Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3083512 - 12/17/12 01:13 PM Hunting from the Ground
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Just curious how many hunt from the ground? And if you do, do you use a blind? Other than my permanent shooting house, I hunt exclusively from the ground now using a folding turkey hunters stool. I like the freedom it gives me to change locations whenever I want to.
#3083522 - 12/17/12 01:18 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
donedeer
Spike

Loc: smith county

I love hunting from the ground, I have actually taken several deer this way, just finding a spot and taken a chance there.But in the end I have had more sightings and less chance of getting caught from my stands,I do believe that when ground level your also nose level for cautious bucks,and easier to get noticed by that old doe,just my thoughts thow,but I still find myself hunting from the ground once in a while and kreeping up a ridge or gully,lol its what we do,lol
#3083530 - 12/17/12 01:25 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: donedeer]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

I would say 80-85% of my hunting is from the ground. I usually find me a good tree and I used to use a fold out chair, now I use a hammock seat. Use a blind every once in a while, but I mostly use natural terrain for concealment. A laid down tree top. Trees in close vicinity to one another, etc.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3083532 - 12/17/12 01:29 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: donedeer]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

I do quite a bit actually.. Just have to really watch the wind and keep your movement down. But like above seems like I see more deer when I'm elevated in a stand.. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or just coincidence.
#3083533 - 12/17/12 01:29 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: donedeer]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

I gun hunt only from the ground, bow hunting it depends on what I have to work with and what's around me. I prefer to bow hunt from a tree.

In the past I used a pop up ground blind brushed in, so I could shift if needed due to ever changing woods. This year I made 2 different brush blinds. I took a doe from one on Thanksgiving weekend.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3083558 - 12/17/12 01:53 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Redfred16]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I gun hunt from the ground a lot and sometimes archery too. I like to gun hunt thick cedars and stuff like that sitting under a tree. Killed a doe opening morning doing just that.

#3083564 - 12/17/12 01:59 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: catman529]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I like the freedom a blind gives me, to move around. No way I could hunt from the ground, as I'm too fidgety.

BUT... I prefer the visibility from my climber and, unless it is absolutely bitter cold, that is what I use.

#3083599 - 12/17/12 02:22 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: BMan]
Right_Tackle74
4 Point

Loc: Loudon, TN, USA

I hunt 90% of the time from the ground. I carry some leafy material they sell @ Wal-Mart in my back-pack. Find some thick stuff around a trail, Tie off some rope, and finally find some fallen down limbs to blend myself in. Took many a Deer this way. The other 10% of the time, I'm in a Shooting House.
#3083601 - 12/17/12 02:24 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: BMan]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I hunt public land a lot, and hate packing in a climber for gun hunts. I have learned the land well, and check weather reports for wind direction. I bring a retractable hand saw and/or pruners if not in an area with decent ground cover. In sparse areas, I have a very lightweight fold-out netting with 5 ground stakes that i can weave brush in to help concealment.

Most ground hunts are shorter term for me. If I want to commit to stay all day (or if I can come get it the following morning), I could justify the climber. Generally, though, I just love the freedom of being able to get up and go, or still hunt if the area I'm in is dead.

#3083663 - 12/17/12 03:09 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Crosshairy]
volsgo1
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. 38017

Best product Blind Hog Blind Pack. Straps on like a back pack holds my ground blind, fold up chair, cover alls, fanny pack and any other thing I need.

#3083667 - 12/17/12 03:14 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: volsgo1]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I love hunting from a tree stand but some times there's no trees, buy when i hunt from a ground i never use a ground blind i hate them for deer. Deer pick them out way to easy. I hunt in blow Downs or try to blend in the best i can. It's awesome hunting from the ground. And I've killed a few from it.

#3083668 - 12/17/12 03:15 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: volsgo1]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

i hunt from the ground alot. usually just sit up against a big tree. some places that i have permission to hunt on , i build blinds out of the natural materials in the woods. they are laid out like a v against a big tree. some of them i've even put overhead cover on.

