Tndeer Logo

Page all of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3092732 - 12/23/12 05:17 PM Extending Archery Season In Tennessee
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I was reading the outdoors section in today's paper and was reminded that in Arkansas one can hunt with a bow until the end of February.
Has TWRA ever considered allowing this in Tennessee, especially in "L" counties?
If they have considered it but do not allow it, why not?
Wouldn't that be great...only four weeks between the close of deer season and the opening of spring turkey season.

#3092740 - 12/23/12 05:19 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bucks & Beards]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

not really for it or against it,good fishing time

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3092743 - 12/23/12 05:19 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bucks & Beards]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

here-here!

And BSK would surely support this! LOL stir-stir
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3092748 - 12/23/12 05:22 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: 102]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I'd say some antlerless bucks would be mistaken for does.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3092751 - 12/23/12 05:24 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: cecil30-30]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30

x2 there are reasons why the season ends when it does.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3092759 - 12/23/12 05:34 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Master Chief]
donedeer
Spike

Loc: smith county

if they extended it,I love to see it open four weeks earlier to gwt more chance at some nice velvet bucks,just my thoughts thow,anyways look forward to spring turkey also
#3092773 - 12/23/12 05:46 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: cecil30-30]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

yep. plus jan and february belongs to small game hunters. 4 months of deer hunting should be enough for anybody

#3092775 - 12/23/12 05:48 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: redblood]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: redblood

yep. plus jan and february belongs to small game hunters. 4 months of deer hunting should be enough for anybody
Why cant they make it buck only???

#3092798 - 12/23/12 05:59 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: 102
here-here!

And BSK would surely support this! LOL stir-stir

You know me too well 102!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3092850 - 12/23/12 06:39 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Why would you suggest a deer season going through to February?

Obviously we need a year-round archery only season and crossbows would be illegal because they are actually just crosses and not a real bow.

...since last deer season

#3092853 - 12/23/12 06:42 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
Happy Birthday ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Lol more deer hunting? If you need more time your not hunting hard enough. Lol I'm wore out by the end of season now i couldn't imagine more season

#3092859 - 12/23/12 06:49 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: ImThere]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: ImThere
Lol more deer hunting? If you need more time your not hunting hard enough. Lol I'm wore out by the end of season now i couldn't imagine more season

Same here, I'm by no means tired of being in the woods but man does gettin up early almost every day for over three monthes get exhausing!

It has me ready for post season cameras and antler hunting!

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3092893 - 12/23/12 07:38 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Master Chief]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

just leave it open year around!!! good grief do we really need to kill them all?

#3092912 - 12/23/12 07:51 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: catman529]
BigWes22
4 Point

Loc: Chattown

I would like to see tn bow season open 1st of September, love the chance at a velvet buck!
#3093196 - 12/23/12 10:31 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Master Chief]
NOPRO
Spike

Loc: tennesse,walling

Originally Posted By: Master Chief

x2 there are reasons why the season ends when it does.
x3

#3093201 - 12/23/12 10:38 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: NOPRO]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I can hunt in MS, just 25 minutes South of where I live, until the end of January -a full month longer than TN. I hunted until the end back in 2009 and I did not see one single deer move in the month of January. The only deer I saw were ones that I bumped. The deer were locked down tight well before first light and stayed that way all day regardless of how cold it was and Jan 2010, if you recall, was bitter cold.

Jan is for rabbits, squirrels and ducks.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3093212 - 12/23/12 10:52 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Poser]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Personally I would hate to see does carrying fawns shot.I know I've read about it happening in Early Jan on TnDeer.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3093221 - 12/23/12 11:02 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
I can hunt in MS, just 25 minutes South of where I live, until the end of January -a full month longer than TN. I hunted until the end back in 2009 and I did not see one single deer move in the month of January. The only deer I saw were ones that I bumped. The deer were locked down tight well before first light and stayed that way all day regardless of how cold it was and Jan 2010, if you recall, was bitter cold.

