28/12 08:55 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: KillenTime]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: KillenTime
On our lease you can shoot what you want to mount. Not everybody has the same standards. If the biggest deer you ever killed is a 115" you may want to mount a 125-130". On the other side somebody else may have a 140" on the wall, so they may be looking for one 145"+. So basically our rule is if its worth the price for you to mount we are proud for you. It pays off in the long run for getting mature deer. I look at it that if I'm gonna just cut his horns off and throw them in the shed, wait another year and put them on the wall. I may go a couple years without killing a Buck but that doesn't bother me

That's the best way I've heard of and seems pretty fair to me. Great set of rules there.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3098737 - 12/28/12 09:04 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: wobblegobble]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: wobblegobble
Deaddownwind, u guys along that mountain have a lot of idiots fooled that they can grow em like yall, but the key to yalls method is yall do have 1,000 and 1000's of acres between yall! I hunt 120 acres and can't grow em like yall because everyone around me blast anything with horns! So for me when in Rome!LOL if its 2.5 or better its dead.

I'm pretty sure I can debate the second half of your post about the acreage...we have similar acreage and I have seen a big difference in the last 5 years in the number of mature bucks..but, I'll wait one more year to make sure so as not to jinx myself..

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3098814 - 12/28/12 10:05 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: KillenTime]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

On our lease you can shoot what you want to mount. Not everybody has the same standards. If the biggest deer you ever killed is a 115" you may want to mount a 125-130". On the other side somebody else may have a 140" on the wall, so they may be looking for one 145"+. So basically our rule is if its worth the price for you to mount we are proud for you. It pays off in the long run for getting mature deer. I look at it that if I'm gonna just cut his horns off and throw them in the shed, wait another year and put them on the wall. I may go a couple years without killing a Buck but that doesn't bother me

I guess that's not a bad system. Curious though - do you guys ever agree to cull a particular buck with bad antler genetics? Also, is it just a "gentleman's agreement" regarding the mounting thing, or do you guys actually verify that a particular buck got mounted? Does it have to be a shoulder mount, or do Euro mounts count?

In other words, if you saw a big six point and said "hey, I think I'll get that mounted" and shoot it, are you allowed to change your mind if he gets some...ground shrinkage?

#3098846 - 12/28/12 10:28 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Redfred16]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Redfred16

That's the best way I've heard of and seems pretty fair to me. Great set of rules there.

If the goal of all hunters is big bucks, it's a fine system. This allows each hunter to decide what is "big" to him/her.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3098852 - 12/28/12 10:35 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Redfred16]
KillenTime
4 Point

Loc: West Tn.

Thanks, you do get results and a chance to kill bigger deer! this years 110" will be next years 130"+
#3098867 - 12/28/12 10:48 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Crosshairy]
KillenTime
4 Point

Loc: West Tn.

If there is a bad genetic deer you can shoot him to get him out of the pool. As far as the mounts we mainly do shoulder mounts. Dont get me wrong sometimes there is a deer shot that shouldn't be. We dont have fines or anything like that. We all know each other and respect the rules. We do let the youth kill one buck and then either a doe or a bigger buck. We just don't shoot a buck first thing to say we got one, we shoot whats a trophy to the individual. Works great!
#3098874 - 12/28/12 10:55 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: KillenTime]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

This year's 110 "might" be next year's 130. It all depends on how old he is and his genetic disposition. One thing for sure is that a dead 110 this year will never be a 130 next year.

I'm curious about your rules. Are you saying that every buck that has been killed on your property has been mounted? Personally I probably won't mount another deer but I don't want to quit deer hunting because of that. I still hold out for bigger bucks but I'd hate to know that any or every time I sqeezed the trigger it was going to cost me $400-$500.

#3098905 - 12/28/12 11:15 AM Re: Buck Standards. [Re: Mike Belt]
deaddownwind
4 Point

Loc: TN

Use Bryan's Trophy Game and you will only be out of $250 or so. does a great job. See below. He is from southern middle TN.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
30 registered (ruger7mag, 7mm08, philburr, jaybird62, DKC2, Deck78, 3 invisible) and 87 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99543 Topics
1171095 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.