Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3080986 - 12/15/12 06:43 PM Italian Venison Sausage start to finish
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Whew... long day of making sausage. We did several pounds of Italian and Chorizo sausage. I didn't document the chorizo, but here's how we did the Italian.

Sausage casings: Use all natural casings. The fibrous one are junk. Also, don't buy you casings from Bass Pro etc. I have had problems with their casings tearing very easily. I'm not sure, may they set on the shelves too long or something. I get mine from a local meat market.

Pork fat: We used pork fat back from Newman farms which is heritage Berkshire pork raised 100% outdoors on pastures. I get this at the Farmer's market in the summer and freeze it until needed.

Seasonings: Use the freshest seasonings possible. Seasonings that sit on your shelf for months and months or even years, tend to turn into sawdust, especially after you freeze them.

Step 1: Grind your venison

Step 2: Grind the pork fat

Step 3: Blend the fat and venison. I do this buy sight, basically eyeball a 3-1 ration of venison to fat.

Step 4: Season.

I used the following:

Roasted Fennel (very important. You'll have to roast it yourself)
Red pepper
Salt
Italian Herb
Cayenne
Anise Seed
Roasted Garlic Paprika
Red Wine Vinegar

Other items you could also use:
Onion
Red Wine
Mace
Anything else that sounds good.

Be very generous with the quantities. You'll want a skillet going and make sample patties until you reach the desired flavor profile.

Step 4: Stuff the casings

Step 5: Twist at desired intervals

Step 6: Eat and enjoy!

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3081050 - 12/15/12 07:17 PM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: Poser]
BigPete357
6 Point

Loc: Columbia,TN

Beautiful work!
#3081105 - 12/15/12 07:53 PM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: BigPete357]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Looks great!

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3081451 - 12/16/12 07:16 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: Andy S.]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Looks great, the last batch I did, we made links and a couple 3ft. coils as well.

I see you are using your grinder with the stuff tube attachment, I used to do it that way as well then purchased a seperate stuffer, canister style with a crank handle, loads up to 10lbs of ground meat and just crank the handle. No rerunning the meat through the grinder again. I know some like it that way (finer chopped)

FDXX75

#3081455 - 12/16/12 07:26 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

I've had loads of trouble with the fat clogging my grinder (use fat from a Boston butt). Other than that I don't use casings and freeze in vacuumed packages but it is good!

Nice work poser!

#3081476 - 12/16/12 07:36 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: BowGuy84]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: BowGuy84
I've had loads of trouble with the fat clogging my grinder (use fat from a Boston butt). Other than that I don't use casings and freeze in vacuumed packages but it is good!

Nice work poser!

If you have a local butcher shop, stop in and ask them if they will sell you their pork scrap trimmings. This is the trimming they have/use to make their own sausage with. It usually is end cuts, marbled pieces of pork, etc. I buy mine like that in chunk form and run it through the course grinder plate first.
A good tip is the have the meat chilled before grinding, it helps wonders with not clogging the grinder up.

FDXX75

#3081653 - 12/16/12 09:03 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Yum!

#3081702 - 12/16/12 09:36 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Looks great, the last batch I did, we made links and a couple 3ft. coils as well.

I see you are using your grinder with the stuff tube attachment, I used to do it that way as well then purchased a seperate stuffer, canister style with a crank handle, loads up to 10lbs of ground meat and just crank the handle. No rerunning the meat through the grinder again. I know some like it that way (finer chopped)

FDXX75

Yeah, a stuffer has been on my list forever -just one of those things I haven't gotten around to purchasing (kind of like a HUGE meat cleaver and rubber mallet for splitting bones and a man sized butcher's block.... and a dedicated refrigerator for curing meat.... and a 40 qt stock pot). Butchering equipment is almost as cool and addictive as hunting gear. Almost.

So many animals to turn into sausages.... so little time.

#3081716 - 12/16/12 09:45 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
 Originally Posted By: BowGuy84

Nice work poser!

If you have a local butcher shop, stop in and ask them if they will sell you their pork scrap trimmings. This is the trimming they have/use to make their own sausage with. It usually is end cuts, marbled pieces of pork, etc. I buy mine like that in chunk form and run it through the course grinder plate first.
A good tip is the have the meat chilled before grinding, it helps wonders with not clogging the grinder up.

FDXX75

Yeah. I agree. Cold meat will grind better. Since the process usually takes awhile, I'm always sure to stick anything not being used at the moment back in the fridge. For example, I put the ground pork fat for the Chorizo back in the fridge while we were making the Italian. Running the meat through the grinder will heat it up somewhat, so you want it all as cold as possible. I like mine to be just barely thawed when we begin the process.

I always do some of the meat not in casings, too. I set aside some of the Italian sausage ground to make meatballs with tonight, for example, but it is great to have some sausages to just throw on the grill. -makes great gifts for family and friend, too. Give someone (who appreciates food) some venison stuffed in a casing and watch their eyes light up \:\)

That being said, it is an amount of work, especially if you are new to sausage making and also if you are like me and don't really have "recipes" per say, just mix things together until you like the taste. -that can take awhile. Fun, but time consuming.... kinda like hunting.

#3081799 - 12/16/12 10:52 AM Re: Italian Venison Sausage start to finish [Re: Poser]
Dale817
4 Point

Loc: Montgomery Co.

Man you makin me hungry,what time is dinner?Lol
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
18 registered (bgrooms, Vermin93, stilllookin, levermann, Deerbuster1996, Southern Sportsman, 2 invisible) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95878 Topics
1122709 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.