Jan is for rabbits, squirrels and ducks.

absolutely. deer need a break just like hunters, plus tons of other species to hunt. some sportsman are one trick ponies

#3093278 - 12/24/12 05:19 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: redblood]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

If deer hunting is all you do I dont consider that person a sportsman,just a deer hunter.I hunt small game when its in season & allways look forward to the end of big game season.I hunt small game very little during deer season so as to not mess up deer hunters.If you cant get a deer in the time that we have now another month probaly aint going to help much.& also why is it that when asking for longer seasons bows are put into it & not guns? .

#3093316 - 12/24/12 06:21 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: cecil30-30]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

good point

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3093344 - 12/24/12 07:11 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: mike243]
yamaha200
4 Point

Loc: seymour

Originally Posted By: mike243
If deer hunting is all you do I dont consider that person a sportsman,just a deer hunter.I hunt small game when its in season & allways look forward to the end of big game season.I hunt small game very little during deer season so as to not mess up deer hunters.If you cant get a deer in the time that we have now another month probaly aint going to help much.& also why is it that when asking for longer seasons bows are put into it & not guns? .
I don't agree with your interpatation of a sportsman. All I really do is Deer hunt, and fish. I hunt Archery, Muzzleloader, and Rifle. I love fishing, exspecially Bass, and I crappie, Sauger, Walleye, Stripe, among others. I consider myself an Outdoorsman, and A sportsman.

#3093353 - 12/24/12 07:20 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Football Hunter]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Why don't we just make deer season year round

#3093378 - 12/24/12 07:41 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Personally I would hate to see does carrying fawns shot.I know I've read about it happening in Early Jan on TnDeer.

The vast majority of does killed in Middle TN after mid November are "carrying fawns" (pregnant). Doesn't matter when you kill a doe, she won't produce fawns. Kill her before she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Kill her after she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Same result no matter when she is killed.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3093397 - 12/24/12 07:54 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

The only way it would work is if the gun season was shortened, a lot. If it were only a week or two long gun season the practicality of having a late bow season would be justified.

#3093405 - 12/24/12 07:58 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Unless there is an over population issue, in areas where gun hunting is dangerous, I see no reason to create a extended archery season.

I've pointed it out in other threads, Wisconsin does have a few counties that have an extra month like this. The bad part is the reason they have an over population issue, is the reason this hunt fails to actually accomplish what it's supposed to do. People have bought deer habitat or maybe even made it better, then stopped the main predator from culling the herd.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3093410 - 12/24/12 08:00 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Football Hunter]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

leave the seasons alone
#3093454 - 12/24/12 08:36 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bucks & Beards]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Bucks & Beards
I was reading the outdoors section in today's paper and was reminded that in Arkansas one can hunt with a bow until the end of February.
Has TWRA ever considered allowing this in Tennessee, especially in "L" counties?
If they have considered it but do not allow it, why not?
Wouldn't that be great...only four weeks between the close of deer season and the opening of spring turkey season.

Thanks for the responses and opinions, but is anyone able to answer my two questions? Just curious that in two neighboring states one allows it and the other doesn't. Is this based on science, politics, public opinion, etc.? I will certainly live within the laws of the state in which I reside. I simply wanted information on what has influenced decisions in this regard. No, I am not advocating a "year round season" and yes, I consider myself a sportsman. In fact, I am not necessarily supporting extending the archery season, just wanting to know the reasons behind Arkansas' decision to allow it and Tennessee's to end all hunting in early January.

#3093461 - 12/24/12 08:44 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I would bet there would be a very very few portion of the hunters that would take advantage of it even if it was passed.Take yesterday. I hunt on a bow only WMA. while the weather was not perfect temps were mild and a light drizzle. Not all that bad for late December. I think Me and my buddy were the only bow hunters in the entire park.
Don't think it would effect much of anything but give a very few hunters (including me) a little bit longer to hunt.

