Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3072458 - 12/10/12 12:01 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
I am talking about the local economy. Gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc.

I really can't speak for TN... but in Michigan in the upper 2/3rds of the state and also in the Upper Peninsula it would be financially devastating to do anything to the seasons that would lower hunter numbers visiting the area. Many small towns in Northern Michigan rely heavily on hunting deer, bear and elk. Coastal towns rely on fishing also...

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3072476 - 12/10/12 12:16 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
1) hunting with a gun is cheaper than hunting with a bow. You would see people quit bow hunting and take up hunting with a gun.

2) hunting with a rifle is easier than hunting with a bow or muzzleloader, so muzzleloaders would go by the wayside.

The results of both of those would be a decrease in the sale of those weapons and lost PR revenues associated with those sales.

Locally TWRA would lose those license sales, and have little to no recuperation in the form of rifles license sales.

If we only had "deer" season then each hunter would be required to buy the Sportsman license.

And even if they did away with the various weapons seasons you'll still have guys hunting with weapons other than rifles. You'll still have bow hunters and muzzleloaders because that's what they choose to hunt with.

#3072491 - 12/10/12 12:25 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Rubberduck270]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
1) hunting with a gun is cheaper than hunting with a bow. You would see people quit bow hunting and take up hunting with a gun.

2) hunting with a rifle is easier than hunting with a bow or muzzleloader, so muzzleloaders would go by the wayside.

The results of both of those would be a decrease in the sale of those weapons and lost PR revenues associated with those sales.

Locally TWRA would lose those license sales, and have little to no recuperation in the form of rifles license sales.

If we only had "deer" season then each hunter would be required to buy the Sportsman license.

And even if they did away with the various weapons seasons you'll still have guys hunting with weapons other than rifles. You'll still have bow hunters and muzzleloaders because that's what they choose to hunt with.

The vast majority of people choose to hunt with bows and muzzleloaders because they want more time in the woods, not because theyblove hunting with a particular weapon. I am one of those. If your argument had merit, the majority of people hunting this time of year would still have bows or muzzleloaders in their hands. That is not the case. The vast majority of bow hunters put the bows away and pick up muzzleloaders when muzzleloader opens. The same for muzzleloader hunters when gun season opens. That is why the vast majority of us on this site have all three. We love hunting deer, not hunting with a particular weapon. Most of us anyway.

#3072505 - 12/10/12 12:34 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: SES]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: SES
 Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: contendershooter
I just posted a survey in regards to changing the manner and means during muzzleloader season only, and when making the presentation last year when it was tabled due to other pressing issues, TWRA brass had floated this "any weapon" season idea which I disagreed with and gave reasons why. I don't believe opening up muzzleloader season and also allowing the use of single shot handguns, and rifles, in 45/70 for example like Mississippi does or allowing the use of a single shot shotgun would change a thing. It has worked well in Mississippi.

The ease of repeat shots with the fireams you mention totally changes the game in the muzzlelaoder season.

If the Commission decides to go that route my preference would be to just do away with the muzzlelader season and open it to any legal firearm.
That would be a shame if that ever happened.

I agree.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3072570 - 12/10/12 01:11 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: MUP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I know a certain liquor store that would miss a bottle a week worth of bourbon sales for every week lobbed off the season. I also frequent a cafe during the early season where I'll spend a couple of hours working during the midday and usually tip the waitress 100% on a $10 lunch for letting me sit there so long.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3072619 - 12/10/12 01:49 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Coach]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: Coach
I am talking about the local economy. Gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc.

I really can't speak for TN... but in Michigan in the upper 2/3rds of the state and also in the Upper Peninsula it would be financially devastating to do anything to the seasons that would lower hunter numbers visiting the area. Many small towns in Northern Michigan rely heavily on hunting deer, bear and elk. Coastal towns rely on fishing also...

Wisconsin is the same. There are small town bar/resturant owners that make 80% of thier yearly income over Wisconsin's 9 day gun season. Without making major changes like some are talking about here, simple herd mismanagement has crippled some of those businesses. While I don't see that kind of overall rapid economic impact as TN hunters, I'm sure there are plenty of business owners that could point to just how much major changes would hurt them.

The seasons in TN are awesome, leave them as they are and that comes from someone new. If there were any change TN should maybe look into, it's giving an extended bow season in certain areas where deer are starting to grow to dangerous levels, mostly urban areas. This may not even be needed but as we see less hunters and more urban sprawl it's likely to be needed in the future.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3072731 - 12/10/12 02:51 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: richmanbarbeque]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

BSK, What do you think would be the economic outcome if we went to an any weapon deer season?

If we did this just in TN, the economic impacts would be minimal. However, if every state went to this practice, it would destroy the archery and MZ market, as well as all markets attached to those two products.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3072741 - 12/10/12 02:56 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
. . . . . if every state went to this practice, it would destroy the archery and MZ market, as well as all markets attached to those two products.

Which would have what effect outside the sales of archery & MZ products?

Spend less one place, more to spend another.

#3072750 - 12/10/12 03:01 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Diehard Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

[The vast majority of people choose to hunt with bows and muzzleloaders because they want more time in the woods, not because theyblove hunting with a particular weapon.

I completely agree with that Diehard Hunter.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3072752 - 12/10/12 03:03 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BSK
. . . . . if every state went to this practice, it would destroy the archery and MZ market, as well as all markets attached to those two products.

Which would have what effect outside the sales of archery & MZ products?

Spend less one place, more to spend another.

I don't know Wes. Perhaps that is true. But I believe the last time I saw the numbers, the archery market alone was a billion dollar per year market. Now would that money just be spent somewhere else in the hunting marketplace? I have no idea, but I suspect not all of it.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (bull, Master Chief, Florida Cracker 971, Arch-N, Buzzard Breath, Matador, 14 invisible) and 161 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93188 Topics
1089303 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.086 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.