Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3083440 - 12/17/12 12:29 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Aren't soybeans high in protein? And if they are, and the deer do eat them, why would they need another high-quality food?

First, protein is not what deer need at this time of year. Protein can be converted to energy, but not very efficiently. Deer will be looking for foods that produce more energy more efficiently, such as foods high in carbohydrates, sugars, and lipids (fat), while also having the highest digestibility.

Also remember that what a plant contains, and how it tastes, may be too different things.

What your local deer will choose as a preferred food will be dependant on many factors, and the only way to find out is to experiment with everything possible: cereal grains, brassicas (rape, kale, turnips, sugar beets, etc.), and of course corn (left standing) all are good sources of energy.

Yeah, I know they need/prefer high carb feed during cold weather but since no single source is going to make up 100% of a deer's diet, a high protein food that they will eat can't be a bad thing for Winter. Again, I'm thinking about how I have my multiple food plots scattered around the farm with a good variety of plants. Including several that have standing corn mixed in with Pennington Spring/Summer deer mix.

#3083464 - 12/17/12 12:42 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Hunter 257W]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

My soybeans never made it to late season, lol - the deer had them tore up by the end of Sept.

If I do decide to plant them again, I think I will broadcast them instead of having them planted in rows. I watched deer come out in the field and just walk along the row snipping the new growth as they walked by

#3083482 - 12/17/12 12:53 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Yeah, I know they need/prefer high carb feed during cold weather but since no single source is going to make up 100% of a deer's diet...

And that's why a well-designed habitat management plan provides a little of everything. Over time, for that location (and it can be different in different locations) you can decipher which food items deer will seek out, and focus more efforts on those food sources.

To date, I've never seen a local deer herd focus on eating soybean beans in winter when better food sources were available.

Quote:
...a high protein food that they will eat can't be a bad thing for Winter.

Of course not. Any higher-quality food is of benefit. My point is, I wouldn't focus management efforts on producing standing dead soybean fields if herd health and attractiveness are your habitat management goal.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3083485 - 12/17/12 12:55 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
backwoodsoutfitters
4 Point

Loc: West TN

What are your examples of better food for deer to eat this time of year?

#3083494 - 12/17/12 12:59 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: backwoodsoutfitters]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: backwoodsoutfitters
What are your examples of better food for deer to eat this time of year?

I already listed them above.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3083538 - 12/17/12 01:32 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
THE DUKE
6 Point

Loc: Lebanon,Tennessee

Hunting over a bean field is baiting Lol
#3083544 - 12/17/12 01:38 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: BSK]
Quailman
8 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

My point is, I wouldn't focus management efforts on producing standing dead soybean fields if herd health and attractiveness are your habitat management goal.

Many people would disagree with this statement, myself included. Soybeans can be a highly attractive late season food source even when other high quality foods are available. They are high in carbohydrates at this time of the year, so they can provide much needed nutrition when most food sources are lacking.

#3083547 - 12/17/12 01:45 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Quailman]
jmf
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, US

Bsk,

In a field with standing beans, wheat, oats, clover,rape, and winter peas, why are the deer paying more attention to the standing beans and leaving the rest somewhat untouched? This is the reason we have stopped planting everything but corn and beans. This is true even into the spring green up, not just during hunting season.

Edited by jmf (12/17/12 01:46 PM)
Edit Reason: added rape

#3083587 - 12/17/12 02:18 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: Quailman]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Quailman
My point is, I wouldn't focus management efforts on producing standing dead soybean fields if herd health and attractiveness are your habitat management goal.

Many people would disagree with this statement, myself included. Soybeans can be a highly attractive late season food source even when other high quality foods are available. They are high in carbohydrates at this time of the year, so they can provide much needed nutrition when most food sources are lacking.

I realize we disagree on this topic Quailman. I can only go with what I have seen and experienced. Let me say again, across the whitetails range north to south and east to west, I have NEVER seen deer favor soybean beans over other better food sources when they are available. I consider deer focusing on soybens as a primary food source in winter the sign of deer herd without access to higher-quality food sources. Basically, a less than desirable indicator.

#3083946 - 12/17/12 05:49 PM Re: Standing beans. [Re: jmf]
RxHunter
Button

Loc: West Tn

My place is the same way. I have a variety of the plants you have listed and the deer will always pay more attention to the beans. Its hard to understand how the others are better when they are not getting used as much.

I will agree corn may be a better source of high energy food but it is sigificantly harder to grow a good stand and you cant see the deer as good.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (catman529, dhj, Cottontop, BamaProud, MsuFinProf, Nealmeally, 2 invisible) and 73 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069316 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.