#3093799 - 12/24/12 12:45 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BSK]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK

The vast majority of does killed in Middle TN after mid November are "carrying fawns" (pregnant). Doesn't matter when you kill a doe, she won't produce fawns. Kill her before she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Kill her after she is bred and she won't produce fawns. Same result no matter when she is killed.

I understand that from your other posts BSK. I really meant I hate to SEE it. Something about actually seeing a very well devolped fawn That makes it seem/feel worse. I know it is not scientific and makes no difference.I'm fine with it ending in early Jan. Some Archery guys seem to think they need more hunting time than everyone else. I think TWRA is doing a good job.

#3093842 - 12/24/12 01:09 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: mike243]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Originally Posted By: mike243

I don't think you meant that as bad as it reads ??? To me a "Sportsman" is more in the way you hunt. If you follow the rules That TWRA sets forth for fair chase ethicial hunting I would consider you a "Sportsman " as in sportsman like conduct.The ones going out and making thier own rules to take game I do not consider "Sportsman " as in unsportsman like conduct.

#3093902 - 12/24/12 01:58 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I would be happy if they would just leave season open until the end of Jan.

#3093942 - 12/24/12 02:31 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Rackseeker]
HerdThinner 2012
Spike

Loc: Lexington, TN

Nobody seems to want to answer the guy's questions! Reasons and influence? Not opinion.
#3093957 - 12/24/12 02:48 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: HerdThinner 2012]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

My wife might get a little upset knowing I had one more month to hunt.... \:D
#3093965 - 12/24/12 02:56 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: HerdThinner 2012]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Originally Posted By: HerdThinner 2012
Nobody seems to want to answer the guy's questions! Reasons and influence? Not opinion.
HerdThinner, Thank you very much! B&B

#3093981 - 12/24/12 03:07 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bucks & Beards]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Could be everyone from TWRA is off for Christmas. Besides that everything else would be an opinion.

#3094016 - 12/24/12 03:31 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WRbowhunter]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

No particular reason. It's just the way we've always done it and most hunters are satisfied with how we are managing our deer program (87% satisfied). With those numbers, unless there is a real good reason to make a change, we probably are going to stick with what works.

#3094064 - 12/24/12 04:15 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bucks & Beards]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Bucks & Beards
HerdThinner, Thank you very much! B&B

Unnecessary for management, and Not fair to other hunters.Why exclude other hunters if there was a need to extend the season ???

#3094070 - 12/24/12 04:22 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: gator-n-buck]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: gator-n-buck

mine drove me nutts....... " wish you would hurry up and buck out " \:\)

Μολων λαβε

#3094072 - 12/24/12 04:23 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Whats good for Arkansas is not nessacarily good for TN. Some Deer are still rutting toward the end of Jan. In the Ark.Is the change state wide or only certain zones ???
I thought this part of the forum was open for discussion ??
You might get a TWRA only answer from the TWRA forum.

Edited by WestTn Huntin'man (12/24/12 04:34 PM)

#3094083 - 12/24/12 04:38 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I believe VA in certain areas (i.e. Northern VA) has Bow season through April 1, but they do not have as much public land and that would make it hard here. People want to hunt small game and like others have said, they wait until deer season ends.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3094158 - 12/24/12 05:53 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Bone Collector]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I would just about bet, less than 2% of TN bowhunters would actually go enough to justify extending the season. There are several reasons not to extend it-legitimate reasons-and only one to extened it.

We have enough hunting days, our herd is healthy and stable, our bucks are good representatives of the area.

Let's not mess with it.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3094541 - 12/25/12 02:51 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: catman529]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

No not at all more deer shed during jan a whole lot more then people realize.

#3094756 - 12/25/12 09:41 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
BSK
Non-Typical

I really meant I hate to SEE it.

I totally get that WestTn Huntin'man.

#3094759 - 12/25/12 09:42 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: HerdThinner 2012]
BSK
Non-Typical

You will have to ask the TWRA guys. We as hunters can't answer questions only hunting ageny personnel an answer.

