Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#3095954 - 12/26/12 10:15 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: in the dog house!]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
I hunt from a climber, so i can be in a different tree every hunt if i want. And i hunt in my climber facing the tree, I never turn around in it (feel much safer with my weight always biting into the tree ) so the tree is always between me and where the deer come from plus it makes a nice rest for my gun.

You make a good point about facing the tree in a climber. I agree. When I used a climber, I wanedt my weight out as far from the tree as possible so those spikes were really dug into the tree. The closer to the tree you get the more vertical force you transfer to the contact points and the more likely you are to end up on the ground! \:\(

#3095982 - 12/26/12 10:29 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Very very rarely hunt from the ground, only when the situation forces me too. I much prefer to be 20+ ft up if at all possible.
#3096138 - 12/26/12 12:50 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Winchester]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

156p&y,

Are you hunting places you have scouted/hunted in the past and are very familiar with? I like to use a strategy similar to yours, but I find myself always worried about what I'm missing. I sometimes press on farther only to discover that I would have been better off sitting down 50 yards earlier. At that point, I feel like I have ruined my chances by walking over the area where deer are most likely to come through. How do you handle this?

#3097010 - 12/27/12 12:17 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: WMAn]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

I've hunted this place for many years, and it has taken me many years to figure out how to move on it. When it comes down to it I really don't know exactly where the deer will be coming from but I try to move in a pattern that will not mess myself up. Now whether or not they are coming in from adjoining property I really try not to worry about that because I can't hunt it anyway. I mainly do not like to bump deer in the morning because my hunt has just started, I don't really care about the afternoon when I walk out because the deer have hours upon hours to go anywhere and forget about it during the night.

Even though I do this on land I hunt on a regular basis I prefer to do it more on new tracts of land more than anything. Basically because I get to scout the whole time I'm hunting my way in. There have been many times that I thought I had a determined destination but sign has told me to sit down and hunt; and it has paid off many times.

I do think that this method of hunting works by far the best during the rut. I firmly believe that just a matter of 200 yards can be the difference of seeing all the rutting activity or seeing none at all; which is the main reason I do not like to bump deer during the rut. If I am seeing deer I just sit and watch, if I am not I keep moving.

During early and late season I would rather sit in one spot, it seems the deer move very little in distance from bedding to feeding areas this time of year.

As for not walking over areas the deer will be coming from I almost always try to move in a U shape or L shape downwind to get to where I want to go. I'm not just wandering but checking places of interest along the way.

It also helps if your hunting open hardwoods, thicket stuff can be nearly impossible to move through without spreading scent everywhere, and I usually will skirt the edges around thick cover.

I would also say my binoculars save me more than anything, but for myself I have to slow myself down a considerable amount and force myself to use them. I've even had experiences where I spot deer within 30 yards laying down that I would have never known they were there without the optics.

A lot of it is a mental game though for me. If I find myself thinking "I should hunt here" I have learned that I just need to listen to that and relax, sit down, and hunt. When I over think is when I screw myself.

I do know one thing for a fact; no matter how long I have hunted a farm things change weekly. Deer will for sure move through certain areas always but the sign I want to hunt always changes. So basically for me I am using it more as a way of scouting than hunting; which means I probably scout more than I hunt during rifle. It is the only way I can sort of assemble a "pattern" on a mature deer. Plus I have had big deer literally fall into my lap by hunting this way and following the sign.

My dad and I were talking about this exact subject the other night and we have killed more than 90% of our wall hangers by hunting this way, from the ground. We think your scent saturates a massive area when hunting stationary from daylight. I have 13 mounts in my house ranging from 120-175 and 11 of them have been from the ground. I think my dad has about 7 and all of his are from the ground and range from public to private land.

Sorry for such a long post but I obviously believe in this method and enjoy it.

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (AllOutdoors, backwoods7, JDP, downthebrown, junebugwapiti, SMB44, 1 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93342 Topics
1089906 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.098 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.