Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3097642 - 12/27/12 01:41 PM Food plot size?
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
so let's say there is some good food source already available but you want to plant a small patch of something to go around a mineral lick... not looking for full blown food plots but rather a little extra browse. Is it unrealistic for a very small plot, say in the range of 20-30 yards wide? I am wondering if the deer would just eat everything growing in it, or if the available browse already existing would keep some of the pressure off it. Just looking for ideas for a "hot spot" to put a salt lick and trail camera during the off season. If I could get away with a small patch of greenery, what would you plant, some type of clover? Maybe this would just be a wasted effort and I should just stick out a salt block?

...since last deer season

#3097724 - 12/27/12 02:43 PM Re: Food plot size? [Re: catman529]
primos32
6 Point

Loc: Savannah, TN

In my opinion, if your just wanting pics in the off season then it's hard to beat a trophy rock in the spring and throughout the summer. Especially when there is good habitat around to draw the deer in. The TR just puts them in front of the camera. I think you would have just as good of results with the TR over the small food plot effort.
#3097856 - 12/27/12 04:39 PM Re: Food plot size? [Re: primos32]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

If you want my opinion Ill give it.You can do almost the same thing by just spraying the area you want the new growth to be in and not planting anything.Knock down the tallest stuff or or just mow it,new growth will be headed your way.Throw some rye grain in there and that would only make it better.No needto till,just scratch it up some.

#3097910 - 12/27/12 05:25 PM Re: Food plot size? [Re: diamond hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: diamond hunter
If you want my opinion Ill give it.You can do almost the same thing by just spraying the area you want the new growth to be in and not planting anything.Knock down the tallest stuff or or just mow it,new growth will be headed your way.Throw some rye grain in there and that would only make it better.No needto till,just scratch it up some.
I like it, I was thinking a similar way. Just clear out the area, rake it down, expose the bare ground and maybe throw down some seeds and rake them in a bit. An put the TR in the middle of the clearing and a camera on the edge... Ill see what I can come up with

...since last deer season

#3099531 - 12/28/12 08:10 PM Re: Food plot size? [Re: catman529]
chip
6 Point

Loc: spring hill

I like to put my tropht rocks along trails between night time use areas and daytime bedding areas . Around the best oaks in the area so the deer will already be using the area heavy when the acorns start dropping . You have double the odds of getting a shot because some will come for salt even if they aren't hungry for acorns . I average around 800 pics a week per site from july thru end of october . I usually see all the bucks from my camera during bow season usually multiple times .
People complain that deer don't use their salt as much after bow season starts . Thats because they don't need it as much during cooler weather . But they will use it if it's near a food source and convienient I get use year round at mine .
As far as food plots how about renting one of those dr mowers and mowing some of that grown up field you hunt . Then you can spray it and rake it out and put some wheat or rye on it . That stuff doesn't need the ground contact other seed needs to germinate . Heck wheat will sprout in the back of your truck in a week . Hope this helps some and hollar at me if you want to get after some turkeys . I'm covered up in em !

#3102658 - 12/31/12 09:47 AM Re: Food plot size? [Re: chip]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Does the property you are hunting have decent food sources in the mid/late season? If so, then I probably wouldn't do a whole lot of work, because the spring/summer/fall in most places has such an abundance of food that deer certainly don't need supplemental food. A mineral site of some kind generally works great for warmer weather pictures.

If you are seeing some deer shift off the property by now and it appears to be food related, then you might start some small projects for mini-plots. They won't generate enough food to hold huge numbers of deer on your place or anything, but they can directionally improve your odds of seeing deer in that area.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (Beekeeper, SKFOOTER, Rebel, RiverBuck10, Grandslam11, Timber Ghost, 11 invisible) and 156 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93313 Topics
1089531 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.149 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.