Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3083085 - 12/17/12 08:22 AM Which food plot seeds?
GOTTA B REALTREE
6 Point

Loc: Estill Springs, TN

Gonna be planting a food plot or two on my Dad's new property in the spring. My question is.... What is the best food plot seed that grows good in Tennessee and known for producing bigger antler size? I am looking at planting two 1 acre plots. I like what I have read about Tecomate Alfa feast and monster mix. Any ideas?
#3083140 - 12/17/12 08:55 AM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: GOTTA B REALTREE]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I wouldn't expect 2 acres of anything to have much of an influence on the antler size of your local deer herd. If your plots are prepared before spring you might want to put some clover into them. Other than that look around the surrounding area and see what it is lacking and go from there.
#3083418 - 12/17/12 12:18 PM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: Bayou Buck]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck
I wouldn't expect 2 acres of anything to have much of an influence on the antler size of your local deer herd. If your plots are prepared before spring you might want to put some clover into them. Other than that look around the surrounding area and see what it is lacking and go from there.

x2 unless you have hundreds of acres at your disposal then I don't think you have the means to see an increase on antler size

#3083449 - 12/17/12 12:34 PM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: tn droptine]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Still, 2 acres will feed a lot of deer. If you have a very high deer density that is eating up 2 acres of food plots I'd go with Pennington Spring/Summer deer mix. If you can't find that the Whitetail Institute sells the same mix as "Alfa Rack" but it cost's about 40% more. This stuff produces a green jungle about 6 feet tall that deer will use more because they feel secure standing in it.

Be aware though that it is an annual and will die with the 1st frost.

#3083454 - 12/17/12 12:36 PM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

One of my plots of Spring/Summer deer mix this year had unbelievably heavy use this last Summer. It was a maze of deer trails but they were just barely starting to eat it down in a few spots. I can't imagine having enough deer to eat that stuff. I had 3 acres.
#3085257 - 12/18/12 01:20 PM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: tn droptine]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: tn droptine
 Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck

x2 unless you have hundreds of acres at your disposal then I don't think you have the means to see an increase on antler size
I agree,wont hurt,but dont expect bigger horns

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3087175 - 12/19/12 03:38 PM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: GOTTA B REALTREE]
GOTTA B REALTREE
6 Point

Doesn't make since to me why you all say don't expect bigger horns. If these deer get the right food, their horns will grow more and quicker. As of now, the field that is getting a makeover is a 2 year old corn field. These deer will go from getting no use out of the field to plenty of use. With the right ingredients and planting before these deer start growing their horns next spring, this should help with overall horn development. I know it may not make a huge change the first year. But, having a food plot year round with plenty of minerals and licks out in the woods, this should be a recipe for good success.
#3088048 - 12/20/12 07:07 AM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: GOTTA B REALTREE]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Because you are thinking on a small scale enviroment,just like I used to.What can I do to help the deer on my land?Deer dont know where your land begins and ends,and dont just stay on your land,plus bucks dont always stay in the summer where they will be in the hunting season.So,whatever you make avaiable to the deer may or may not be feeding any of the bucks that you might see during hunting season.Its called range shifting,you can dig up many topics from the past from this forum.

Also the other day while in a stand,I got to thinking of the vastness of the enviroment around me.I have 5 acres or so of food plots on my 68 acres,the lease I join that borders me is 700 acres of ridge a hollow hardwoods,plus from some winter time 4 wheeler riding,and getting lost the first year on the lease,there are thousands of acres of "empty" harwoods.So how much will 5 acres help that?

Some,but not enough to make huge improvements.I would never discourage you,and dont think others on here would either,just look at that total enviroment around you,Google Earth helps.

Here is an example,the other day I was hunting on the leaese,about as far as I could be from one of my plots,1000 yards would be a guess,watched a small 8 pt nibbling on buds,and leaves,wondering,"Why arent you eating in my food plots?"

They spend far more time eating native browse then you think they would,and making that available is probably more important than any food plot.You can look up how to do that on this site too,but mostly its about a chain saw,GOOD LUCK!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3088149 - 12/20/12 08:31 AM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: Football Hunter]
GOTTA B REALTREE
6 Point

Thanks for the input. Any advice on a food plot recipe? Sounds like just some clover to keep them somewhat interested is the best way to go?
#3088202 - 12/20/12 08:56 AM Re: Which food plot seeds? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Still, 2 acres will feed a lot of deer. If you have a very high deer density that is eating up 2 acres of food plots I'd go with Pennington Spring/Summer deer mix. If you can't find that the Whitetail Institute sells the same mix as "Alfa Rack" but it cost's about 40% more. This stuff produces a green jungle about 6 feet tall that deer will use more because they feel secure standing in it.

Be aware though that it is an annual and will die with the 1st frost.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong Whitetail Institute product here. I should have said that "Power Plant" is the same as Pennington Seeds "Spring/Summer Deer Mix". I highly recommend either if you want an annual planting. It is especially great for a location that may be lacking in cover as it is tall enough(6ft) to provide it's own cover.

I had 6 long strips of it last year in an overgrown 20 acre field and the deer loved that spot.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
66 registered (Recoil, TN Larry, in the dog house!, Daniel Willoughby, HilhamHawk, BHC, 9 invisible) and 105 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93220 Topics
1088552 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.