Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3084127 - 12/17/12 07:06 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: RxHunter]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Something about this is confusing......In the area I hunt very few people are even planting food plots...lots of row crop and crp...I dont see my area as any different than the next yet if the deer are eating my dried up soybeans that is a less than desirable herd indicator....I dont understand that...What I do believe is that deer in my area dont prefer brassicas they will eat them but it seems like after all else is gone...I wonder what other highly desirable food source could be out there since the neighbors are not planting food plots and no unharvested row crop..

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3084148 - 12/17/12 07:15 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Roost 1]
backwoodsoutfitters
4 Point

Loc: West TN

I hunted IL during the second gun season and the deer were hammering the bean fields. I'm still not sure what could be more desirable than beans right now,besides standing corn, unless they want to eat some stems, wheat, or rotting acorns.

#3084741 - 12/18/12 07:56 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Roost 1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
...if the deer are eating my dried up soybeans that is a less than desirable herd indicator....I dont understand that...

I wonder what other highly desirable food source could be out there since the neighbors are not planting food plots and no unharvested row crop..

That's the point Roost 1; there aren't any other higher quality food sources out there. As a habitat/property manager, that would be an indicator better food sources need to be planted/produced.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3084744 - 12/18/12 07:57 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: backwoodsoutfitters]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: backwoodsoutfitters
I hunted IL during the second gun season and the deer were hammering the bean fields. I'm still not sure what could be more desirable than beans right now,besides standing corn, unless they want to eat some stems, wheat, or rotting acorns.

Once again, that's the point. Better quality foods need to be planted.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3084829 - 12/18/12 08:51 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: jmf]
jmf
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, US

Originally Posted By: jmf
Bsk,

In a field with standing beans, wheat, oats, clover,rape, and winter peas, why are the deer paying more attention to the standing beans and leaving the rest somewhat untouched? This is the reason we have stopped planting everything but corn and beans. This is true even into the spring green up, not just during hunting season.

Bsk?

#3084841 - 12/18/12 08:58 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Originally Posted By: BSK

I understand what you are saying but I have over an acre of brassicas,which you are saying is higher quality, and he deer are not touching them...why would this be??

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3085310 - 12/18/12 01:50 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: jmf]
BSK
Non-Typical

Bsk,

In a field with standing beans, wheat, oats, clover,rape, and winter peas, why are the deer paying more attention to the standing beans and leaving the rest somewhat untouched? This is the reason we have stopped planting everything but corn and beans. This is true even into the spring green up, not just during hunting season.

Bsk?

I've never seen deer--anywhere in the country--prefer soybean beans over other, better food sources. Guess it's one of those things I would have to see to believe.

#3085316 - 12/18/12 01:51 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Roost 1]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Roost 1

I understand what you are saying but I have over an acre of brassicas,which you are saying is higher quality, and he deer are not touching them...why would this be??

Any single food source is going to be "iffy." Deer in one area may hit the snot out of it, and deer in another area not touch it. It's about having as many different food sources as possible available, and letting the deer choose between all of them.

#3085812 - 12/18/12 07:02 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

Deer are genetically driven to seek out high-energy foods at this time of year. If deer are subsisting heavily on soybeans at this time of year, their diet is lacking in what the most need. I would consider heavy utilization of soybeans at this time of year to be a negative indicator.

I have seen several instances where clover, WW and other food sources are within the deers range and they are in the beans. How come?

#3086390 - 12/19/12 07:11 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: richmanbarbeque]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

11 does in the beans yesterday afternoon.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
79 registered (volsgo1, trevor2010, leader, rescue2087, MUP, dralarms, 11 invisible) and 93 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93138 Topics
1088628 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.