Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3096730 - 12/26/12 07:54 PM Good day on the k-9 line.
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

I got my traps run this morning just before the rain hit. I guess the front really had them moving last night. I have three sides of an intersetion of an access road and drainage ditch set, and picked up a grey, red and yote at that location......probably a once in a lifetime triple and unfortately I didn't have my camera! Thrilled with the catch though.

#3096778 - 12/26/12 08:20 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
bjohnson
6 Point

Loc: Fort Hood, TX

Nice...

#3096781 - 12/26/12 08:21 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: bjohnson]
tarsalgland
4 Point

Loc: hamilton co.

cool
#3096824 - 12/26/12 08:44 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: tarsalgland]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

content Online
Cool
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3096835 - 12/26/12 08:55 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: Rockhound]
7wsm
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

happy Online
man u have your work cut out for ya there don't you .hey by the way whats the best way to rid beavers from a place man they are destroying my place
#3096840 - 12/26/12 08:57 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: 7wsm]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Good deal

#3096873 - 12/26/12 09:11 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: 7wsm]
pass-thru
10 Point

Originally Posted By: 7wsm
man u have your work cut out for ya there don't you .hey by the way whats the best way to rid beavers from a place man they are destroying my place

Seriously, the best way is to find somebody who knows how to trap them and treat them right \:\) Just down the road from where I'm trapping these k9's, a guy had me look at what the beavers were doing to his back yard. I never seen so much damage in such a small area. I had 2 traps out 2 nights. First night caught 2 little ones. Second night caught these 2 monsters. Then I pulled. He didn't want me trapping other stuff and beavers are too much work to go after the last one with no incentive. I don't think he realized I was the one doing him the favor. He probably had about a dozen chewing up his woods. IMO, you will educate them if you go after them without the proper expertise.

#3096888 - 12/26/12 09:24 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
CATCHDAWG
10 Point

Loc: Bradley co. TN

Nice catch!

#3097106 - 12/27/12 06:43 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

pass-thru,
That's awesome, I look forward to your posts. What size traps/setups you using to catch your 'yotes and foxes? I'm getting ready to put out some sets for 'yotes/cats/foxes but I always wait until deer season is over to keep from pushing deer off of my property during the season. I'm really looking forward to it though. I may actually jump the gun and set some this weekend!

#3097347 - 12/27/12 09:56 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

That is awesome man.

Question, what is laying in front of the coyotes on the floor?
Looks like another animal of some kind but I can't make it out.

#3097982 - 12/27/12 06:10 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
pass-thru
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
pass-thru,
That's awesome, I look forward to your posts. What size traps/setups you using to catch your 'yotes and foxes? I'm getting ready to put out some sets for 'yotes/cats/foxes but I always wait until deer season is over to keep from pushing deer off of my property during the season. I'm really looking forward to it though. I may actually jump the gun and set some this weekend!

I don't trap in TN and don't have the rubber jaw requirement. I use MB traps 450, 650 and mostly 550. I like 550's because they are fast, easy to bed, easy on fox and non-targets. You can get them in rubber jaw, I recommend 2 springs, and caught the 4-coil pins off. Another good trap is the jake trap.

#3097985 - 12/27/12 06:11 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
pass-thru
10 Point

Originally Posted By: RUGER
That is awesome man.

Question, what is laying in front of the coyotes on the floor?
Looks like another animal of some kind but I can't make it out.

That's a possum. A little on the small side.

#3098229 - 12/27/12 08:17 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Ok that is kinda what I thought but couldn't tell.
Thanks.

#3098303 - 12/27/12 08:44 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
Thanks for the post and the pictures. Awesome job!

#3098638 - 12/28/12 07:20 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
pass-thru,

I don't trap in TN and don't have the rubber jaw requirement. I use MB traps 450, 650 and mostly 550. I like 550's because they are fast, easy to bed, easy on fox and non-targets. You can get them in rubber jaw, I recommend 2 springs, and caught the 4-coil pins off. Another good trap is the jake trap.

I don't believe we have the rubber jaw requirement either...I sure hope not as i just bought (3) sleepy creek 1-3/4's. Ha ha. I'm easing my way into this and have mostly focused on coons. I'm having to self educate myself, asking questions, watching youtube videos, etc. I was wondering are you using dirt hole sets or flat sets? Ever fool with snares? Man, I really hope TN doesn't have a rubber jaw requirement, I read "the book" and I don't remember that standing out to me.

