Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3094866 - 12/25/12 11:12 AM Summer food plot question
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I am going to plant some summer/warm weather food plots this year. I have five plots that range in 1/2 acre to 2 acres. They are in Carroll Co. along ridge tops. Sandy well drained soil. Would a combination of buckwheat and clover be feasible? Probably will hold off on the larger plots for fall planting of wheat, oats and clover mix. Any advise will be appreciated.

#3094882 - 12/25/12 11:27 AM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: TLRanger]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Hmmmm,buckwheat would shade out the clover,I would think.Maybe not.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3096057 - 12/26/12 11:46 AM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: Football Hunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Have you had cultivated food plots in these spots before this year?

Soil ph? Liming?

If not, I'd start with crimson clover mixed with a little common white.

If you're putting more into this (lime, fertilizer, more soil prep), would go with some type of peas, too.

However, would bet your deer in that area have an abundance of quality food during the spring & summer (nearby soybean fields, etc.). You may get more return for your time, effort, and expense by concentrating on fall plots.

#3096264 - 12/26/12 02:38 PM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: Wes Parrish]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

I'm going to try to plant some whitetail institute powerplant for a summer plot this year. I've heard good things about it, although I'm sure its over-priced a little.

#3096321 - 12/26/12 03:31 PM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: Wes Parrish]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Have you had cultivated food plots in these spots before this year?

These are established food plots, been there for years. Just thought I would put something out this spring for the heck of it and redo them all this fall. Going to do the smaller ones only. I put the usual things out in the fall - wheat, oats, peas, clover, etc - and replant them when needed.

#3115857 - 01/09/13 08:55 AM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: BigAl]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

Originally Posted By: BigAl
I'm going to try to plant some whitetail institute powerplant for a summer plot this year. I've heard good things about it, although I'm sure its over-priced a little.

I've always been a big fan/supporter of W.I. products, but after planting about 3 acres of powerplant this past spring I would stay away from it in particular. Unless you want a ton of thistle and other weeds - there are NO herbacides that you can use on the plot, due to the different types of plants included in the blend.

Save yourself some money and headache and stay away from powerplant! Their other products that I have used I stand behind, but never again will I waste money on the powerplant blend.

#3118310 - 01/10/13 07:33 PM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: tn droptine]
tnbowhunter3
4 Point

Loc: jackson,tn

plant ur bigger areas as warm/summer plots and then ur smaller/kill plot use as cold/winter plots. Big plots r for feeding smaller ones for hunting..
#3136294 - 01/23/13 04:34 PM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: tnbowhunter3]
Phydeaux
4 Point

Loc: Hickman Co. TN

I tried WTI Powerplant for the first time last year and it grew well over my head. Cut it down to about a foot high just before hunting (so we could see through it) and have never seen so many turkeys on my land. Deer utilization was up as well.

#3159123 - 02/10/13 08:10 PM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: Phydeaux]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

That's one thing about food plots, seems like what works for one person or area doesn't work in another.

#3160032 - 02/11/13 05:37 PM Re: Summer food plot question [Re: tn droptine]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: tn droptine
 Originally Posted By: BigAl

I've always been a big fan/supporter of W.I. products, but after planting about 3 acres of powerplant this past spring I would stay away from it in particular. Unless you want a ton of thistle and other weeds - there are NO herbacides that you can use on the plot, due to the different types of plants included in the blend.

Save yourself some money and headache and stay away from powerplant! Their other products that I have used I stand behind, but never again will I waste money on the powerplant blend.

If you want to try Power Plant but not spend the money, this Pennington seed mix is the same thing.

http://www.penningtonusa.com/pc-_16-pd-_82

I've read a lot of Whitetail Institute literature and have never seen where they claim to have developed any plant varieties in the Power Plant mix. And while they do have a good product, they don't fail to toot their own horn if they can. \:\) I've planted both Power Plant and the Pennington Spring/Summer deer mix side by side and couldn't tell the difference and neither could the deer apparently as they ate tons out of both. The cost is not much more than half the WI price.

Yes, the lack of any herbicide to control weeds in PP is one issue but that's the case with many mixes where any broadleef weed killer will wipe out half your food plot. On a positive note, since PP has the vine beans and peas, they tend to climb and smother out weeds to a large degree. Still, I do have this problem and especially with Pigweeds. I'm going to fight it this year by planting my usual PP plots with RR corn and beans that I'm getting from tickweed through this website. I hope that keeping it weed free a year will make a difference next year. PRobably over optimistic though since many weed seeds can lay dormant for years and years then sprout and grow. \:\(

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (Ed B, Snake, Poser, JayMc, TAFKAP, fourwheeler431, 16 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
92999 Topics
1086745 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.