Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3085396 - 12/18/12 02:42 PM Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

This question has probably been through here a million times, and the major answer is they are obviously eating something else.
And I do have some background in plant science, did turf management for many years and know about the lime and fert. and soil and chemicals and that stuff.
Well here goes. They are not hitting my food plot like anybody would think. And never have since I have been planting it.
Every year I tell myself that after the acorns are gone they will start hitting it, or when it gets cold enough they will start. But it never happens. First of all, I don't have the ability to plant more than one plot because of acreage and we have cows. Another bizarre thing is my friend that owns the land bodering me, has a food plot not far from mine and they tear it up. We always plant ours the same day, buy seed at the same time at the same place and together. but his is much more productive that mine.
Would yall think that there is something in the soil that makes the plants in his more desirable than mine?
We both plant oats, wheat, crimson clover, white clover, red clover, alyce clover, rape, and austrian winter peas. My oats have seed heads on them. The rest is just real tall like a spring time hayfield.
But there is more. Other than just hitting his food plot over mine, it seems as if they eat the fescue and poa anna grass in the pastures and hay fields bordering are land moreso than they do the food plot intentionally for the deer. They also love the ryegrass that we plant in select pastures for cattle grazing.
And I also do not think it is hunting pressure. I killed one deer in it out of 5 years. And I don't hunt it because, I don't see deer!!
Sorry for long read, but please give me some suggestions. Thanks.

#3085403 - 12/18/12 02:48 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: woodsman87]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Would yall think that there is something in the soil that makes the plants in his more desirable than mine?

Yeah, I think there has to be.
I've had similar experiences. You need to plant something else other than what your neighbor is planting regardless of what the deer next door seem to be eating. Also, I really HIGHLY doubt your seeing deer feeding on fescue and other perennial grasses. They're probably picking up little bits of this and that in between all the grasses that you aren't seeing (maybe some sort of small forbs or clovers or something). Keep experimenting.

#3085409 - 12/18/12 02:53 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: BlountArrow]
woodsman87
8 Point

Yea I guess it is probably clovers or something, and I would think that eat poa but probably not this tough nasty looking fescue. But I do know for sure they are eating the rye grass we planted, it is the first time we have planted rye grass for the cows and it has suddenly become the almost always see some does field for us.
the food plot part is just kinda irritating. and I don't know what else to use? They work for his so I always think it will work for mine. And he hunts the piss out of his and kills bucks and does in it every year and they still want move.
I am not really complaining because he lets me hunt his place too, just confused on why. Reading the standing beans thread has made this question come up to me. I may try that next year, may do half beans, half corn, and then throw wheat in it when it has turned.
Just dont know. Wish had more land to experiment but just dont.

#3085419 - 12/18/12 02:59 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: woodsman87]
BlountArrow
10 Point

I can tell you that I have planted several things in several places for deer and it is different everywhere I go. For the first time in 5 years, this year, I planted a solid acre roughly of chicory. Chicory is expensive. And, the deer on my place in South East TN absolutely tore it up from Summer until about 3 weeks ago. But, I planted some turnip and rape in the same places last year and the deer NEVER touched them. It's just different and you just have to keep trying different stuff. I have a place in North East TN that I can plant rape and turnips and come December it will look a lawnmower has ran over them. Like, I mean, it is all gone, every bit of it by December. Go figure, I'm convinced from talking to BSK and others the soil and nutrients in the soil must play a role in how these plants taste and you of course must factor in what else is around that is available for them to eat besides my food plot which is assuredly at least somewhat different in NorthEast and SouthEast TN.

#3085430 - 12/18/12 03:03 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: BlountArrow]
woodsman87
8 Point

Obviously they have my neighbors food plot that they get killed in all the time, and I know of another neighbor a good piece away that has some with I think just the big buck blend stuff, mainly wheat, but other than those plots there is nothing else. It is not a very agriculture area, no corn fields close, wheat, beans, whatever. The deer just have acorns in the fall and when they are gone, as far as I know, they have our three food plots and the rest is hardwoods/cedar thickets/ and cow pasture hay fields or horse pastures.
#3085442 - 12/18/12 03:10 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: woodsman87]
BlountArrow
10 Point

There are a multitude of things for deer to eat, various forbs, browse, saplings, weeds, dead leaves, briars, all sort of things - so don't think that just because you're not in the typical Agricultural area that the deer don't have a whole lot to eat when the acorns are gone. Like many have said before me, don't think you're doing much for the overall "dietary health" with a food plot either. Personally, I just want to attract deer to my property. I very rarely hunt over my food plots. And, if I can give the deer something they like through the winter then that is a big bonus. Try some chicory next year, try a few different things that no one else is planting...even if you have only enough space for one food plot split it up into different sections, offering different things, put out some cameras or put out some cages and see what the deer gravitate towards.

#3085467 - 12/18/12 03:29 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: BlountArrow]
woodsman87
8 Point

Yep variety is the spice of life. All of those plants I mentioned are in the same plot mixed together. I like planting the legumes because it helps the others get nitrogen plus clover is great for deer and turkey.
have any ever had luck with alfalfa down here? This is in giles co.

And I'm not so concerned with giving the deer nutrients because it's just too hard to do with little land. I just like attracting them so I can shoot em.

Edited by woodsman87 (12/18/12 03:30 PM)

#3085469 - 12/18/12 03:30 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yes. I have seen this type of situation more times than you would imagine. I have seen deer pound a particular plant in one food plot and not touch it in another food plot just a few hundred yards away. Why? I have no idea, other than something about the soil. Surprisingly, this situation you describe is far more common than you would think, even between plots on the same property, maintained and planted by the same people.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3085491 - 12/18/12 03:46 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

I just got to get a soil test done. I am not sure it will work but it is worth a try.
Would the same thing go with white oaks you think? Some particular oaks the eat em as soon as they fall, while other white oaks they just let them rot.
And would you think the location of plot could hurt? Mine is bordered by hackberry woods in three sides, and cow pasture on one. His is bordered with oak/hickory woods on four sides.
Another confusing thing is that his house is on one of the ends of his plot. Solve that one for me.

#3085513 - 12/18/12 03:59 PM Re: Question about not hitting a foodplot; long read [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I just got to get a soil test done. I am not sure it will work but it is worth a try.

Honestly, I'm not sure that "what is so different" about the soil from plot to plot will show up on a standard soil sample results. I suspect the difference is something very subtle.

Quote:
Would the same thing go with white oaks you think? Some particular oaks the eat em as soon as they fall, while other white oaks they just let them rot.

My deer must be hungrier than other people's deer, because if a tree produces acorns in my area, the deer eat them. The only time we see a lot of acorns going to root is if a lot of trees produced a lot of acorns (a volume thing, not a specific tree thing).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (excalhunter, Bow Hunter, fullstream, Cazador, Vermin93, SAWDUST, 16 invisible) and 124 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91756 Topics
1072360 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.