#3093362 - 12/24/12 07:32 AM Re: QDM Success in East TN [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: boweye91
My land is super thick and I notice every year, the bucks move into this de facto sanctuary as the fall progresses. I'm actually going in to "rethincken" some of the areas this winter to improve browse and cover...but much smaller patches than what it was/is.

Good idea. Although I don't have enough data to show the trend clearly enough (yet), the number of different bucks that use my property each deer season appears to be closely tied to the percent of the property in sanctuary cover. As that percentage has risen and fallen over the years, the number of individual bucks using the property during hunting season has risen and fallen in parallel.
I agree,but you should have plenty of cover from all the select cut you have been doing the last couple years,wonder why a "down" year this year?

It's not down. 4th highest total buck population yet recorded and tied for 3rd highest number of 2 1/2+ year-old bucks. Just took hunting pressure and the rut to get them to start using the property.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3095818 - 12/26/12 09:02 AM Re: QDM Success in East TN [Re: boweye91]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: boweye91
Not necissarily a bad thing String Music. Gives them places to hide and you get to hunt then on the fringes (I know you know this based on posts).

Sounds like my land but just about 15 times bigger! My land is super thick and I notice every year, the bucks move into this de facto sanctuary as the fall progresses. I'm actually going in to "rethincken" some of the areas this winter to improve browse and cover...but much smaller patches than what it was/is.

Anyways, fantastic buck and congrats on the 8 pt. I'm impressed with your ability to stay on them while going through law school. My work this year has been nonexistent on my land.

That is true in some areas, but in others not even a mountain goat would choose to venture in. Deer would certainly flock to these areas if required (heavy hunting pressure, wildfire, etc), but we try to enhance and protect the areas they prefer to be in and that give us an advantage when hunting.
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3098409 - 12/27/12 09:51 PM Re: QDM Success in East TN [Re: String Music]
KillenTime
4 Point

Loc: West Tn.

Great looking deer! If everybody would manage their property like this, people would want to hunt in Tennessee instead of looking for outfitters in other states to get a trophy.Good Job!
#3098680 - 12/28/12 08:11 AM Re: QDM Success in East TN [Re: String Music]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: String Music
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: String Music
This was him two years ago:

I think your tracking and documentation of this particular buck is a testament to what we COULD have a LOT MORE OF if we simply were NOT killing off most of our above average 2 1/2-yr-old bucks.

Everyone go back and take another look at this buck when he was presumed to be 3 1/2. Would you say he was very much beyond an "average" 3 1/2 in the antler department? No doubt he was above average (as a 2 1/2 & 3 1/2), but my point is he wasn't all that much above "average".

Yet just look at what he became! HUGELY ANTLERED at 4 1/2 and older!

We hunters who claim we want to see and kill more very large antlered mature bucks have become our own cause of it not happening more. Every time we kill an above average 2 1/2 or 3 1/2, we're eliminating a lot of potential opportunity for something we claim we want more (huge antlers).

Again, I think it's amazing that this buck grew such large antlers when he became 4 1/2 and older. Also think we would see a lot like this if we weren't killing them as 2 1/2's & 3 1/2's.
This one tells the story in pictures. \:\)

This may have been a picture of him when he was 2 1/2. Also, this picture was taken at the end of January when body size can be a bit misleading.

I'm almost certain he was 4 1/2 last year and 5 1/2 this year. If he was only 4 1/2 this year I can only imagine/dream about what he would have been next year.

While I agree that high grading is somewhat of an issue and killing top end 3 1/2's in high #'s definitely hurts the chances of having truly huge racked bucks at maturity, this deer proves its not always the case. If this pic is when the buck is 3 1/2 he's definitely not way above average, actually probably dead on average for his age and antlers here in East TN. Then he makes a monstrous jump at 4 1/2 and 5 1/2. While I agree high grading exists, If anything I think this deer defies the high grading theory somewhat! Truly an awesome buck regardless string, hate you didnt get to finish the deal!

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
23 registered (BuckDropper, Super8, David1475, BamaProud, KubotaM4900, TAFKAP, 2 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94109 Topics
1099508 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.286 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.