Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#3086070 - 12/18/12 09:13 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: jar]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

These guys sound really harsh, but many are older, and have lots of years of experience. No one really means to be harsh, your safety is the main concern.I hunted for thirty years, never had a safety vest, now wont go with out one. Good luck

#3086202 - 12/18/12 11:43 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: tickweed]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: tickweed
These guys sound really harsh, but many are older, and have lots of years of experience. No one really means to be harsh, your safety is the main concern.I hunted for thirty years, never had a safety vest, now wont go with out one. Good luck
I know its all good intentions and coming from experience. I am just a daredevil... but I do wear the harness when I'm up in that stand. And will retire it after deer season is over. It really is more solid than it looks... of course I wouldnt say that if it broke, but it doesn't even creak and I am sure it will be fine for the rest of the year. Haven't even had to tighten down a single nail either. The wooden rungs are solid too, and I have climbed much older, sketchier rungs in the past. But I won't hunt out of the stand anymore once this deer season is over.

#3089421 - 12/20/12 09:58 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: catman529]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

I hope when you say retire it you mean taking a crowbar to it and get it and the steps completely off the tree where some other 'daredevils" don't decide to mess with it after it weakens even further.

After todays wind blowing it and the tree around and stressing everything, I wouldn't even consider climbing back into it.

#3089525 - 12/21/12 12:35 AM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: scn]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: scn
I hope when you say retire it you mean taking a crowbar to it and get it and the steps completely off the tree where some other 'daredevils" don't decide to mess with it after it weakens even further.

After todays wind blowing it and the tree around and stressing everything, I wouldn't even consider climbing back into it.
I guess someone could try and climb to it without steps if they really wanted to, but I hadn't thought of that... doesn't seem likely. Guess I better be safe than sorry, and take the whole thing down after season. I was up in it a couple days ago and it was as solid as it was the day I built it. Maybe the wind did some work on it but I'm sure it would hold just fine for another year, even though I wont let it up that long. I still have to climb back up and take some stuff out of the storage box and remove the safety harness that I left strapped on.

#3091965 - 12/23/12 02:40 AM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: catman529]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: catman529
I must still be too young and bold to see why the stand is risky. I also only weigh 130 so it doesn't take much to support me. The stand feels pretty solid. Might not be a bad idea to strap a harness up there... Lol

JayP, did you have one break under you? Was it a flaw in construction, or was the wood rotten?

It is always a good idea to take a harness and using it while climbing up. 1 little slip and you could be having a very bad day. Good Luck
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3092420 - 12/23/12 01:15 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
greygoose
4 Point

Loc: shelby county

holy crap,i have built some like that years ago.if your young and dumb(just a saying,no offense)you will take chances like this.i once thought i was superman also,nothing would hurt me..just were a harness young blood and be careful.i notice this has been up for a couple of months ,so my question is:are you still alive or at least in one piece and working order?

Edited by greygoose (12/23/12 01:24 PM)

#3094039 - 12/24/12 03:50 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: greygoose]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: greygoose
holy crap,i have built some like that years ago.if your young and dumb(just a saying,no offense)you will take chances like this.i once thought i was superman also,nothing would hurt me..just were a harness young blood and be careful.i notice this has been up for a couple of months ,so my question is:are you still alive or at least in one piece and working order?
yep I'm in good working order and so is the stand, but it will be coming down after deer season. And yep I got the harness and its strapped to the tree.

#3094061 - 12/24/12 04:10 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: catman529]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Some of these guys are no fun at all!

I haven't seen your stand in person and haven't put weight on it, so I won't ASSume that it's unsafe.

I will say that as cheap as commercial climbers and stands are these days, it's hard to justify even the materials to build one yourself.

Good luck, and stay safe!

#3112997 - 01/07/13 05:22 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: -DRM-]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

i would have to see in person before i could comment on how safe it is. all i can say is that i have hunted out of built stands most of my life. all were really well built, my dad and i are both skilled carpenters and i have always felt safer in my well built stands than any climber on the market. a safty harness and the ability to realize when a stand is no longer safe is all that is needed.

any stand on the market could fail and caution needs to be taken with all of them. a couple of years ago a buddy of mine started to climb up a tree with a climbing stand he had bought new and it was only a few years old. he got about 6 feet off the ground when a bolt sheared off and sent him to the ground, good thing he was only a few feet off the ground.

#3115194 - 01/08/13 07:30 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
Zac
Button

Loc: NW Tenn.

I WOULDN'T HUNT OUT OF IT.
Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (leader, fredfred, Bass1090, Southern Sportsman, BAMA BOW MERKER, PinchPoint, 6 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85723 Topics
1035955 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.266 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.