#3083698 - 12/17/12 03:40 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
huntncoach
4 Point

Loc: Blount County, TN

Never really did until archery this year and took my first deer with my bow from the ground. No blind - just the briars and small pines! I do think I am much more vulnerable on the ground, though. Planning to set up a "natural blind" next season to to help me hide a little better. It is a rush to see deer up close sitting on the ground. The one I shot got as close as 3 yards!
#3083718 - 12/17/12 03:57 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: ]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

i hunt on the ground 100% of the time. i LOVE bowhunting from the ground with a compound and have gotten good at learning which trails to hunt with the morning and evening thermal rises and falls. nothing like killing them at 10 yards eye to eye with a bow

#3083814 - 12/17/12 04:58 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: knightrider]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
 Originally Posted By: knightrider
i hunt on the ground 100% of the time. i LOVE bowhunting from the ground with a compound and have gotten good at learning which trails to hunt with the morning and evening thermal rises and falls. nothing like killing them at 10 yards eye to eye with a bow

just curious. why do you not hunt from a treestand. i hate ground hunting. the higher the better imo

#3083913 - 12/17/12 05:41 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: knightrider]
chiggerbit
Spike

Loc: Lebanon, TN

I hunt mostly from a tree, but one of the most memorable bucks I've ever shot on the ground was a nine pointer several years back. A week or two earlier I found a couple of fresh beds and rubs in one end of a cedar strip that jutted out into a cutover. The other end of the cedar strip widened and led to a field on adjacent property.

I waited for the right wind, and the makeshift blind watching the logging trail that bisected the strip of cedars was the perfect ambush spot. The buck stepped out with no more than five minutes left of legal shooting light, and since the bedding spot was so close, it would've been a gamble to climb a tree without spooking the deer. Besides, my young son wouldn't have gotten to enjoy the action. I was a very short evening hunt that ended in big smiles!

Edited by chiggerbit (12/17/12 05:51 PM)

#3083939 - 12/17/12 05:48 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: chiggerbit]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Killed more big bucks from the ground than in a tree...

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3084066 - 12/17/12 06:40 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

It's guerrilla style hunting. You go in, find a spot, and set up with (usually) more spot options than a climber. It's quieter, too.

When I have a climber on my back, I have 20+lbs of stuff telling me "hurry up and find a place", while clinking and clanging on every branch and briar in the woods.

Hunt a trail through the thick stuff, and get behind a tree or two where you have narrow shooting lanes. The deer rarely have a chance to see you, and if you need to move 50 yards to get in a better vantage point, it's no problem.

Ive killed 2 of 3 deer from the ground this year. Did the same last year.

#3084257 - 12/17/12 08:08 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Crosshairy]
kgt
4 Point

Loc: East TN

100% from the ground myself. I don't own a stand. I'll probably try one next season, but I do alright from the ground. Plus I like the freedom to move around, spot and stalk, etc. I don't have the patience to sit in a stand all day.
#3084343 - 12/17/12 08:46 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: kgt]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I've hunted from the ground some but almost all my hunting is from a tree. I've taken several deer while ground hunting but mostly by stalking. I like the freedom to move but that's my problem...it's too easy to get up and move. I like the view better from 30 feet up.

#3084348 - 12/17/12 08:49 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: kgt]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

I usually ml and rifle hunt from the ground. I use a Summit Trophy Seat and a blind constructed of a 4x12 foot piece of camo material and 3 portable electric fence posts. Quick and easy to set up and take down and very effective concealment.
#3084668 - 12/18/12 06:41 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: volsgo1]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

depends, but i like ground hunting.
#3087094 - 12/19/12 02:52 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: kgt]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

I gun hunt quite a bit from the ground. Some mornings I'll sit on the edge of a field for an hour or so, then slip back to a couple ridges. If the leaves are wet, sometimes I'll still hunt. I move a bit more when it's either sex trying to locate the deer.

