Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 13 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3072943 - 12/10/12 04:34 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

It seems to me most discussions on TNdeer.com are pretty civil, and we'll never totally agree on much anything.

So I'll have to disagree with what BSK just said by "fixing" it to be in the context of us bowhunters already getting the "first opportunity" and that opportunity lasting over a month before anyone gets any opportunity with a firearm. \:\)
In this context . . . . . .

Originally Posted By: BSK
In essence, their primary reason for bow-hunting is to get time in the woods with less competition from other hunters. I certainly don't begrudge them that desire. However, arguing vehemently that they somehow deserve yet MORE exclusive time alone in the woods is a problem. That's where the selfishness comes into play.

Fixed it for you, BSK.

I like our current season segments, i.e. archery, muzzleloader, gun. Good balance for all.

#3072985 - 12/10/12 04:52 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Thanks Wes! ;\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3072988 - 12/10/12 04:52 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: BSK]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: Coach
What in the world is it coming to when our discussions are about how one group feels superior to another?

Although I've read a few posts that reak of superiority, I don't think that is really the point. In fact, "elitism" probably isn't the right word. The right word is "selfishness." And by that I mean that many bow hunters don't want other hunters hunting during bow season simply because they don't want to share the woods with other hunters. In essence, their primary reason for bow-hunting is to get time in the woods with less competition from other hunters. I certainly don't begrudge them that desire. However, arguing vehemently that they somehow deserve that time alone in the woods is a problem. That's where the selfishness comes into play.

It's also possible that bowhunters have/need to have their quarry closer in order to be able to get an ethical shot...and having more hunters in the woods may possibly hamper that effort. Like I stated, I hunt with all three and enjoy all three very much but I also hunt private land only. I'm thinking of hunting with a camera and puttin' the dis on weapon hunters.. ;\)

Eventus stultorum magister

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3073024 - 12/10/12 05:15 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: Coach]
BSK
Non-Typical

What in the world is it coming to when our discussions are about how one group feels superior to another?

Although I've read a few posts that reak of superiority, I don't think that is really the point. In fact, "elitism" probably isn't the right word. The right word is "selfishness." And by that I mean that many bow hunters don't want other hunters hunting during bow season simply because they don't want to share the woods with other hunters. In essence, their primary reason for bow-hunting is to get time in the woods with less competition from other hunters. I certainly don't begrudge them that desire. However, arguing vehemently that they somehow deserve that time alone in the woods is a problem. That's where the selfishness comes into play.

It's also possible that bowhunters have/need to have their quarry closer in order to be able to get an ethical shot...and having more hunters in the woods may possibly hamper that effort.

And if it does, so what? Everyone having the same opportunity to hunt the same number of days, with their weapon of choice, is fair. If you want to challenge yourself by using a bow, then accept the challenge, and everything that goes with it (like needing to get closer to your quary and the fact other hunters may hamper that effort).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3073050 - 12/10/12 05:27 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: BSK]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

Yall are way over thinking this some people just want to close gun season for a few weeks to give the deer a break, even if there is no hunting at all for the 2 weeks. How could it be elitist anyway, just go buy a bow and bow hunt no one is stopping you
#3073054 - 12/10/12 05:28 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

If you want to challenge yourself by using a bow, then accept the challenge, and everything that goes with it (like needing to get closer to your quarry and the fact other hunters may hamper that effort).

I agree.
Other hunters don't "owe" special homage to someone just because he CHOOSES to use a less effective weapon.

Originally Posted By: jar
. . . . . some people just want to close gun season for a few weeks to give the deer a break, even if there is no hunting at all for the 2 weeks.

But MOST hunters don't.
Most just want to know the rules, so they can go hunting without worrying about accidentally breaking the law.

. . . . just go buy a bow and bow hunt no one is stopping you

Likewise, if you want no hunting for a couple weeks during November, just stop hunting. \:\)

Oh, what I would have given to have had our current season segments when I was doing lots of deer hunting back in the 70's and 80's. Back when archery season ended October 31, and didn't re-open. Back when there was no muzzleloader season. It was mostly just "deer" season in late November, although there were few deer compared to today. I did bowhunt a lot in October, and the "modern" bows of that day are now antiquated.

We even had a 1-buck limit in TN when I started deer hunting back in the bad "good" old days! \:D

IMO, we have it great today with our current season segments in TN, regardless of which weapons we prefer to use while deer hunting.

#3073104 - 12/10/12 05:50 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: Wes Parrish]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I can't stand the arguing on the subject either. I LOVE to bow hunt, but CAN'T WAIT to get a gun in my hand! I wouldn't argue anything unless they tried to shorten the time I could have a gun ;\)

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3073134 - 12/10/12 06:10 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: BSK]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

It's also possible that bowhunters have/need to have their quarry closer in order to be able to get an ethical shot...and having more hunters in the woods may possibly hamper that effort.

And if it does, so what? Everyone having the same opportunity to hunt the same number of days, with their weapon of choice, is fair. If you want to challenge yourself by using a bow, then accept the challenge, and everything that goes with it (like needing to get closer to your quary and the fact other hunters may hamper that effort).

The main point of my thread is all the elitism comments about bowhunters and the fact I have never heard of it before nor has any of my hunting buddies. I disagree with you BSK but not enough to debate it. I hunt all private land and if you come on my land in your orange during bow season disturbing my hunt I'd have more to say I guess...By the way, do you bow hunt? ;\)

Eventus stultorum magister

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3073148 - 12/10/12 06:14 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: Coach]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Just to interject more info (if it's true), is it true that many deer hunters cannot legally deer hunt with a firearm in Tennessee during gun season, but can with a bow?
#3073167 - 12/10/12 06:23 PM Re: Elitism?? Really? [Re: jar]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yall are way over thinking this some people just want to close gun season for a few weeks to give the deer a break, even if there is no hunting at all for the 2 weeks. How could it be elitist anyway, just go buy a bow and bow hunt no one is stopping you

What if a I don't want to hunt with a bow?

Why do bow hunters think they deserve time to hunt when other hunters wanting to use other weapons can't?

Page 2 of 13 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (TX300mag, TNtrapper, KubotaM4900, FrontierGander, Rubberduck270, Vermin93, 1 invisible) and 95 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88137 Topics
1032500 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.899 seconds in which 0.578 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.