Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 17 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3072318 - 12/10/12 10:30 AM Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader
contendershooter
4 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Last year I proposed a change to mimic Mississippi's muzzleloader season here which would allow the use of single shot rifles and shotguns during the muzzleloader season, being that muzzleloaders are not really primitive weapons any longer and a single shot rifle or handgun chambered in a .35 caliber or larger cartridge that was a previous black powder cartridge like a 38/40, 44/40, 45/70, current handgun cartridge or a single shot shotgun with the foster style or sabot slug offers no advantage over a muzzleloader and in some ways not be as good as a muzzleloader. I am making another presentation this February and would like some feedback. Please view the survey and answer accordingly.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6R68PS

Here is Mississippi's Regulation:

single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles of .38 caliber or larger

single shot, breech loading cartridge rifles of .35 caliber or larger

single or double barreled shotguns loaded with a single ball or slug

Initially it was the "sharps" and 1885 hi-wall style rifles that were legal, but it was so confusing on how the "original, replicas, and reproductions" portion was allowed to be used, they opened it up to ANY breech loaded single shot rifle, .35 caliber or larger

Edited by contendershooter (12/10/12 03:03 PM)
Edit Reason: additional information

#3072328 - 12/10/12 10:37 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: contendershooter]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

No advantage over a muzzleloader? That is a stretch.

While the ballistics of some of those weapons are similar, the ease of reloading and getting off additonal shots is a total game changer from the current muzzleloading season.

Hopefully the Commission will continue to keep it as a muzzleloading season.

#3072334 - 12/10/12 10:41 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: scn]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

I'm with scn on this.

#3072335 - 12/10/12 10:41 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: scn]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: scn
Hopefully the Commission will continue to keep it as a muzzleloading season.

And/or just make it "any" weapon.

What I don't want to see is any more "special" weapons segments, promoted more by manufacturers/sellers of these than by hunter demand.

Why should we demand hunters go out and buy a new "weapon" so they can participate in better hunting opportunity?

If hunting opportunity can be expanded, then let's do it with weapons most deer hunters already own. What we don't need to do is put some special weapons enthusiasts on a pedestal, and continue this dividing of hunters.

#3072346 - 12/10/12 10:48 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Wes Parrish]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I wouldn't have any problem at all with single shot rifles or shotguns legalized for the current muzzleloader season. I'm neither for nor against it. I think Louisiana has the same or similar weapons available for use now. I do think it would increase the hunter numbers to some degree which would probably increase the kill, which is why Louisiana changed their rules. If the powers that be at TWRA think the number of deer taken and hunter participation is fine like it is, I don't see them changing anything.
#3072445 - 12/10/12 11:54 AM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Hangnail]
chiggerbit
Spike

Loc: Lebanon, TN

No, please, NO!

Mississippi's season was referred to as "PRIMITIVE WEAPONS" already, but Tennessee's muzzleloader season has been and is still just that, and should only be for muzzleloaders or bows. Period. It's just my opinion, but why change it? So what if modern advances in muzzleloading have helped with accuracy/terminal performance, minimizing corrosion/cleaning issues, and loading?

Also, being a guy that actually deer hunts with a single shot rifle, my New England Handi-Rifle has a HUGE advantage over a muzzleloader in terms of ease and speed of reloading.

As for shotguns, I started deer hunting while in college in southern Illinois. No matter the advances with slug guns and sabots, I see no sense in encouraging guys to go afield with something that's not nearly as accurate as a muzzleloader. Lighter ones kick like a mule, which encourages flinching/less practice, and the heavy ones are just that, HEAVY, and useless for anything but shooting deer at relatively close ranges for a firearm. I've been muzzle loading here in TN for years, and I've also been in the woods on a couple of mornings in Illinois farm country where you'd think that Dove season had started instead of the first shotgun weekend! Poll the deer and see what they think! lol.

Edited by chiggerbit (12/10/12 12:02 PM)

#3072474 - 12/10/12 12:14 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: chiggerbit]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

No

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3072498 - 12/10/12 12:30 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: strutandrut]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

My vote would be for a primitive muzzleloader season - no inlines, only flint or caps and black powder. No scopes. Alternatively, turn bow season into bow and primitive muzzleloader.

Now this should make the inliners and bow hunters rabid.

#3072502 - 12/10/12 12:32 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: strutandrut]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: strutandrut
No

And no again. Just like having the distinct different seasons myself.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3072510 - 12/10/12 12:35 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: OHVATN]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

Originally Posted By: sds1961
My vote would be for a primitive muzzleloader season - no inlines, only flint or caps and black powder. No scopes. Alternatively, turn bow season into bow and primitive muzzleloader.

Now this should make the inliners and bow hunters rabid.

I'll gladly tote my TC New Englander during bow season if it comes to it. Pretty primitive weaponry.

I'd like to keep muzzleloader season just for muzzleloaders though. And I don't understand how you classify a primitive weapon as a single shot rifle, when they made muzzleloaders long before they had cartridges.

Page 1 of 17 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (greygoose, mjac, 7wsm, gobblinfool) and 47 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.018 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.