#3087200 - 12/19/12 04:02 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: JeepKuntry]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

I killed one from the ground last night
#3090100 - 12/21/12 10:41 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: volsgo1]
pastorofgrace
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

Enjoy hunting from the ground and then still hunting.

#3090163 - 12/21/12 11:18 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

In a tree most of the time. However, I have hunted from the ground only three times this year and got 3 does and 1 buck. Always pay extra attention to the wind when on the ground.
#3090186 - 12/21/12 11:32 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: oldmanelrod]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

I have hunted a couple of times this year from the ground and saw deer both times. I have also killed two of my older bucks from the ground in the past. However, my personal preference is to be in a tree.

#3090190 - 12/21/12 11:36 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: TN Larry]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
tall tall tree for me

#3090469 - 12/21/12 03:54 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: redblood]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I do now and then enjoy it. I hunt from ground blinds made from available material or just an old fallen tree. Do a lot of still hunting when it is really windy-like today and do okay at it. Do it mostly during bow season when there is more cover and less danger.

Use to do a lot of it hunting from a float boat. haven't done that in years but it was once, quite effective for me. Too hard now to get all the permission needed for private land and too much work on Corps property.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3090490 - 12/21/12 04:05 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: bowriter]
Swampster
4 Point

Loc: Huron, TN, USA

I've had some success from the ground, but seems I have less room for error as far as wind, scent, .... I live on 140 acres and that is the only place I hunt. When on the ground, I can get impatient and fidgety, knowing that a cold beer and warm fire is only a five or ten minute walk away. My stationary blind blocks the wind and my movement ... wonder how many deer I've scared away with my snoring though? I just like being out - don't have to actually shoot anything.
#3090833 - 12/21/12 08:48 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Swampster]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

I hunt from a tree in one spot. The spot my ladder stand is. All other hunting is from the ground. No climber for this klutz. I've only used the new blind once but I think I am going to enjoy it tremendously.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3092552 - 12/23/12 02:54 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Bowdacious]
156p&y
10 Point

Loc: Franklin Tn

During rifle and muzzleloader I pretty much am on the ground the whole time. I just constantly play the wind and use it to my advantage. I've never used a ground blind but just make sure I have a face mask, there is plenty of natural cover to take advantage of. The last 4 bucks have come from ground hunts, and they have been the biggest bucks I've ever shot. I have a hard time finding or seeing big mature deer if I only stand hunt, I learn more on the ground

#3092554 - 12/23/12 02:55 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: 156p&y]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

spent saturday morning on the ground. didn't like it at all. the vantage from an elevated stand is much better.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3092722 - 12/23/12 05:03 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: redblood]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: redblood

just curious. why do you not hunt from a treestand. i hate ground hunting. the higher the better imo
i love the one on one eye to eye of hunting from the ground!!! I hate hauling those climbing stands around on my back an trying to hang a little stand that i know im not going to be comfortable in, i tried the stand thing about twenty years ago but it just wasnt for me, i find it much more fun to hunt them from the ground

#3093234 - 12/23/12 11:24 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: knightrider]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Well, looks like I'm not the only one then. I was starting to think everybody else used ladder stands. I have a homemade ladder stand that I use in one location - it's probably 200lbs so is way too much trouble to ever move - and I have a shooting house but most of the time I like the freedom of being on the ground as I said originally. I know it is a disadvantage because of my scent being down where the deer are plus any movements I make are at a deer's eye level. However, I think a plus with ground hunting is that you can move everytime you hunt if you want. You can hunt the wind better and since you are moving more, the deer can't pattern you as well.

And too, it's a lot safer. I know several guys who have been seriously hurt falling from stands. Being afraid of heights anyway, I just decided a few years ago to quit using my ladder or climbing stand and go back to ground hunting.