#3098669 - 12/28/12 08:02 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
pass-thru
10 Point

I would ask the question in the TWRA section for clarification. I have always heard TN trappers refer to the rubber jaw requirement. Check out TCA 70-4-120. The regs are not very clear to me.
#3098833 - 12/28/12 10:14 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
DOC1187
16 Point

Loc: east tn

#3099013 - 12/28/12 12:54 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
BlountArrow
8 Point

I would ask the question in the TWRA section for clarification. I have always heard TN trappers refer to the rubber jaw requirement. Check out TCA 70-4-120. The regs are not very clear to me.

I've read the TCA and re-read the hunting guide and I think I'm good with using steel jaws. The main thing I see, and have noticed before, is the restriction on trap size and I assume that is geared to keep folks from trapping bears and seriously injuring humans who might step in a trap.

#3099360 - 12/28/12 06:15 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
TnBob
4 Point

Loc: Tenneessee

Got any pics of the fox and yotes after skining? I do a little predator calling every year after deer season and have no idea how to get pelts ready to sell.
#3099385 - 12/28/12 06:35 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
Buck Nekkid
Non-Typical

Loc: Jefferson County,Tn

One half of "Man Purdy"

#3099402 - 12/28/12 06:47 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: TnBob]
pass-thru
10 Point

Originally Posted By: TnBob
Got any pics of the fox and yotes after skining? I do a little predator calling every year after deer season and have no idea how to get pelts ready to sell.

Here's some pics of fur drying last year. There is a whole process, if you do an internet search you can find some good references. To do fox and yote, you can get by with an initial investment of under $100.

#3099444 - 12/28/12 07:19 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
TnBob
4 Point

Loc: Tenneessee

Thanks. Why do you do the coons flesh side out and the others flesh side in? Do you ever catch bobcats?
#3099651 - 12/28/12 09:38 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
Umpire
12 Point

Loc: Smyrna, TN

Nice
#3099682 - 12/28/12 09:50 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
scn
14 Point

content Online

I've read the TCA and re-read the hunting guide and I think I'm good with using steel jaws. The main thing I see, and have noticed before, is the restriction on trap size and I assume that is geared to keep folks from trapping bears and seriously injuring humans who might step in a trap.

Steel jaw traps can only be used in water sets and at least 12" back inside the entrance to a burrow or hole. Any open ground sets require a cushion hold trap. Pgs 16 & 17 of the Hunting Guide.

The actual regulations are found in the Manner and Means Proclamation.

Edited by scn (12/28/12 09:51 PM)

#3099714 - 12/28/12 10:14 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
pass-thru
10 Point

SCN, thanks for the clarification. Hope that fellow reads it before he gets in trouble. Good idea to link up with your local associationa and make sure you're straight on everything.

Bob, each fur has specifications for how to put up. I cathc a bobcat occasionally, got one a few weeks ago.

Here's the same location from the triple the other day, catch from this morning. I had to go around yesterday an redo all my sets after 3" of rain. Glad I did. The yote is in the same set as the yote from the triple. The catch circle from the grey is the little brown spot across the road on the top left of the drainage, the red was in catch circle on the top right of the drainage across the road. One of the best locations I've ever had....3 yotes and 3 fox the past few days.

For this area, this is a very good yote.

Can hardly tell she spent the night in a 550.

#3099719 - 12/28/12 10:21 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: pass-thru]
pass-thru
10 Point

And to be clear, that's not a public road....it's a limited access military installation that just about nobody but me and the gate guards have permission to access, otherwise I wouldn't have a set on the road like that.

#3099927 - 12/29/12 08:44 AM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Originally Posted By: scn

Steel jaw traps can only be used in water sets and at least 12" back inside the entrance to a burrow or hole. Any open ground sets require a cushion hold trap. Pgs 16 & 17 of the Hunting Guide.

Thanks for the clarification SCN, and what I'm about to say is no way a reflection on you. Looks like I fail to find all the bits and pieces scattered throughout the hunting guide yet again. For the record, the section in the guide labeled, "Legal Trapping Devices and Definitions" (bottom pg 14 to top of pg 15) does NOT mention such a restriction. Seems to me like that might have been a good spot to put this info. However, if you keep reading past the sections titled legal hunting hours???, migratory bird regulations???, miscellaneous???, and many more that have NOTHING to do with trapping, onto the next page (pg 16 as stated), then you will find that nice little nugget of information that SCN speaks of. Well, looks like I will buy some more traps if I intend on trapping any on public land. To be honest, I hadn't thought of trying anything other than trapping in this manner on my land, but this really does piss me off. I think from now on the only thing to do with these guides and regs is to read the book cover to cover multiple times since you never know when there might be a paragraph about trapping past the section concerning legal hunting devices for big game. Then get a second and third opinion before I do anything to make sure its legal.
Rant over. Thanks for the posts pass-thru and scn.

