Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3073662 - 12/10/12 11:35 PM Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Well, I thought I'd try something new. Take some sausage, cook it into cups in the oven, and slice the cups apart to use as a quick breakfast. Crack an egg into the cup, then pop it in the oven to cook the egg. Unfortunately, it didn't work as planned. But here's how it went:

Dino's hot breffus sausage

Nonstick muffin tin

Flatten out entire package of sausage into a thin sheet (Fail #1....it didn't come up easily)

Nonstick spray on the underside of the muffin tin (for easier cleanup, not simple removal of the cups)

Lay the sausage sheet on the underside of the muffin tin. You can see where the failure started rolling downhill. The "sheet" tore easily, and I had to cut off some of the drawn up side that wouldn't cover all three rows. I used this to pinch off little patches that tore through.

Take note of the by-themselves cups. They are the ones made by taking a small handful of the leftovers, then smashing it down by hand, one at a time. Going forward, this will be the preferred method. Oh, laying the muffin tin on a cookie sheet is definitely a smart move.

Starting out nicely (in a 350 oven)

Yeah, not so much. The connecting "bridge" in between cups began to draw up, turning my nice layer of cups into a rumpled sheet of sausage. YOu'll notice the individually formed cups at the back end doing very well by themselves. Also, this is right after I flipped the tin over to let the grease drain out of the indentions on the top of the sheet.

Finished product. The indented sheet just didn't cup out as intended. The individual cups worked perfectly, and would hold a cracked egg or a scrambled egg liquid. The possibilities are endless. I think some of the dented sheet cups will work OK, but I won't hold out too much hope. Either way, it's not a complete failure if you can still eat the poorly formed portions. Dino's Hot Breffus Sausage gets a THUMBS UP in my book.

#3074963 - 12/11/12 07:22 PM Re: Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups [Re: TAFKAP]
memfuzz
6 Point

Loc: Cordova

Try this, break up the sausage, sauté some mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion. Mix it all up with a little salt and pepper, shredded cheddar, and break some eggs and scramble into it. Mix and pour into the muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. You just made some Paleo egg muffins! I highly recommend some silicone muffin pans if you like the recipe, they are real bad about sticking to everything else.

#3075737 - 12/12/12 11:49 AM Re: Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups [Re: memfuzz]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

My wife makes venison meatloaf in muffin tins for easy serving sizes. It's quite tasty and convenient to scoop out.

Novel idea you got there - I never would have thought of it.

When re-heating the "cups" in the oven, does the meat stay moist OK? I'd be worried about it drying the edges out a lot.

#3076623 - 12/12/12 08:29 PM Re: Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups [Re: Crosshairy]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

I give you high marks on originality.

#3084574 - 12/18/12 12:02 AM Re: Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
My wife makes venison meatloaf in muffin tins for easy serving sizes. It's quite tasty and convenient to scoop out.

Novel idea you got there - I never would have thought of it.

When re-heating the "cups" in the oven, does the meat stay moist OK? I'd be worried about it drying the edges out a lot.

No, it's pretty dry & crispy, which suits me fine for the eggs. Just a few minutes in a 450 oven, and the whites are done with runny yolks. It works well with the crispy sausage. But the goal wasn't tender, moist sausage anyway. It'd use a TON of sausage to get the cups thick enough to stay moist.

#3084575 - 12/18/12 12:04 AM Re: Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups [Re: BigAl]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Oh, and as displayed, the cups won't hold a typical "large" egg. It helps to put the cup back into a muffin tin to keep it stable while you crack an egg into it. The theory is great, but I'm still trying to perfect it.

#3086193 - 12/18/12 11:29 PM Re: Great idea! Poor execution...sausage cups [Re: TAFKAP]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

unique idea, i give u that

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (redheadshooter, bowhunterfanatic, JeepKuntry, Trevor2, JBARCHER, Daniel n, 8 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92928 Topics
1085906 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.333 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.