Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 17 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3072778 - 12/10/12 03:11 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

content Online
 Originally Posted By: contendershooter
So for that two week period, I am simply wanting someone who doesn't feel safe around muzzleloaders, an older person who my have trouble loading them, a person who only has the money for one gun to hunt

So if you only have the money to hunt with one gun, you want this person to go out and buy another gun to use in the "primitive" season? 45-70s and the majority of the other cartridges you listed aren't a dime a dozen in TN. You can find a ML alot easier than you can a 45-70 in my neck of the woods.

And here me out, I am saying make single shot handguns in any .35 caliber or larger pistol cartridge legal, and your .35 caliber rifles that were "former" black powder cartridges such as the 38/40, 44/40, 45/70

And again, it's been years since I've laid eyes on a 44-40. My local Wal-Mart don't stock ammo for any of the 3 cartridges you just listed.

If a person doesn't feel comfortable shooting a ML how do they feel comfortable shooting a centerfire rifle? I can see what goes into the barrel of my ML when I load it. Do you know exactly how much and what type of powder is in each loaded round you buy? Nope.

And if you don't have the strength to reload a ML how do you have the strength to fire a regular rifle? ML's can be loaded at home by someone with the ability to load it then used in the field by another person that may not have the ability. And if you can't physically load a ML, then you really don't need to be hunting alone.

#3072787 - 12/10/12 03:15 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: contendershooter]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

I do think the does need to go to 4 per day and the bucks down to two per year.

This year I have only seen one doe the entire year, no bucks, and I typically see two to four good bucks per year. My father-in-law is retired and hunts almost daily and has only seen a handful of does, and three bucks, one of which he harvested.

Then why do you want to see the bag limit changed to 4 does per day?

#3072793 - 12/10/12 03:19 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: contendershooter]
chiggerbit
Spike

Loc: Lebanon, TN

I can reload a muzzleloader every bit as fast as I can my NEF partner shotgun, or my TC Contender Pistol or Rifle.

I just had to go back and make sure I read that claim right, but take the speed out the equation.

I haven't even thought about trying to reload my .50 cal muzzleloader without taking my eyes off the target like I did as a youngster with a .410 under a hickory with a fox squirrel in the top. Come on, man. No comparison. With all due respect, even if you could reload a muzzleloader so fast, such bragging could encourage carelessness by someone else. Know what I mean?

#3072816 - 12/10/12 03:25 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: chiggerbit]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Really don't want to do anything in TN that they do in Mississippi. \:\)
#3072837 - 12/10/12 03:35 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
TCounty Hunter
4 Point

Loc: Tipton County

I like a muzzy only season as well. I only recently went to an inline, i shot a cap and no scope for years. BONUS, generally much less people (around me) are hunting during muzzle loader season, which is nice. Come gun season, its like WWII around me because I hunt a smaller piece of property, so I consider muzzy my peaceful, less pressured, hunting time.
#3072843 - 12/10/12 03:38 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: TCounty Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

If we are going to go so far as to include shotguns and single-shot rifles in MZ season, just do away with MZ season and make it all-gun season.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3072844 - 12/10/12 03:38 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I don't see how anybody can say that allowing handguns during ML season would give a hunter an advantage over the ML.

If the singleshot rifles were allowed, I doubt it would change the number of deer taken hardly any with the caliber restrictions you speak of. Few hunters would buy a single shot rifle just to gain the small advantage over a ML for a mere 2 weeks. I most likely would, but then I'm a gun nut. For instance a NEF singleshot in 357Magnum reamed out to chamber the 357Maximum would be a great woods deer rifle. \:\)
That is a mouth watering propsition...or a 445 Supermag from a 44 Magnum

When you start talking about reaming barrels and rechambering rifles you get away from what I would consider a "primitive" rifle altogether. Over-the-counter calibers are what most would use if this ever went through.

And in all honesty, I don't care how fast you think you can reload a muzzleloader. I know I can reload a single shot faster than you can load a muzzleloader. And I'll even let you have your ramrod already out \:\)

Where does it say I thought I could reload a ML fast?? ML's are definitely not fast for a 2nd shot! \:\)

Regarding the single shot rifle in a 357Magnum/Maximum, I was merely thinking outloud about the possibilites if current handgun cartridges were allowed for single shots during ML season. Any excuse to buy another gun to get "free meat".

Edited by Hunter 257W (12/10/12 03:45 PM)

#3072859 - 12/10/12 03:47 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Hunter 257W]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

content Online
Hunter 257W, I quoted contendershooter in that post. He had quoted your previous post (nested quotes so to speak). He previously stated he could reload his ML as fast as he could reload a single shot rifle. A feat that I would personally like to challenge \:\)

#3072967 - 12/10/12 04:45 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

This thread is stupid. Someone joins 3 days ago and gets this kind of response making a statement that will surely get us fired up. Yep, I called it. Old member rejoining to make waves. I will stand by that until proven otherwise.

In the mean time, I'm going to the trail can forum to look at Bigfoot, black panther, and cougar pics.

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3072970 - 12/10/12 04:46 PM Re: Want to change manner & means during muzzleloader [Re: Rubberduck270]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

No, keep it the way it is

Page 4 of 17 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (Devin2009, ImThere, downthebrown, JAY B, ADR, mossyhorns300, 9 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91511 Topics
1069853 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.