Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3082024 - 12/16/12 02:46 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Aren't soybeans high in protein? And if they are, and the deer do eat them, why would they need another high-quality food?

I've always thought that deer wouldn't eat them myself so have yet to try them. Well, other than the forage type that produce few actual beans.

#3082749 - 12/16/12 09:55 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Hunter 257W]
jmb4wd
8 Point

Loc: Christiana, TN

I notice that some of my standing beans get eaten late in the season, but very few.

Im sure if we had snow knee deep and sub-zero temps for long, they would be much prefered later in the winter.

Food Plot Establishment and Maintenance

Justin

#3082835 - 12/16/12 11:31 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: muddyboots]
jmf
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, US

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: backwoodsoutfitters
I believe standing beans is one of the best late season crops you can leave for deer. Mix it with wheat and really gets good, anyone else believe in leaving standing beans for food plots?

I think the value of standing dead beans as a fall/winter food source is highly over-rated.

Tell that to the 31 deer i saw last week in one afternoon.

Muddyboots,

Depends on what other food sources are available. If little else of high-quality is available, deer will really go for standing dead soybeans (the beans themselves). But time and again, I've seen deer with plenty of other high-quality food sources available simply ignore standing dead beans. Again, over-rated compared to what could be provided.

What would u call higher quality food source this time of year?

I want to know also. We have planted every kind of fall/winter crop you could. Our best luck has been corn and beans. Our deer seem to like this combination allot more than anything else we have planted. We have noticed that they will feed allot longer and more often in the corn/standing beans. Before, we would plant wheat, rape, oats, peas, and clover and the deer sightings were not as good plus they would only stay in the plot enough to nibble here and there. The green plots never were eaten down or even a noticeable graze line in them. It was like they would just nibble here and there. I have seen deer in the corn/standing bean plots for over an hour feeding. Corn/standing beans is what we will stay with. We have experimented with lots of crops and these do best for us.

#3082948 - 12/17/12 06:42 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: jmf]
backwoodsoutfitters
4 Point

Loc: West TN

I hunted our standing beans yesterday not expecting to see much, but had fifteen does in them eating the crap out of them, on doe was bleating and chasing another doe out of the beans all afternoon.

This farm has never had standing beans till last year and it has made a huge difference in the amount of deer seen during the late season. After Dec, the deer would hardly ever use these same fields before the standing beans. We still have plenty of acorns around as well.

Edited by backwoodsoutfitters (12/17/12 06:42 AM)

#3082965 - 12/17/12 06:58 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: muddyboots]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

BSK, What would u call higher quality food source this time of year?

Yes, BSK, I would also be interested to know because on my place (South East TN)I have noticed soy beans are not much of a late season attractant to deer and it makes me wonder what other food source they are preferring. So, what would you call a higher quality food source that a man could put on his property? BTW, I do plant them but I tend to think food plots are somewhat over-rated in many areas of TN by and large.

#3082978 - 12/17/12 07:10 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BlountArrow]
backwoodsoutfitters
4 Point

Loc: West TN

An old timer once told me that standing beans was the best crop you could have out for deer. This old timer has ten deer on his wall and they range from 128" to 154". Most came from Carroll County, which has some exceptionally big deer running around around anyway, but now all the land they own is close to home in Crockett.

My point to the story is these guys chose to run beans and corn down here too since 2009 and a grandson shot a 147 inch deer this year in juvenile. The boy was ten yrs old and proli ruined now.

#3083035 - 12/17/12 07:46 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Aren't soybeans high in protein? And if they are, and the deer do eat them, why would they need another high-quality food?

First, protein is not what deer need at this time of year. Protein can be converted to energy, but not very efficiently. Deer will be looking for foods that produce more energy more efficiently, such as foods high in carbohydrates, sugars, and lipids (fat), while also having the highest digestibility.

Also remember that what a plant contains, and how it tastes, may be too different things.

What your local deer will choose as a preferred food will be dependant on many factors, and the only way to find out is to experiment with everything possible: cereal grains, brassicas (rape, kale, turnips, sugar beets, etc.), and of course corn (left standing) all are good sources of energy.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3083048 - 12/17/12 07:55 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

I got over an acre of brassicas for the 2nd yr in a row untouched... While my beans are demolished.... Now come Feb the brassicas will be tore up but that does me no good.... I will not be wasting any more $$$ on brassicas such...IMO soybeans are proven!!!

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3083068 - 12/17/12 08:10 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Roost 1]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Rye grain,oats,clover, Austrian winter peas mixed makes a great crop.And its cheap and super easy.

#3083121 - 12/17/12 08:47 AM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Roost 1]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
...Now come Feb the brassicas will be tore up but that does me no good....

How is it that does you no good?

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (TRIGGER, jbranham63, Dodge Man, Bullydog, Vermin93, BAMA BOW MERKER) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95795 Topics
1121467 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.