Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3072764 - 12/10/12 03:06 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: BSK]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Diehard Hunter,

I disagree that a longer all-weapon season would hurt the local hunting-driven economies. In fact, I believe hunting days in the field would increase significantly, which would help those market-places. Currently, the majority of deer hunters are gun-only hunters, who have 6 weeks to hunt, and most people only hunt on the weekends. Throw in the gun season being around the holidays, and many people pass a few weekends because of family commitments. Give those hunters October to hunt as well and I strongly believe gun hunters would expand into hunting those weekends too, increasing total days afield per year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3072944 - 12/10/12 04:34 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: BSK]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
[The vast majority of people choose to hunt with bows and muzzleloaders because they want more time in the woods, not because theyblove hunting with a particular weapon.

I completely agree with that Diehard Hunter.

I disagree with that, only based on myself and the guys I hunted with in Wisconsin. We all love bow hunting. The only reason we gun hunted, was because in Wisconsin, until 2011, you could not bow hunt during gun season and deer gun season is just as much social as it is about deer or we might have skipped gun season all together.

The only reason I went to a gun here in TN, is the deer I saw shortly after muzzle loader season opened were moving fast and not very relaxed. Which makes bow hunting pretty tough.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think you might be thinking that number is greater than it really is, maybe 50/50 instead of vast majority.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3073075 - 12/10/12 05:37 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Redfred16]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

The only people I "know" that bow hunt outside of bow season on their own volition are on this site. None of the hunters I know personally do that.

Point being - don't use TNDEER members' habits as a representative sample of what the general population will do. Folks on here are more dedicated to the sport (on average) than the average hunter in TN I think - supported by the fact that they are active on a deer hunting website!

The argument isn't about season length - longer seasons shouldn't hurt anything. It's changing the weapons allowed that will most significantly impact the economy.

#3073510 - 12/10/12 09:13 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Crosshairy]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

bsk if we were to go to one season how many more days hunting do you think they would be able to have? Would you agree you would have to shorten the total season? if not would we harvest too many deer? I was amazed in the amounts of deer that guns take vrs the amount of archery. I do feel better not getting anything this year in archery. It would be hard to calculate what impact the change would make but I would guess it would lower the total hunting days because the days would be more efficient.
#3073529 - 12/10/12 09:24 PM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: waynesworld]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

I don't know anyone that hunts bow that would keep it if they can hunt with a rifle. If we went to all one season I would sell my bow.

I know there are some that will keep bow hunting but it would continue to decrease. According to harvest data only 1% of deer are killed using bow or xbow after gun opens.

#3073758 - 12/11/12 06:09 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: waynesworld]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
I don't know anyone that hunts bow that would keep it if they can hunt with a rifle. If we went to all one season I would sell my bow.

I know there are some that will keep bow hunting but it would continue to decrease. According to harvest data only 1% of deer are killed using bow or xbow after gun opens.

I guess thats another regional difference I didn't see compared to Wisconsin. The Wisconsin DNR just last year finally gave into the growing pressure to allow bow hunting during gun season. Of the hunters I know only the oldest or the guys who hunt gun opening weekend for the social or traditions in Wisconsin prefer gun over bow hunting for deer. But again I haven't met enough Tennessee hunters and none in person to say this about TN hunters, I should have been more specific and said so in my original post. I was giving everyone a view point from outside the box.

Most of us that gave up our guns to exclusively hunt with a bow found it very hard to do as the deer are often moving much too quick to bow hunt due to the amount of hunters out in the woods. Deer drives are a tradition in Wisconsin and they make bow hunting impossible.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3073853 - 12/11/12 07:37 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Redfred16]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Very interesting to see some of these regional differences.
I'd speculate that the reason so many Cheeseheads prefer archery is because they had to choose between a few days of gun vs. a long archery season, but not both. Tennessee gives you both.

Originally Posted By: Redfred16
. . . . . regional difference.

I'd also speculate it might be a tad easier to successfully bowhunt much of Wisconsin's Dairyland vs. Tennessee's ridge & hollow woodlands?

Speaking of regional differences, imagine trying to bowhunt where the customary deer hunting is with dogs.

#3073898 - 12/11/12 08:03 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: waynesworld]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
bsk if we were to go to one season how many more days hunting do you think they would be able to have? Would you agree you would have to shorten the total season? if not would we harvest too many deer? I was amazed in the amounts of deer that guns take vrs the amount of archery. I do feel better not getting anything this year in archery. It would be hard to calculate what impact the change would make but I would guess it would lower the total hunting days because the days would be more efficient.

I wouldn't lower the number of hunting days. I would make it three months of any weapon season. However, bag limits might need to be reduced to prevent over-harvest. That would be something that would need to be monitored closely.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3073970 - 12/11/12 09:07 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
. . . . .monitored closely.

This is one reason it's not feasible to implement some otherwise good ideas.

TWRA has neither the money nor the resources to more closely monitor more complicated regulations.

Anyone ever gone on one of the quota gun hunts on one of the National Wildlife Refuges that "require" your killing an antlerless deer to "earn" a buck tag?

Their "earn-a-buck" program quickly became a total joke on these quota hunts because so many hunters simply ignored the regs, without consequence. At the end of the day, this reg has mainly just punished honest hunters for being honest.

Be careful what you wish for.

#3073981 - 12/11/12 09:16 AM Re: BSK, economic outcome of any weapon season [Re: Diehard Hunter]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Texas began phasing in a muzzleloader season (after rifle) in the last few years.

Prior to that, guess who the only guy in Texas with a muzzleloader was?

Now that there is an additional hunting opportunity, you can buy stuff at BassPro and Gander Mountain. I wouldn't be surprised if Academy started carrying MZ supplies before long, either.

Team Peapicker

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (Paul Burns, chris1976, bbuck14, trevor2010, Buckhunter10, KubotaM4900, 1 invisible) and 56 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95693 Topics
1120195 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.