#3100164 - 12/29/12 01:50 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
scn
14 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: scn

Thanks for the clarification SCN, and what I'm about to say is no way a reflection on you. Looks like I fail to find all the bits and pieces scattered throughout the hunting guide yet again. For the record, the section in the guide labeled, "Legal Trapping Devices and Definitions" (bottom pg 14 to top of pg 15) does NOT mention such a restriction. Seems to me like that might have been a good spot to put this info. However, if you keep reading past the sections titled legal hunting hours???, migratory bird regulations???, miscellaneous???, and many more that have NOTHING to do with trapping, onto the next page (pg 16 as stated), then you will find that nice little nugget of information that SCN speaks of. Well, looks like I will buy some more traps if I intend on trapping any on public land. To be honest, I hadn't thought of trying anything other than trapping in this manner on my land, but this really does piss me off. I think from now on the only thing to do with these guides and regs is to read the book cover to cover multiple times since you never know when there might be a paragraph about trapping past the section concerning legal hunting devices for big game. Then get a second and third opinion before I do anything to make sure its legal.
Rant over. Thanks for the posts pass-thru and scn.

Point taken. I'll see if we can consolidate all of the trapping info in one section of the HG next year.

But, it is at least partially covered on page 14 when it says: "Steel traps may only be used in accordance with TCA 70-4-120." The restrictions on top of the ground sets with regular steel jaw traps are pretty clear in the statute.

I realize folks think that every regulation should be clearly spelled out in the Hunting Guide. However, to address everything that is in statute, rule and regulation, or proclamation would require a document of hundreds of pages. It would be totally cost prohibitive to print to distribute free to the public. That is why it is printed in bold on page 4 that: "This publication is not a legal document."

And, before I forget, your comment on trapping on public land stuck out to me. Just to be clear, the prohibition of top of the ground sets with regular steel jaw traps applies to private lands (including your land) as well as public.

We'll see if we can do a better job of consolidating next year. Thanks!

Edited by scn (12/29/12 01:56 PM)

#3100184 - 12/29/12 02:25 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
BlountArrow
8 Point

SCN, I appreciate your reply. I re-googled the TCA mentioned and the first link that comes up for me is a PDF file, 3 pages long and doesn't mention what we've been discussing. However, I kept looking and looked at a different link just below the original(law.justia.com) and it does mention the requirement. Again, it just seems some information is buried when it should be readily available in the guide. I wonder if I can retro-fit the traps I just bought with rubber jaws or inserts - ha ha. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks again.

#3100207 - 12/29/12 02:53 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: BlountArrow]
scn
14 Point

content Online
The best place to access all of this information is off of the TWRA website. On the home page, if you will look at the bottom of the left hand column, you will see a link to rules and regulations.

When you click on that link, it brings up the options of the TCA, Rules and Regulations, and Proclamations.

Under TCA, all of the Wildlife statutes are in Title 70. Boating statutes are in Title 69.

The Manner and Means Proclamation (12-05, I think) covers the specifics on the types of traps that are legal.

As I said, we'll see what we can do to have a better section on trapping in the next HG. If we can't consolidate it easily, I'll try to make sure we add a sentence a least referring to additional information in the other section.

#3100272 - 12/29/12 03:39 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: scn]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

Looks like a great time. Congrats!

#3100394 - 12/29/12 05:49 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
northeasthunter
8 Point

Loc: brentwood

very cool
#3100447 - 12/29/12 06:40 PM Re: Good day on the k-9 line. [Re: RUGER]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Thats awesome pass thru. Trapping is something I have always wanted to do. But have to many excuses. Congrats on the catch! Keep us posted.

#3123306 - 01/14/13 12:32 PM pass-thru your pm box is full... [Re: scn]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Need a little advice...thanks!

#3123626 - 01/14/13 04:24 PM Re: pass-thru your pm box is full... [Re: BlountArrow]
pass-thru
10 Point

cleared a few out...must of been filled for a year, had no idea...lol
#3127565 - 01/16/13 09:24 PM Re: pass-thru your pm box is full... [Re: pass-thru]
KillMode
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Y'all tried yote in a crockpot?? So tender..........
#3145890 - 01/30/13 04:07 PM Re: pass-thru your pm box is full... [Re: KillMode]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Those are some great pictures pass-thru.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, RUGER, Taylor, TeamTndeer, Tennessee Todd, CBU93, gtk, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (Quailman, letsgohunting, bluball, dr, Backstrapcrazy, bowhunterfanatic, 10 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85405 Topics
1031960 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.246 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.