#3093319 - 12/24/12 06:28 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: bowriter]
caveman
Spike

I have 8 climbers through out the 269 acres I hunt on. I killed a huge 6 pt that weighed in excess of 200 lbs easily. He had a 17 in inside spread. I had gotten off the stand at 1000 am opting to sit next to a oak tree for better viewing of a thicket. At 10:48 am big boy walks straight to me and I got him at 15 yards away. On the Ground?

Killed a 13 pt at 10:29 AM a week later. On the Ground snuggled next to a oak tree with a small cedar next to me for cover.

It's about the wind and your scent. Not how high you get.

#3093333 - 12/24/12 06:59 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: caveman]
archer19
10 Point

Loc: Erwin, TN

Mostly a stand hunter.
But during muzzy and rifle I will hunt on the ground.
Use my tree umbrella as a quick blind and a mono pod
Shooting stick and good to go.
Has it's advantages with being able to move quickly and thickets with no climbable trees.
Bow season is primarily hunting food sources (acorns) and just climb the tree the are munching under.

SEC hater!

#3093440 - 12/24/12 08:18 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: archer19]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Only times I have ever hunted from the ground was when I was a kid, hunting with my kid, and heavy rain/winds.

I love hunting from above and hunt out of Summit Climbers 99% of the time.

#3093455 - 12/24/12 08:37 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: gator-n-buck]
ClubHead
6 Point

Loc: Benton Co.Ky Lake,Tn

I was mainly a die hard climber guy but learned that the older you get,they become aggrivating.I now use a climber few times a year.I use a few ladder stands and ground hunt the rest of the time.Ive killed a lot of deer on the ground.
#3093490 - 12/24/12 09:10 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: archer19]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: archer19
Mostly a stand hunter.
But during muzzy and rifle I will hunt on the ground.
Use my tree umbrella as a quick blind and a mono pod
Shooting stick and good to go.
Has it's advantages with being able to move quickly and thickets with no climbable trees.
Bow season is primarily hunting food sources (acorns) and just climb the tree the are munching under.

I added the emphasis to your shooting stick comment. I won't hunt if I don't have a shooting stick. I'm always on the lookout for a nice straight stick when I start to get close to a spot I want to hunt. IT's free and can make all the difference in making the shot when the time comes. When I leave for the day, I just lean the stick against the tree so that when I come back to that spot, I have a shooting stick for the rest of that season.

#3094164 - 12/24/12 05:59 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I have been using a steadyrest for years. Have one on every rifle. Works standing or sitting and can still use use a rest.

#3094214 - 12/24/12 06:35 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Just curious how many hunt from the ground? And if you do, do you use a blind? Other than my permanent shooting house, I hunt exclusively from the ground now using a folding turkey hunters stool. I like the freedom it gives me to change locations whenever I want to.

Same here when i need to change locations i just get up and walk to my other hunting spot. i use to have a ground blind and i got tired of having to take it down and put it back up and i gave it to a other hunter.

#3094292 - 12/24/12 07:58 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: redblood]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

%100 agree and very rarely hunt from the ground unless im still hunting, %90 of my deer are taken from 20ft up..... when your on the ground its to easy to lose faith in your spot ( the grass is always greener effect ) to many times you hear stories of " soon as i moved i jumped a monster buck, if i would have only stayed in my spot "

Edited by in the dog house! (12/24/12 08:01 PM)

Μολων λαβε

#3094996 - 12/25/12 01:27 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: in the dog house!]
recurve60#
4 Point

Loc: Rock Island

Gave my climbers away. I do have a ladder stand here and there, but mostly on the ground.

Have seen maybe thirty deer the last week and one coyote. Three bucks this morning, but were young peckerheads.

#3095003 - 12/25/12 01:32 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: volsgo1]
primos32
6 Point

Loc: Savannah, TN

content Online
I hunt alot from the ground during gun season. Mostly from a climber during bow. I do feel like I see more deer from a stand however.
#3095048 - 12/25/12 02:27 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: primos32]
bowriter
Non-Typical

The main reason I mostly hunt from stands is that I am constantly wanting to move. Stands keep in one place longer.

