Surf Fishing
Flounder and Crab
Feral Hog
Sausage and Charcuterie
Deer and Turkey
Duck and Geese
Rabbit and Squirrel
The Spring Run

The author, Jesse Grittihs, is a Texas based chef (and his the recipes reflect this) who is interested in locally sourced ingredients and nose to tail eating. The book contains over 300 color photos, 175 of which are step by step instructions. I found the step by step butchering photos to be some of the better instructions that I have seen, especially in cookbooks. If you are still intimidated by the prospect of gutting and butchering a deer or hog, or breaking down a game bird, this book is pretty much as good as any other set of instructions you will find on the subject.

These days, I find myself skeptical of pretty much any new "wild game" cookbook. I have found that the best cookbooks for wild game are regular old cook books with adjustments and compensations made in the kitchen for game meats. This book is a happy marriage between the two as it is full of traditional meat recipes with minor adjustments for wild game. A cookbook grabs my attention when I flip through it and start getting ideas, yet I don't see a list of incredibly hard to find ingredients or 9 hours of prep time. These recipes are simple and use easy to find, whole ingredients.

As I have moved well past the days of being overly interested in venison dishes that involve using ground meat, I am always on the look out for whole cuts and this book delivers. The first recipe that I have bookmarked is Venison Neck Osso Buco.

Osso means "hole" and Buco means "bone". Literally, "meat on the bone with a hole in it." I have steadily become an increasing fan of venison on the bone and I will be trying this very soon sI presently have 5 whole necks in my freezer for purposes such as this.

4 cuts of venison neck, about 3-4 inches or substitue venison or wild boar shanks
(see, I am already interested because I can even substitue entirely different cuts of meat and one of them in my favorite, shanks)

1 cup flour
4 tbls Olive Oil
2 large onions
4 carrots
1 celery stalk
6 fresh sage leaves
2 bay leaves
1 cup white wine
1 quart venison stock, chicken stock or water
zest of 1 lemon
1/s cup fresh parsley
6 to 10 garlic cloves

As you can see, fairly simple ingredient list. There is also a recipe for Squirrel cooked over a campfire. Dig it.

Page 220 has the bulk of my attention as we are heading into the time of year where ducks start getting cooked on a regular basis. This page is dedicated to Confit, something that I have been interested in for awhile. This is a very ancient means of preservation where meat is cured in salt and then stored and/or cooked in fat. If you salt cure a goose leg, for example, you can store it in a jar of its on fat for quite some time. You can also cook the goose leg in that same fat. Even after you cook the meat, you can reuse the confit to add flavor to soup or stock for another dish. -very cool, very simple and very out of practice.

Good book.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3088166 - 12/20/12 08:42 AM Re: Cookbook review: Afield [Re: Poser]
Legnip
4 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN

It sounds very good. I would be cautious about the entire neck, only because it includes the spinal column and cord. The spinal cord and brains are on the do not eat list, in my opinion and from other safety guidelines.
#3088398 - 12/20/12 10:32 AM Re: Cookbook review: Afield [Re: Legnip]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

yes, cwd, scrapies, mad cow disease and other encephalopagies manifest themselves in spinal tissue of animals. i would steer clear

#3088441 - 12/20/12 10:57 AM Re: Cookbook review: Afield [Re: redblood]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

On the topic of duck confit...

The Majestic Grill restaurant on Main Street and Peabody Place downtown has a pretty tasty duck confit flatbread pizza. At lunch I think it goes for about $10-11

it has lots of greens on it, cranberries, carmelized onions, and some sort of vinagrette sauce drizzled on it. Tastes sort of like a duck salad pizza :).

#3088506 - 12/20/12 12:10 PM Re: Cookbook review: Afield [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: redblood
yes, cwd, scrapies, mad cow disease and other encephalopagies manifest themselves in spinal tissue of animals. i would steer clear

Never had a problem, never heard of anyone having a problem with neck roasts. I don't consider any of those realistic threats. While its true that encephalopagies can manifest themselves in spinal tissue, they can be found in all infected tissues. There are no cases of CWD in TN and no evidence to suggest that it can be transmitted to humans. Realistically, I would be more concerned about the health effects of eating lower quality, industrially produced meats than anything related to illness and whitetail meat. If you gave me a hardlined choice between eating either wild game offal and fast food meat exclusively, I'd go with the wild game offal because I believe it to be not only healthier, but a safer food supply.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3089930 - 12/21/12 09:21 AM Re: Cookbook review: Afield [Re: Poser]
pseshooter300
8 Point

Loc: kingsport

I have heard of this book
#3091671 - 12/22/12 07:30 PM Re: Cookbook review: Afield [Re: pseshooter300]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

The neck roast is by far my favorite cut of venison. Bone in, slow cooked in a Dutch oven...make yo tongue slap the back of yo head...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
46 registered (ProRock, catman529, Kritter Gitter, JAY B, Master Chief, 1bow4me, 5 invisible) and 94 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85366 Topics
1031511 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.244 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.