Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3070314 - 12/09/12 07:06 AM Re: Shot Placement Question??? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I will add that the odds of an instant kill(i.e. deer drops in it's tracks) increase with velocity and frangibility of the bullet. The kicker with this is that if you get velocity too high with a real soft bullet, you run the risk of blowing up a bullet and getting inadequate penetration. This can leave a deer in the woods with a horrible - but not fatal wound. Nobody wants that. This is why I use controlled expansion bullets in my hot 25 calibers. I've had good luck with Nosler Partitions which I think may still be the best deer bullet for small calibers. The nose blows off much like a varmint bullet giving a good shock effect while the rear portion(about 60% of the weight) continues to penetrate. Hard to beat that. LAtely I have been trying the Barnes 100 grain TTSX. To date I have shot 3 deer with it. All 3 ran but none beyond about 40yds. Obviously it's not going to have a lot of shock effect since it's a solid copper bullet made to penetrate rather than transfer lots of energy fast. It gives me confidence though if I have to take a raking shot at close range even at the 3,590fps velocity. With rifles, it's always about compromise.

In an attempt to get faster kills I've read of some hunters using Berger target bullets that are very thin jacketed and soft for long range shots because obviously they tend to be accurate, shoot flat AND blow up like varmint bullets when hitting a deer. This is great across huge fields when used on broadside deer where all you have to do is punch through a rib. But still makes me nervous if a less than perfect shot is all you get. Or a big buck comes running by right on top of you! (By the way, I have a couple boxes of Berger 120grVLD bullets set aside to experiment with in my 25-06 and 257Weatherby.)

But for the most part because of the small caliber and high velocity of these rifles, I'll hunt with controlled expansion bullets and just accept the fact that about half of the deer I shoot are going to run about 50 yds.

#3070389 - 12/09/12 08:06 AM Re: Shot Placement Question??? [Re: Hunter 257W]
chiggerbit
Spike

Loc: Lebanon, TN

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I will add that the odds of an instant kill(i.e. deer drops in it's tracks) increase with velocity and frangibility of the bullet. The kicker with this is that if you get velocity too high with a real soft bullet, you run the risk of blowing up a bullet and getting inadequate penetration. This can leave a deer in the woods with a horrible - but not fatal wound. Nobody wants that. This is why I use controlled expansion bullets in my hot 25 calibers. I've had good luck with Nosler Partitions which I think may still be the best deer bullet for small calibers. The nose blows off much like a varmint bullet giving a good shock effect while the rear portion(about 60% of the weight) continues to penetrate. Hard to beat that. LAtely I have been trying the Barnes 100 grain TTSX. To date I have shot 3 deer with it. All 3 ran but none beyond about 40yds. Obviously it's not going to have a lot of shock effect since it's a solid copper bullet made to penetrate rather than transfer lots of energy fast. It gives me confidence though if I have to take a raking shot at close range even at the 3,590fps velocity. With rifles, it's always about compromise.

In an attempt to get faster kills I've read of some hunters using Berger target bullets that are very thin jacketed and soft for long range shots because obviously they tend to be accurate, shoot flat AND blow up like varmint bullets when hitting a deer. This is great across huge fields when used on broadside deer where all you have to do is punch through a rib. But still makes me nervous if a less than perfect shot is all you get. Or a big buck comes running by right on top of you! (By the way, I have a couple boxes of Berger 120grVLD bullets set aside to experiment with in my 25-06 and 257Weatherby.)

But for the most part because of the small caliber and high velocity of these rifles, I'll hunt with controlled expansion bullets and just accept the fact that about half of the deer I shoot are going to run about 50 yds.

Thanks for the good and honest post. I often wonder why folks recommend .243's for young hunters, when it and the other small calibers are better in the hands of more experienced hunters/shooters.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
17 registered (junebugwapiti, Arkboy, Poleaxe, mossyoakmantn, FLTENNHUNTER1, DirtyBear0311, 3 invisible) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93199 Topics
1089397 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.