#3095332 - 12/25/12 07:47 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: bowriter]
156p&y
10 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
The main reason I mostly hunt from stands is that I am constantly wanting to move. Stands keep in one place longer.

I think that is most people's problem when hunting from the ground. I usually sit in one spot for most of the day but it will sometimes take me several hours to get to that spot. My main concern is am I hunting the wind right. I have to constantly remind myself that I do not have to be in any given spot at any given time and that I am just hunting to that spot, so take my time.

The advantages to me for ground hunting out weigh the advantages of being in a tree.
I gather more information on what the deer are doing by hunting my way in than I ever would walking in the dark. I enjoy it more since I don't feel like I have to be at a particular spot at a certain time. It seems like we are always on schedules and must meet demands at a particular time. I like to take that out of hunting as much as possible. Usually by the time I reach where I want to hunt the early morning winds have settled into a holding pattern and I can enjoy things much better when I am set up. I will not sit in a stand or in a spot with the wrong wind direction; it drives me bonkers and will force me to move. I don't care how high you get or how much scent control you use if a mature deer is down wind of you he is going to smell you period. Without my stand I have less to worry about for getting the wind right for that area.

I have learned that I must have my head up when I myself move or I'm going to bump more deer than I see. My dad taught me at a young age to stop every three to four steps; look at the ground while I'm paused and get a good mental picture of where my feet need to go. Then when I move again my head is up and scanning. I wear the same amount of clothing you would if your sitting on stand, if you get too hot your moving too fast. And I always wear a low brimmed boonie hat with a facemask at all times.

Of course there are plenty of situations that I have no choice to go in early and set up. But there is nothing I love more than a cold soggy wet morning to hunt.

Bowriter where did you get that rest? and do you place it on your hip when standing?

#3095373 - 12/25/12 08:06 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: in the dog house!]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!

%100 agree and very rarely hunt from the ground unless im still hunting, %90 of my deer are taken from 20ft up..... when your on the ground its to easy to lose faith in your spot ( the grass is always greener effect ) to many times you hear stories of " soon as i moved i jumped a monster buck, if i would have only stayed in my spot "

Scared of heights. \:\) Seriously. I don't mind it in my homemade ladder stand because it's so sturdy that it doesn't flex at all unlike the flimsy manufactured stands. But it weighs everybit of 200lbs and is a wee but hard to move. Even for the light weight store bought ladders, they are too much trouble to put up. That alone will make you tend to overhunt a spot because it;s easier than moving the stand. And theres not always a suitable tree right where I want it. Another thing I don't like is that the very act of leaving a ladder stand up is that you are telling another hunter where a good spot is. They may hunt out of your stand or worse steal it.

Yeah, I know being up high has a lot of it's own advantages. I've just gotten to the point that I prefer the ground and trying to use brush or briars for cover.

#3095387 - 12/25/12 08:15 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Regarding the Steady Rest, that is a nice rest but mine is way cheaper and easier to obtain. I just find a stick about 3 to 3.5 feet long when I sit down. I curl 3 fingersof my left hand around the stickand let the rifle forend sit cradled between my forefinger and thumb. It gives great verticle stability and you don't have to carry it in or out of the woods. I lean it against the tree when I leave and the next time I hunt there I have my shooting stick ready. By the end of the season, the woods have a bunch of trees with straight sticks against them.
#3095507 - 12/25/12 09:34 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

I hunt from a climber, so i can be in a different tree every hunt if i want. And i hunt in my climber facing the tree, I never turn around in it (feel much safer with my weight always biting into the tree ) so the tree is always between me and where the deer come from plus it makes a nice rest for my gun.

