Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3072210 - 12/10/12 09:30 AM BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

BSK, What do you think would be the economic outcome if we went to an any weapon deer season?
#3072308 - 12/10/12 10:23 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

I am not BSK, but I will give you my take since this is not In a private message.

1) hunting with a gun is cheaper than hunting with a bow. You would see people quit bow hunting and take up hunting with a gun.

2) hunting with a rifle is easier than hunting with a bow or muzzleloader, so muzzleloaders would go by the wayside.

The results of both of those would be a decrease in the sale of those weapons and lost PR revenues associated with those sales.

Locally TWRA would lose those license sales, and have little to no recuperation in the form of rifles license sales.

3) you would have to have lower limits or shorter seasons. Many small town economies rely on hunters for income from September to January. Any decrease in the season, or number of days afield would be devastating for those local economies. Look at how many places in middle and west tennessee closed up shop when the timber companies pulled their land from the public hunting system and us East Tennessee folks quit traveling down that way.

In essence, it would cost the TWRA federal and local funds, and have a significant impact on local economies because of lost sales of food, lodging, gas, etc.

Just my two cents

#3072325 - 12/10/12 10:34 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Diehard Hunter]
contendershooter
4 Point

Loc: TN, USA

I just posted a survey in regards to changing the manner and means during muzzleloader season only, and when making the presentation last year when it was tabled due to other pressing issues, TWRA brass had floated this "any weapon" season idea which I disagreed with and gave reasons why. I don't believe opening up muzzleloader season and also allowing the use of single shot handguns, and rifles, in 45/70 for example like Mississippi does or allowing the use of a single shot shotgun would change a thing. It has worked well in Mississippi.
#3072336 - 12/10/12 10:42 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: contendershooter]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: contendershooter
I just posted a survey in regards to changing the manner and means during muzzleloader season only, and when making the presentation last year when it was tabled due to other pressing issues, TWRA brass had floated this "any weapon" season idea which I disagreed with and gave reasons why. I don't believe opening up muzzleloader season and also allowing the use of single shot handguns, and rifles, in 45/70 for example like Mississippi does or allowing the use of a single shot shotgun would change a thing. It has worked well in Mississippi.

The ease of repeat shots with the fireams you mention totally changes the game in the muzzlelaoder season.

If the Commission decides to go that route my preference would be to just do away with the muzzlelader season and open it to any legal firearm.

#3072343 - 12/10/12 10:46 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: scn]
SES
8 Point

Loc: Corryton, Tn

Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: contendershooter

The ease of repeat shots with the fireams you mention totally changes the game in the muzzlelaoder season.

If the Commission decides to go that route my preference would be to just do away with the muzzlelader season and open it to any legal firearm.
That would be a shame if that ever happened.

#3072379 - 12/10/12 11:03 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: scn]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: scn

I agree.
Makes no sense to put another group of special weapons' enthusiasts on a pedestal. If single-shot rifles like these were made legal during what has been known as muzzleloader, then shotguns using slugs should also be legal weapons, if not any firearm.

#3072405 - 12/10/12 11:26 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Wes Parrish]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

I am talking about the local economy. Gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc.
#3072438 - 12/10/12 11:47 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Kirk Moderator
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I doubt it would have much of a "local" change in the economy. In my opinion opening the season earlier to "any type weapon" would only take the monies already spent and redistribute it earlier in the season or perhaps trickle it along as the weather cooled.

The hunters on Tndeer.com are not typical hunters. We hunt more, spend more time and money in the pursuit of game. it might cause us to spend more money.

Look at the opening weekend of Rifle. A large portion of the hunters in the state only hunt this opening weekend and possibly one or two more times. Then they are done with the year.

#3072446 - 12/10/12 11:54 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I think Diehard gave a reasonable overview of the fallout from a macroeconomic view.

In general, I think it would have measurable negative impacts for Tennessee. Nationally operated businesses, like archery/muzzleloader manufacturers, would obviously be hit somewhat, but that effect is obviously lessened by the fact that other states would presumably continue business as usual.

As far as manner and means legislation goes, I personally feel like TN is in the sweet spot regarding what is allowable. Plenty of weapons like shotguns get their own boost within WMAs that have restrictions on center fire rifles. Lets leave things alone and work on herd management.

#3072455 - 12/10/12 11:59 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Kirk]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Kirk
I doubt it would have much of a "local" change in the economy. In my opinion opening the season earlier to "any type weapon" would only take the monies already spent and redistribute it earlier in the season or perhaps trickle it along as the weather cooled.

The hunters on Tndeer.com are not typical hunters. We hunt more, spend more time and money in the pursuit of game. it might cause us to spend more money.

Look at the opening weekend of Rifle. A large portion of the hunters in the state only hunt this opening weekend and possibly one or two more times. Then they are done with the year.

I disagree. As it stands now, we have hunting spread out over a long time period. What happens when everyone can hunt with a gun from the first day on? Then, all those that normally hunt just one weekend a year are competing with everyone else for a motel room or a seat in a restaurant. You are assuming an unlimited capacity for these local places, and that is not true. Sure they may have a booming weekend, but they will miss out on sales simply because they are at capacity and turning people away. People that if spread out over time could be accommodated. What happens also when processors are full to the gills with deer during the hot weather of early season. They can only handle so many. They too will be turning people away.

Given a couple of years of frustration, I think many would give it up because of the hassle. I know I would. Heck I already have in many places like fort campbell. I don't care how good the hunting is, I am not going to fight with everyone and their brother to get a motel room or campsite I have enough hassles in my life already, I wouldn't need more when I am trying to do something I love.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (landman, peleejosh, Grouseman, skeetbum, Still-n-Quiet, BigAl, 12 invisible) and 188 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85622 Topics
1034606 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.243 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.