Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3094164 - 12/24/12 05:59 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have been using a steadyrest for years. Have one on every rifle. Works standing or sitting and can still use use a rest.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3094214 - 12/24/12 06:35 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Just curious how many hunt from the ground? And if you do, do you use a blind? Other than my permanent shooting house, I hunt exclusively from the ground now using a folding turkey hunters stool. I like the freedom it gives me to change locations whenever I want to.

Same here when i need to change locations i just get up and walk to my other hunting spot. i use to have a ground blind and i got tired of having to take it down and put it back up and i gave it to a other hunter.

#3094292 - 12/24/12 07:58 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: redblood]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: redblood
 Originally Posted By: knightrider
i hunt on the ground 100% of the time. i LOVE bowhunting from the ground with a compound and have gotten good at learning which trails to hunt with the morning and evening thermal rises and falls. nothing like killing them at 10 yards eye to eye with a bow

just curious. why do you not hunt from a treestand. i hate ground hunting. the higher the better imo

%100 agree and very rarely hunt from the ground unless im still hunting, %90 of my deer are taken from 20ft up..... when your on the ground its to easy to lose faith in your spot ( the grass is always greener effect ) to many times you hear stories of " soon as i moved i jumped a monster buck, if i would have only stayed in my spot "

Edited by in the dog house! (12/24/12 08:01 PM)

Μολων λαβε

#3094996 - 12/25/12 01:27 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: in the dog house!]
recurve60#
4 Point

Loc: Rock Island

Gave my climbers away. I do have a ladder stand here and there, but mostly on the ground.

Have seen maybe thirty deer the last week and one coyote. Three bucks this morning, but were young peckerheads.

#3095003 - 12/25/12 01:32 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: volsgo1]
primos32
6 Point

Loc: Savannah, TN

I hunt alot from the ground during gun season. Mostly from a climber during bow. I do feel like I see more deer from a stand however.
#3095048 - 12/25/12 02:27 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: primos32]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

The main reason I mostly hunt from stands is that I am constantly wanting to move. Stands keep in one place longer.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3095332 - 12/25/12 07:47 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: bowriter]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

Originally Posted By: bowriter
The main reason I mostly hunt from stands is that I am constantly wanting to move. Stands keep in one place longer.

I think that is most people's problem when hunting from the ground. I usually sit in one spot for most of the day but it will sometimes take me several hours to get to that spot. My main concern is am I hunting the wind right. I have to constantly remind myself that I do not have to be in any given spot at any given time and that I am just hunting to that spot, so take my time.

The advantages to me for ground hunting out weigh the advantages of being in a tree.
I gather more information on what the deer are doing by hunting my way in than I ever would walking in the dark. I enjoy it more since I don't feel like I have to be at a particular spot at a certain time. It seems like we are always on schedules and must meet demands at a particular time. I like to take that out of hunting as much as possible. Usually by the time I reach where I want to hunt the early morning winds have settled into a holding pattern and I can enjoy things much better when I am set up. I will not sit in a stand or in a spot with the wrong wind direction; it drives me bonkers and will force me to move. I don't care how high you get or how much scent control you use if a mature deer is down wind of you he is going to smell you period. Without my stand I have less to worry about for getting the wind right for that area.

I have learned that I must have my head up when I myself move or I'm going to bump more deer than I see. My dad taught me at a young age to stop every three to four steps; look at the ground while I'm paused and get a good mental picture of where my feet need to go. Then when I move again my head is up and scanning. I wear the same amount of clothing you would if your sitting on stand, if you get too hot your moving too fast. And I always wear a low brimmed boonie hat with a facemask at all times.

Of course there are plenty of situations that I have no choice to go in early and set up. But there is nothing I love more than a cold soggy wet morning to hunt.

Bowriter where did you get that rest? and do you place it on your hip when standing?

#3095373 - 12/25/12 08:06 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: in the dog house!]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
 Originally Posted By: redblood
 Originally Posted By: knightrider
i hunt on the ground 100% of the time. i LOVE bowhunting from the ground with a compound and have gotten good at learning which trails to hunt with the morning and evening thermal rises and falls. nothing like killing them at 10 yards eye to eye with a bow

just curious. why do you not hunt from a treestand. i hate ground hunting. the higher the better imo

%100 agree and very rarely hunt from the ground unless im still hunting, %90 of my deer are taken from 20ft up..... when your on the ground its to easy to lose faith in your spot ( the grass is always greener effect ) to many times you hear stories of " soon as i moved i jumped a monster buck, if i would have only stayed in my spot "

Scared of heights. \:\) Seriously. I don't mind it in my homemade ladder stand because it's so sturdy that it doesn't flex at all unlike the flimsy manufactured stands. But it weighs everybit of 200lbs and is a wee but hard to move. Even for the light weight store bought ladders, they are too much trouble to put up. That alone will make you tend to overhunt a spot because it;s easier than moving the stand. And theres not always a suitable tree right where I want it. Another thing I don't like is that the very act of leaving a ladder stand up is that you are telling another hunter where a good spot is. They may hunt out of your stand or worse steal it.

Yeah, I know being up high has a lot of it's own advantages. I've just gotten to the point that I prefer the ground and trying to use brush or briars for cover.

#3095387 - 12/25/12 08:15 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Regarding the Steady Rest, that is a nice rest but mine is way cheaper and easier to obtain. I just find a stick about 3 to 3.5 feet long when I sit down. I curl 3 fingersof my left hand around the stickand let the rifle forend sit cradled between my forefinger and thumb. It gives great verticle stability and you don't have to carry it in or out of the woods. I lean it against the tree when I leave and the next time I hunt there I have my shooting stick ready. By the end of the season, the woods have a bunch of trees with straight sticks against them.
#3095507 - 12/25/12 09:34 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

I hunt from a climber, so i can be in a different tree every hunt if i want. And i hunt in my climber facing the tree, I never turn around in it (feel much safer with my weight always biting into the tree ) so the tree is always between me and where the deer come from plus it makes a nice rest for my gun.

Μολων λαβε

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (Mike Belt, DaveB, FlintvilleMonster, EastTNHunter, 51 pointer, 308 warbird, 11 invisible) and 112 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93226 Topics
1088621 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.205 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.