Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3071390 - 12/09/12 07:06 PM Re: Things you really need [Re: hunter drew]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: hunter drew
Most of my area is fields with thickets on the side. I see a quite afew coyotes during bow season

If I'm hunting fields, I only call in the mornings. If I'm hunting thickets, I'll call anytime. I've had coyotes hang-up at field edges in the evenings and bust me as I headed towards the house. I assume they wait there until it is dark and they can head into the field safely. It only educates them when that happens. It doesn't seem to happen as often in thickets and woods. I may also be giving them too much credit when it comes to inteligence.

#3071928 - 12/10/12 05:50 AM Re: Things you really need [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: buzz mcmanus
To start predator hunting...Certain calls I should look at or a decoy? thanks guys. Trying to get in to it need all the pointers I can get

You just need a couple calls, I prefer the Verminator series for inexpensive calls, your deer rifle or turkey gun, and a feather on a stick. That's all you really need to get started.

I've spent a small fortune in coyote hunting equipment and now find myself carrying only my 12 gauge, a lanyard of calls and a feather on a stick. I hunt mainly solo and find myself getting many more doubles with the shotgun than a rifle. However.....this isn't stopping me from building a new coyote rifle as I type this. I'm headed to the range on Tuesday to make sure it will shoot before spending another dime on it.

I always put up the feather on a stick. Sometimes behind me if I expect them close. It seems like they end up looking right through me when they focus on it and I can get away with movement when I really shouldn't be able to.

Good luck. You will have a blast.

Once deer season is over we have to get after them btw. Still getting some on camera every time I pull my camera cards.

#3072377 - 12/10/12 11:02 AM Re: Things you really need [Re: Buzzard Breath]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

Originally Posted By: buzz mcmanus
To start predator hunting...Certain calls I should look at or a decoy? thanks guys. Trying to get in to it need all the pointers I can get

a feather on a stick. feather on a stick.
I always put up the feather on a stick.

Good luck. You will have a blast.

Did you make your feather and stick. If so would you post a pick sorry I'm very new to this lol. And the series of calls Anyone in perticular you using. or that they seem like they come to better

#3072450 - 12/10/12 11:59 AM Re: Things you really need [Re: hunter drew]
Mid
4 Point

Loc: Kingston Springs, TN

I made mine....simple lil gimmick really. i used an old piece of shock corded tent pole cut down a bit with some pheasant feathers tied and hotglued together and tied to end of stick. i have tried a few other ideas but this one seems to work best.

#3074857 - 12/11/12 06:39 PM Re: Things you really need [Re: Mid]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

I like the hurt rabbit call/scream and I favor Primos. Whatver you shoot, be sure you can shoulder and get a sight picture quick. They pick up movement on the run and if they think something is up they can change directions pretty quick. Don't shoot unless you are positive you have a dead dog. It has been my experience that a missed dog will never come close again. I had one with a white patch on his shoulder that I missed. From that point on he would hang up way way way out. I finally took my 300 winmag and 180 grain partitions and killed him at a measured 350 paces.
#3075210 - 12/11/12 10:13 PM Re: Things you really need [Re: DaveB]
DIRTTRAX
8 Point

Loc: Lexington, TN

I normally use a mojo critter, But also have a turkey feather tied to a old arrow. Its moves in the slightest breeze. Far as calls I have a bunch including e-callers to high dollar acrylic calls. If you want a cheap easy to use call get the primos lil-dog. Gander keeps it and I have killed a bunch with it. As far as e-caller go, dont waste your time with cheap ones like i did. Buy one of the best the first time around.

I just bought a coyote decoy also but havent got to try it out yet. Figure it should work being how aggresive they are towards other dogs intruding on their territory.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, RUGER, Taylor, TeamTndeer, Tennessee Todd, CBU93, gtk, stretch, Cuttin Caller, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
30 registered (redblood, TNhunter, Methane, gasman, TAFKAP, Vermin93, 3 invisible) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89102 Topics
1042130 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.