Μολων λαβε

#3095954 - 12/26/12 10:15 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: in the dog house!]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
I hunt from a climber, so i can be in a different tree every hunt if i want. And i hunt in my climber facing the tree, I never turn around in it (feel much safer with my weight always biting into the tree ) so the tree is always between me and where the deer come from plus it makes a nice rest for my gun.

You make a good point about facing the tree in a climber. I agree. When I used a climber, I wanedt my weight out as far from the tree as possible so those spikes were really dug into the tree. The closer to the tree you get the more vertical force you transfer to the contact points and the more likely you are to end up on the ground! \:\(

#3095982 - 12/26/12 10:29 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Hunter 257W]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Very very rarely hunt from the ground, only when the situation forces me too. I much prefer to be 20+ ft up if at all possible.
#3096138 - 12/26/12 12:50 PM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: Winchester]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

156p&y,

Are you hunting places you have scouted/hunted in the past and are very familiar with? I like to use a strategy similar to yours, but I find myself always worried about what I'm missing. I sometimes press on farther only to discover that I would have been better off sitting down 50 yards earlier. At that point, I feel like I have ruined my chances by walking over the area where deer are most likely to come through. How do you handle this?

#3097010 - 12/27/12 12:17 AM Re: Hunting from the Ground [Re: WMAn]
156p&y
10 Point

I've hunted this place for many years, and it has taken me many years to figure out how to move on it. When it comes down to it I really don't know exactly where the deer will be coming from but I try to move in a pattern that will not mess myself up. Now whether or not they are coming in from adjoining property I really try not to worry about that because I can't hunt it anyway. I mainly do not like to bump deer in the morning because my hunt has just started, I don't really care about the afternoon when I walk out because the deer have hours upon hours to go anywhere and forget about it during the night.

Even though I do this on land I hunt on a regular basis I prefer to do it more on new tracts of land more than anything. Basically because I get to scout the whole time I'm hunting my way in. There have been many times that I thought I had a determined destination but sign has told me to sit down and hunt; and it has paid off many times.

I do think that this method of hunting works by far the best during the rut. I firmly believe that just a matter of 200 yards can be the difference of seeing all the rutting activity or seeing none at all; which is the main reason I do not like to bump deer during the rut. If I am seeing deer I just sit and watch, if I am not I keep moving.

During early and late season I would rather sit in one spot, it seems the deer move very little in distance from bedding to feeding areas this time of year.

As for not walking over areas the deer will be coming from I almost always try to move in a U shape or L shape downwind to get to where I want to go. I'm not just wandering but checking places of interest along the way.

It also helps if your hunting open hardwoods, thicket stuff can be nearly impossible to move through without spreading scent everywhere, and I usually will skirt the edges around thick cover.

I would also say my binoculars save me more than anything, but for myself I have to slow myself down a considerable amount and force myself to use them. I've even had experiences where I spot deer within 30 yards laying down that I would have never known they were there without the optics.

A lot of it is a mental game though for me. If I find myself thinking "I should hunt here" I have learned that I just need to listen to that and relax, sit down, and hunt. When I over think is when I screw myself.

I do know one thing for a fact; no matter how long I have hunted a farm things change weekly. Deer will for sure move through certain areas always but the sign I want to hunt always changes. So basically for me I am using it more as a way of scouting than hunting; which means I probably scout more than I hunt during rifle. It is the only way I can sort of assemble a "pattern" on a mature deer. Plus I have had big deer literally fall into my lap by hunting this way and following the sign.

My dad and I were talking about this exact subject the other night and we have killed more than 90% of our wall hangers by hunting this way, from the ground. We think your scent saturates a massive area when hunting stationary from daylight. I have 13 mounts in my house ranging from 120-175 and 11 of them have been from the ground. I think my dad has about 7 and all of his are from the ground and range from public to private land.

Sorry for such a long post but I obviously believe in this method and enjoy it.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
86 registered (hitek7, excalhunter, TNtrapper, JACO0334, mrjim43, 7mmMag, 9 invisible) and 151 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99344 Topics
1168640 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.084 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.