Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 17 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3072975 - 12/10/12 04:47 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: strutandrut]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

When MS announced that regulation change, there was a whirlwind of confusion for nearly 3 years. K.I.S.S.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3072978 - 12/10/12 04:48 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

No, keep it the way it is

#3073183 - 12/10/12 06:29 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: easy45]
recurve60#
4 Point

Loc: Rock Island

no.

#3073250 - 12/10/12 07:01 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: recurve60#]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Why do people want to always change things? It is fine the way it is. A lot of people are happy with the seasons and more importantly, I am happy with it. If anyone wants to hunt the way it is done in another state, move there or buy the out of state license and go hunt there.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3073261 - 12/10/12 07:11 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Bowdacious]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I love the muzzle loader season.

#3073277 - 12/10/12 07:22 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Kirk]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Contendershooter, Louisiana does have single shot centerfire rifles of at least .35 caliber, with an exposed hammer, as legal during their primitive weapons season. The change is effective this year. They wanted both more hunter participation and an increased kill. Seems like a needed change if those two things occur.
#3073995 - 12/11/12 09:26 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
contendershooter
4 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
 Originally Posted By: contendershooter
So for that two week period, I am simply wanting someone who doesn't feel safe around muzzleloaders, an older person who my have trouble loading them, a person who only has the money for one gun to hunt

So if you only have the money to hunt with one gun, you want this person to go out and buy another gun to use in the "primitive" season? 45-70s and the majority of the other cartridges you listed aren't a dime a dozen in TN. You can find a ML alot easier than you can a 45-70 in my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted By: contendershooter
And here me out, I am saying make single shot handguns in any .35 caliber or larger pistol cartridge legal, and your .35 caliber rifles that were "former" black powder cartridges such as the 38/40, 44/40, 45/70

And again, it's been years since I've laid eyes on a 44-40. My local Wal-Mart don't stock ammo for any of the 3 cartridges you just listed.

If a person doesn't feel comfortable shooting a ML how do they feel comfortable shooting a centerfire rifle? I can see what goes into the barrel of my ML when I load it. Do you know exactly how much and what type of powder is in each loaded round you buy? Nope.

And if you don't have the strength to reload a ML how do you have the strength to fire a regular rifle? ML's can be loaded at home by someone with the ability to load it then used in the field by another person that may not have the ability. And if you can't physically load a ML, then you really don't need to be hunting alone.
I know the Wal-Mart in Ashland City near me stocks 45/70 in Remington, Winchester and Federal brands and it sells. I am also saying you can use a pistol cartridge like 357 or 44 mag, 10MM, and we all know they are of less of an advantage to a muzzleloader. In a handgun even more so.

Muzzleloading is expensive, I mean good quality sabots like Barnes or Harvester run you 20.00+ for 15 sabots, then you buy your pellets or loose powder at 30+ dollars, you can buy a box of 45/70's for 35.00, or a box of 44 mags for about the same, and they offer you no more advantage than a muzzleloader does with a good sabot and 150gr load. We can get into the barrel length argument and reload speed, and let's just say the average person could reload a single shot 10 seconds faster...really, do you think it would make that big of a difference over a two week season?

I am all for keeping a dedicated bow season, because I agree 100% once the firearms start ringing off, the deer become more pressured, but for a two week muzzleloader season, if someone wants to use a single shot handgun chambered in a handgun caliber or a slug gun, so beid, they are no more at an advantage than me shooting my Savage 10MLII, and it may offer the opportunity for someone to hunt who otherwise could not.

#3074003 - 12/11/12 09:29 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Hangnail]
contendershooter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
Contendershooter, Louisiana does have single shot centerfire rifles of at least .35 caliber, with an exposed hammer, as legal during their primitive weapons season. The change is effective this year. They wanted both more hunter participation and an increased kill. Seems like a needed change if those two things occur.

interesting, i did not know that had passed in LA yet... I know this has some people stirred, and my whole point is this...if you have a gun that goes boom, fires a single shot, it's really not going to make that big of a difference to use a single shot shotgun that uses the exact same 209 primer to ignite the shell, the exact same bullet in a sabot that you fire from your muzzleloader, or to downgrade yourself, use a foster slug, or shoot a single shot handgun or rifle that are caliber restricted.

#3074008 - 12/11/12 09:32 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: strutandrut]
contendershooter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: strutandrut
This thread is stupid. Someone joins 3 days ago and gets this kind of response making a statement that will surely get us fired up. Yep, I called it. Old member rejoining to make waves. I will stand by that until proven otherwise.

In the mean time, I'm going to the trail can forum to look at Bigfoot, black panther, and cougar pics.
welcome back to you too, and I joined this forum after looking at the TNDEER site for years, advertising on the classifieds, etc... just have not been interested in posting anything, and this idea was bounced around last year by myself and other hunters I work with so I took it to the commission...I have a presentation to do before the commission in 2013 on the issue, so I am just attempting to get feedback from other hunters before even bothering. I actually do care about what others think unlike some people on this forum and politicians. Sigh....

#3074016 - 12/11/12 09:36 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
contendershooter
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
Hunter 257W, I quoted contendershooter in that post. He had quoted your previous post (nested quotes so to speak). He previously stated he could reload his ML as fast as he could reload a single shot rifle. A feat that I would personally like to challenge \:\)
I am not on here to challenge anyone, just to put feelers out on an issue. I am saying I have seen on hunting shows where people have those tube quick loaders, and I have got pretty good with them myself on reloading a smoke pole quick, as you can use those to insert your pellets or powder and push a sabot or bullet all in one push. Granted, I said "just as fast" and I admit I should have wrote "just about as fast" but the time between reloading the two is negligible.

Page 5 of 17 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (blueheron, Muwasi, gun nut, gil1, JCS, kentuckylakebuck) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.