Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3093344 - 12/24/12 07:11 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: mike243]
yamaha200
4 Point

Loc: seymour

Originally Posted By: mike243
If deer hunting is all you do I dont consider that person a sportsman,just a deer hunter.I hunt small game when its in season & allways look forward to the end of big game season.I hunt small game very little during deer season so as to not mess up deer hunters.If you cant get a deer in the time that we have now another month probaly aint going to help much.& also why is it that when asking for longer seasons bows are put into it & not guns? .
I don't agree with your interpatation of a sportsman. All I really do is Deer hunt, and fish. I hunt Archery, Muzzleloader, and Rifle. I love fishing, exspecially Bass, and I crappie, Sauger, Walleye, Stripe, among others. I consider myself an Outdoorsman, and A sportsman.

#3093353 - 12/24/12 07:20 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Football Hunter]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Why don't we just make deer season year round

#3093378 - 12/24/12 07:41 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Personally I would hate to see does carrying fawns shot.I know I've read about it happening in Early Jan on TnDeer.

The vast majority of does killed in Middle TN after mid November are "carrying fawns" (pregnant). Doesn't matter when you kill a doe, she won't produce fawns. Kill her before she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Kill her after she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Same result no matter when she is killed.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3093397 - 12/24/12 07:54 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

The only way it would work is if the gun season was shortened, a lot. If it were only a week or two long gun season the practicality of having a late bow season would be justified.

#3093405 - 12/24/12 07:58 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Unless there is an over population issue, in areas where gun hunting is dangerous, I see no reason to create a extended archery season.

I've pointed it out in other threads, Wisconsin does have a few counties that have an extra month like this. The bad part is the reason they have an over population issue, is the reason this hunt fails to actually accomplish what it's supposed to do. People have bought deer habitat or maybe even made it better, then stopped the main predator from culling the herd.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3093410 - 12/24/12 08:00 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Football Hunter]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

leave the seasons alone
#3093454 - 12/24/12 08:36 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bucks & Beards]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Bucks & Beards
I was reading the outdoors section in today's paper and was reminded that in Arkansas one can hunt with a bow until the end of February.
Has TWRA ever considered allowing this in Tennessee, especially in "L" counties?
If they have considered it but do not allow it, why not?
Wouldn't that be great...only four weeks between the close of deer season and the opening of spring turkey season.

Thanks for the responses and opinions, but is anyone able to answer my two questions? Just curious that in two neighboring states one allows it and the other doesn't. Is this based on science, politics, public opinion, etc.? I will certainly live within the laws of the state in which I reside. I simply wanted information on what has influenced decisions in this regard. No, I am not advocating a "year round season" and yes, I consider myself a sportsman. In fact, I am not necessarily supporting extending the archery season, just wanting to know the reasons behind Arkansas' decision to allow it and Tennessee's to end all hunting in early January.

#3093461 - 12/24/12 08:44 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I would bet there would be a very very few portion of the hunters that would take advantage of it even if it was passed.Take yesterday. I hunt on a bow only WMA. while the weather was not perfect temps were mild and a light drizzle. Not all that bad for late December. I think Me and my buddy were the only bow hunters in the entire park.
Don't think it would effect much of anything but give a very few hunters (including me) a little bit longer to hunt.

#3093799 - 12/24/12 12:45 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Personally I would hate to see does carrying fawns shot.I know I've read about it happening in Early Jan on TnDeer.

The vast majority of does killed in Middle TN after mid November are "carrying fawns" (pregnant). Doesn't matter when you kill a doe, she won't produce fawns. Kill her before she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Kill her after she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Same result no matter when she is killed.

I understand that from your other posts BSK. I really meant I hate to SEE it. Something about actually seeing a very well devolped fawn That makes it seem/feel worse. I know it is not scientific and makes no difference.I'm fine with it ending in early Jan. Some Archery guys seem to think they need more hunting time than everyone else. I think TWRA is doing a good job.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3093842 - 12/24/12 01:09 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: mike243]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: mike243
If deer hunting is all you do I dont consider that person a sportsman,just a deer hunter.I hunt small game when its in season & allways look forward to the end of big game season.I hunt small game very little during deer season so as to not mess up deer hunters.If you cant get a deer in the time that we have now another month probaly aint going to help much.& also why is it that when asking for longer seasons bows are put into it & not guns? .

I don't think you meant that as bad as it reads ??? To me a "Sportsman" is more in the way you hunt. If you follow the rules That TWRA sets forth for fair chase ethicial hunting I would consider you a "Sportsman " as in sportsman like conduct.The ones going out and making thier own rules to take game I do not consider "Sportsman " as in unsportsman like conduct.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
19 registered (TN RDG RNR, 8up, fourwheeler431, backwoods7, Actionfishing, drrxnupe, 1 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88992 Topics
1041067 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.254 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.