Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3071094 - 12/09/12 03:36 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
 Originally Posted By: catman529
Most kills will be in the 20 yard range anyway, which shouldn't be a problem with standard loads. Just make sure you shoot paper a few times and know where your POI is, and how far you can shoot without the pattern breaking up too much.

Saying most kills @ 20 is a giving a false sense of hope while playing the game.... Yes a person can get lucky and have one walk in that close... Out of the dozen+ I have killed only 1 was 20 yards or less (16 paces to be exact).... They don't always get that close for whatever reason.

Alot has to do with the area your hunting.... thick woods, open hardwoods, or fields/pastures.

As was said, shoot the gun, check the POA/POI, and determine the effective range for your barrel length/shell/choke combo.... then hunt and try to get your birds within that effective range... If you try long enough and are not satisfied with the results.... you can always buy another gun with a larger chamber.

I would rather have a gun set up for distance and not need it, than to need it and not have it.... Turkeys have their own schedule and you can't make them do something they don't want to....

I have limited time to hunt, spent hours at the target range testing, spend money on shells, license, gas, equipment, and calls..... I won't be going home empty handed unless all other options have been exhausted.

I dont think its giving a false sense of hope. You cant shoot birds under 20 yds if you pull the trigger at 40 every time.

For the record. I rarely hunt fields and opt for thicker cover for my setups. It works better for me to let the bird come searching thus creating shorter shot opportunties. I have had many less instances of birds hanging up out of range or being intercepted by hens before they get to me. Fields are freakn hen magnets.

#3071191 - 12/09/12 04:38 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: nate17]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

N17, I agree.... but, to go into the woods every trip and expect every gobbler to come into 20 yards or less is just nonscense.

The closer the bird gets, the greater the chance that something you do will spook him.... I try to shoot at the first available/clear shot opportunity.... and that depends on my setup... depending on the gun setup, the closer the shot, the better the chance of missing as well.

I will let them come in if they will... just have to see how the bird reacts to whats going on in that particular situation... if he gets close and starts acting spooky... you better be ready to shoot. If he is at your maximum comfort zone.... and doesn't seem to want to come on in... only you will know whether to pull the trigger or not.

#3071379 - 12/09/12 07:02 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

no doubt, I agree with u 100% griz
#3071429 - 12/09/12 07:21 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
Most kills will be in the 20 yard range anyway, which shouldn't be a problem with standard loads. Just make sure you shoot paper a few times and know where your POI is, and how far you can shoot without the pattern breaking up too much.

Saying most kills @ 20 is a giving a false sense of hope while playing the game.... Yes a person can get lucky and have one walk in that close... Out of the dozen+ I have killed only 1 was 20 yards or less (16 paces to be exact).... They don't always get that close for whatever reason.

Alot has to do with the area your hunting.... thick woods, open hardwoods, or fields/pastures.

As was said, shoot the gun, check the POA/POI, and determine the effective range for your barrel length/shell/choke combo.... then hunt and try to get your birds within that effective range... If you try long enough and are not satisfied with the results.... you can always buy another gun with a larger chamber.

I would rather have a gun set up for distance and not need it, than to need it and not have it.... Turkeys have their own schedule and you can't make them do something they don't want to....

I have limited time to hunt, spent hours at the target range testing, spend money on shells, license, gas, equipment, and calls..... I won't be going home empty handed unless all other options have been exhausted.
most people I've talked to kill most of their gobblers in the 20 yd range. I didn't go past 25 yards this past spring and tagged out. This fall, some instinctive shooing took over and I shot a couple at 35 yd and one at 45 yd but normally 20 to 30 yd is a pretty common range to kill a gobbler in the spring, from my limited experience and from others I have talked to. Doesn't mean they won't hang up at 40 or 50 but like someone else here said, it's part of the game..... My two cents

#3071446 - 12/09/12 07:26 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: catman529]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Most people I've talked to kill most of their gobblers in the 20 yd range. I didn't go past 25 yards this past spring and tagged out. This fall, some instinctive shooing took over and I shot a couple at 35 yd and one at 45 yd but normally 20 to 30 yd is a pretty common range to kill a gobbler in the spring, from my limited experience and from others I have talked to. Doesn't mean they won't hang up at 40 or 50 but like someone else here said, it's part of the game..... My two cents

You have been very lucky young man.... congrats on your success!!

#3071462 - 12/09/12 07:33 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Benelli 4 Life
4 Point

Loc: Bledsoe Co. TN

I kill the majority of mine at 20 to 30 yds but I still want my gun to be able to thump one at 50. I always take the first good shot I get. I try to get em inside 40 but sometimes they get nervous as we all know.

#3071636 - 12/09/12 08:41 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: Benelli 4 Life]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Yep griz I have been very lucky. Beginners luck as I say...

#3074351 - 12/11/12 01:15 PM Re: Turkey loaded [Re: Swamphunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

40-50 turkeys
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (Gravey, duckriver, jakerri, old guy, backroads, Master Chief, 11 invisible) and 117 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85391 Topics
1031798 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.212 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.