Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3077397 - 12/13/12 11:56 AM 1st Day back in the woods
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

After two weeks in Mexico, I managed to get right back out in the woods this morning trying to catch the last of this cold front. Last Winter, I had cut down 30+ saplings to create some narrow, 45 yard shooting lanes in a patch of dense woods. In the past, I have successfully hunted the perimeters, but I knew I was missing some opportunities. Back in August, I put out a rather beat up ground blind of mine. The raccoons had worked it over pretty good, so it had some holes in it. The tent poles for the roof were cracked and duct taped together, plus the whole thing was rather bleached from the sun. -pretty rag tag ground blind by anyone's standards.

Anyway, I was excited to have a (somewhat rare this time of year) East wind this morning because I could hunt this blind. When I arrived at 4:45, I discover that the blind had been stolen. Now, I'm going to guess that the blind was even in worse condition after sitting out for another 2-3 months. So, it had to been stolen out of contempt as I can't imagine the condition of the blind had any allure to any practically minded hunter, serious thief or not. I have a tree with 30 screw in steps just 50-60 yards away that I checked on the way out and it had not been bothered.

So anyway, I did not have my Tree Saddle with me since I was intending to hunt from the blind, so I just set up against a sapling, probably sticking out like a sore thumb, and did not see any deer.

I understand that nice things get stolen if you leave them out, but its hard to imagine anyone actually stealing this blind under the "I'm just going to take this for myself" mentality. I seriously think some a-hole stumbled upon my setup, surveyed the hard work I had put into making it a huntable spot, got jealous that someone might actually kill a deer in such a good spot, and decided to sabotage that person. What's wrong with people?

Anyway, if I cut down another 20 trees or so, I can make a treestand work in that spot, though its not going to be very comfortable as the tree is narrow and leans the wrong way. Assuming this property does not sale (been for sale for 5 years now), I guess it'll be another year before I found out how productive it really can be because this is a prime spot.

The good news is, I have another equally good spot for a West wind that I put up 2 years ago that has never been hunted. If I can just slip in and out of there without getting shot by the neighbor, who has a shooting house on the fence line facing into this property....

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3077426 - 12/13/12 12:23 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Poser]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Can you just make a homemade blind out of sticks brush and stuff?
I would just try and do that since it is a hot spot.

I hate that somebody stole your blind, I have had two climbers stolen from me before in the same year. And both done on different properties miles from each other. Just bad luck for me and stupidty I guess for leaving them up, I never do again even on my own private property.

#3077461 - 12/13/12 12:58 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Poser]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Stealing is stealing, and would be dealt with harshly, if I could catch'em. Sorry for your "welcome back" surprise Poser. Sorry lowlife thieves.

I've left a blind out this year, way more than I ever do, and so far so good. I've been using it for taking my daughter when the wind and weather is right.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3077463 - 12/13/12 12:58 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: woodsman87]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Can you just make a homemade blind out of sticks brush and stuff?

Something could be thrown together, but the way the spot is, you can easily have deer on 3 sides, so you really need to be enclosed. I thought about throwing something together this morning, but because the property is small and the deer are extremely sensitive to intrusion, I decided it wouldn't not be productive for this season.

#3077518 - 12/13/12 01:37 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Poser]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

content Online
Stupid and sucks. Sorry to hear that man.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3077519 - 12/13/12 01:37 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Poser]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

It's strange what people will take. But what a way to wreak a morning hunting.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3077533 - 12/13/12 01:42 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
I seriously think some a-hole stumbled upon my setup...

I wasn't there! ;\)

Seriously though, sad to hear of your blind being stolen. I'll never understand people who do things like that.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3077535 - 12/13/12 01:45 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Redfred16]
Terence
4 Point

Loc: TN

Is it possible that the wind got it somehow and its laying all busted up. I say this because yesterday while hunting in giles county I got up my tree about 25 ft as light broke I look down and see a blind all busted up to shreds and I was like what the heck where did this come from. We have had problems with poachers recently and I figured it was one of there blinds and couldnt believe they left it. Come to find out The guy that turkey hunts had left his blind prob 500 yards from where I was and he thought it was secure but with these high winds we have had lately it blew all the way across the farm and then got caught up in this over grown field on the edge of the ridge I was hunting
#3077540 - 12/13/12 01:51 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Hate to hear that. Seems like it is getting worse every year.
#3077546 - 12/13/12 01:55 PM Re: 1st Day back in the woods [Re: Terence]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Terence
Is it possible that the wind got it somehow and its laying all busted up. I say this because yesterday while hunting in giles county I got up my tree about 25 ft as light broke I look down and see a blind all busted up to shreds and I was like what the heck where did this come from. We have had problems with poachers recently and I figured it was one of there blinds and couldnt believe they left it. Come to find out The guy that turkey hunts had left his blind prob 500 yards from where I was and he thought it was secure but with these high winds we have had lately it blew all the way across the farm and then got caught up in this over grown field on the edge of the ridge I was hunting

I thought about that because, you're right, we have had some high winds. I suppose it is entirely possible, BUT, I had the blind tethered to trees in 4 different places. I would have expected to see some broken tethers still tied to the trees.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (Vermin93, Hangnail, GoldenEagle09, DaveB, Cooter, ADR, 9 invisible) and 176 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95993 Topics
1124102 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.08 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.