Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#3072436 - 12/10/12 11:46 AM Re: presidents island report. [Re: Don'tDrinkTinks]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Don'tDrinkTinks
i have a few customers on the island... one said that shortly after the flood a barge dropped a load of ethanol and they had several nice bucks they found floating. not sure how much truth is in that though.

Hmm...I didn't hear anything about an ethanol barge leak. That would have made big news I think. I work at the refinery (possibly where the barge would have been headed), and it seems like that would have come up. I did a quick Internet search and came up with nothing. Perhaps you might turn up more info and have better luck than me.

#3072732 - 12/10/12 02:53 PM Re: presidents island report. [Re: Crosshairy]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Sunday morn was a bust... had to wait to get into the stand till 6:45 due to a line of t'storms with lightening. I wanted to move 2-300 yds further into the woods from the night before, as my prev setup was more of an evening spot, but since it was already breaking dawn, I decided to just climb up the tree my stand was in.

I didn't see a deer, hunted till 10am, then had to get down to make it back home to spend a little time with the wife and kids before work this week.

Overall, it was a great disappointment after applying for 12 years. I've hunted properties with more deer, but the weather and lack of any significant rutting activity really put the nail in the coffin.

Also, I made a huge misjudgement in my hunting strategy... I was assuming that as soon as the majority of hunters piled onto the block of woods on the western end of the island, the mature bucks would not tolerate their presence and move outta there along the block of woods to the north. That just didn't happen... these deer, because of the lack of pressure, just don't relocate that far before being comfortable again. Plus, I think the overall population on the north end of the island is lower due to the lack of beans/ summer crops... the majority of deer seemed to be on the west and south ends of the island... that is where the 4 bucks were killed. (of course, that's also where 40 outta the 47 hunters were).

4 bucks killed on the island, no real big deer (160" plus) killed, I didn't hear of any reports of any really big deer even seen. I think all of the deer killed would score in the 130-150" range, save for a little 2.5 y/o 8ptr killed on Ensley.

Totals for the hunt...
PI 4 bucks shot and recovered, 4 bucks shot and unrecovered
Ensley 2 bucks shot, I am unaware of any unrecovered

#3072761 - 12/10/12 03:05 PM Re: presidents island report. [Re: megalomaniac]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Bummer. I am surprised that the hunters grouped up like that. 40 of the 47 focusing on one area? Is that where the sign seemed to be?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3073661 - 12/10/12 11:33 PM Re: presidents island report. [Re: Poser]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Lots of sign, but also, you gotta remember, the south and west timbered areas are about half of the total timber acreage... I think that the best pinch points are also located on those sides... having never been to the island before, I was just able to study the google maps, and could easily figure out what should theoretically be the best spots to cover for travelling/ rutting deer... of course, they are so obvious that I knew that everyone else could figure them out... which is why I wanted to cover the escape routes.

a couple guys camping next to me covered one of the pinch points... one of the bucks killed in the pic thread was from one of those guys... of course, they also did mention that they had two other hunters flashing headlights at them from thier trees 100 yards away as they were climbing up in the dark... so the pinch points did have folks stacked in them.

The block of woods just across the road from the check in station was completely ignored by all... I wanted badly to go in there and scout, but just didn't have enough time. I covered most of the rest of the island (except the far back west block next to the MS river) between the scouting day and still hunting/scouting midday on Fri and Sat.

Interestingly as well, I never heard any shots from the private land on the southeast portion of the island... I fully expected it to sound like WWIII from those guys once the WMA hunters got the deer stirred up.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (G8rntn, Quailman, THEdonkey0515, J.C.W., z7x, Bullfrog, 11 invisible) and 176 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89331 Topics
1044767 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.