#3094772 - 12/25/12 09:49 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: bowriter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
There are several reasons not to extend it-legitimate reasons-and only one to extend it.

EXACTLY.

IMO, from an overall perspective, extending TN's deer season would do more harm than good.

#3095059 - 12/25/12 02:38 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Wes Parrish]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

I'm all for it in localized areas. I know that much of the state's rut is long gone but it's just getting good on our property. It happens every year around Christmas. And I don't buy the bucks that have already lost their antlers getting shot by accident. Come on, if you can't see those big holes on the top of their head then maybe some vision doctor visits are needed.

#3095164 - 12/25/12 05:44 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: ghosthunter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
I'm all for it in localized areas. I know that much of the state's rut is long gone but it's just getting good on our property. It happens every year around Christmas. And I don't buy the bucks that have already lost their antlers getting shot by accident. Come on, if you can't see those big holes on the top of their head then maybe some vision doctor visits are needed.

it happens already every year. i know of one instance already this year.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3095382 - 12/25/12 08:13 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: stik]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: ghosthunter

it happens already every year. i know of one instance already this year.

I'm sure it does with a rifle and not saying mistakes won't happen with archery equipment, but my feeling is that it is a lot less likely to occur with a bow for obvious reasons.

#3095400 - 12/25/12 08:21 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Rackseeker]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

Originally Posted By: Rackseeker
I would be happy if they would just leave season open until the end of Jan.

Agree!

#3095419 - 12/25/12 08:32 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: in the dog house!]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
 Originally Posted By: gator-n-buck

mine drove me nutts....... " wish you would hurry up and buck out " \:\)

It happens every deer season and I have to explain that my hobby only last about 4 months out of a year.... \:\)

You would think after 24 yrs. she would get it..... I never buck out because I'm a little picky when it comes to bucks. I will hammer does and it never bothers me how the next guy wants to hunt.

I'm all about hunters having fun and enjoying the sport.... \:\)

#3095693 - 12/26/12 06:35 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: gator-n-buck]
tnbowhunter3
4 Point

Loc: jackson,tn

Ok most seem not to be for a late season bowhunting. No prob, let's make it a extra tag option. If you want to hunt u buy the tag if have sportsman lic then you can hunt.Bucks can b taken if you have not killed three.This way you can hunt if you want and TWRA will make a lil extra...
#3095770 - 12/26/12 08:05 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: gator-n-buck]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

I must be the only one to think its ironic to see so many people worried about shooting a buck that has shed his horns, especially when the opinion on this site is to keep your opinion to yourself about what kind of buck a hunter shoots.
#3096256 - 12/26/12 02:34 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: jar]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

To answer the question or at least take a guess at it, I'd think it has more to do with tradition than anything. MS and AR have been that way for as long as I can remember. The season opening dates are mostly based on tradition also. The closing date has fluctuated a little.

#3096436 - 12/26/12 05:05 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BigGameGuy]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
No particular reason. It's just the way we've always done it and most hunters are satisfied with how we are managing our deer program (87% satisfied). With those numbers, unless there is a real good reason to make a change, we probably are going to stick with what works.
BGG, Thanks for the explanation. I guess in an ideal world one would hope that the science, pros/cons, public opinion, etc. would all be weighed and then decisions made on a matter like this, but I guess funding only allows TWRA to do so much. I used to live in Arkansas and from my observation the extended season did not harm the deer herd and it provided a little extra time in the woods for the die hards who are crazy about the sport. No gripes with the way Tennessee currently sets the seasons, I had just never heard it explained.

#3096523 - 12/26/12 06:09 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: jar]
redblood
16 Point

Originally Posted By: jar
I must be the only one to think its ironic to see so many people worried about shooting a buck that has shed his horns, especially when the opinion on this site is to keep your opinion to yourself about what kind of buck a hunter shoots.

typically a person who shoots a buck, knows what type of buck he is and makes a conscience decision to harvest him. most bucks shot that have already shed, are mistaken for does and not what the hunter desired to harvest. apples to oranges

#3096569 - 12/26/12 06:35 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: redblood]
jar
4 Point

I know there are more arguments to not extend deer season into late Jan. but after a 2 week ML and 6 weeks of gun I dont think a few weeks of archery hunting is going to hurt much.
#3097080 - 12/27/12 06:04 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Football Hunter]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

I doubt I'd even go. I also would be afraid of shooting bucks that had dropped their antlers.

#3097253 - 12/27/12 08:52 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: JeepKuntry]
HerdThinner 2012
Spike

Loc: Lexington, TN

Id go. But I would likely be a bachelor, unemployed, and broke. At least I know how to knap and could possibly barter.

Some part of that sounds pretty good.

#3097297 - 12/27/12 09:25 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: Football Hunter]
PcDeer
4 Point

Loc: Linden, Tn

I'm not in good enough physical condition to extend deer season! I'm drinking an extra cup of coffee every morning now to make it! Plus I can't live without January and February rabbit hunts and its also a pretty good time to go ahead and start fishing to.
#3097975 - 12/27/12 06:05 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: PcDeer]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

As it is now, I travel to southern Alabama and hunt during the rut in January. I would love to continue archery hunting in Tennesseee through the end of January. I usually fail to kill my target number of does and maybe this would help. I have no worries of shooting a buck that dropped his horns.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

#3098670 - 12/28/12 08:04 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: TNlandowner]
jar
4 Point

If we are going to be a state with liberal bag limits and length of season lets go all out and do it right. Let us bow hunt until the end of Jan.
#3098714 - 12/28/12 08:41 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: TNlandowner]
redblood
16 Point

small game season runs until feb 28, plenty of hunting opportunties left

#3098725 - 12/28/12 08:49 AM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: redblood]
jar
4 Point

Im not at all concerned with small game. I would bet more small bucks are killed the last 2 weeks of gun season because of guys "needing more meat" than bowhunters could take if we hunted until the end of Feb.
#3099221 - 12/28/12 04:03 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: JeepKuntry]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
I doubt I'd even go. I also would be afraid of shooting bucks that had dropped their antlers.
What if it was antlerd buck only????

#3099313 - 12/28/12 05:27 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: timberjack86]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: timberjack86
 Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
What if it was antlerd buck only????

Antlered Bucks, only on public lands and no hunter orange permitted. This way, the 7 people that actually would want this change, get shot by squirrel hunters during the first extended season \:D

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3099326 - 12/28/12 05:41 PM Re: Extending Archery Season In Tennessee [Re: BigAl]
JA1234
10 Point

Loc: just a hair or two north of th...

Originally Posted By: BigAl
To answer the question or at least take a guess at it, I'd think it has more to do with tradition than anything. MS and AR have been that way for as long as I can remember. The season opening dates are mostly based on tradition also. The closing date has fluctuated a little.

Up until around 1998 ms always closed on a Wednesday around the middle of the month in jan...then they added archery only till the end of jan...I never knew any member on the three clubs I was in ever hunting past close of gun...then at some point they went to archery or ml.... Now some counties way south are open until feb ends....and the ml season has been replaced with some stupid primitive weapons season so they can use single shots with hammers as long as its a .38 cal up I think...

But I hope tn just stays like it is. I'm to the point where I am personally about to stop hunting my land all of dec just because I have yet to have a good dec hunting or trail cam wise on it ... I know deer are still around but I be dang if they don't move much in dec on my place...I think it's the lay out and how I get to my stands. Iam gonna change some things up for the next three years and see what happens...but that's all in the fun of it right...

Edited by JA1234 (12/28/12 05:45 PM)

Page all of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (kilmbux49, 51 pointer, Grubbah, wtdhunter1, medic, bigrob, 17 invisible) and 86 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91590 Topics
1070557 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.096 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.