Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 23 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3068896 - 12/08/12 06:31 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: ]
pcrc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Swamphunter
Absolutely NOT! And crossbows should be for the disabled and youth only.

Never happen, it would be my guess having crossbows allowed sells a lot of archery permits.

#3068919 - 12/08/12 07:03 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: pcrc]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

No.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3068951 - 12/08/12 07:22 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: Bowdacious]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#3068976 - 12/08/12 07:37 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: ]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

Id like TN mirror the northern neighbor's seasons. Have a week of shotgun and it would generally fall just post rut.

Bonus weekend and then a late season ML.

#3068990 - 12/08/12 07:48 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: ]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Originally Posted By: southernhunter
No , and I disagree with banning crossbows , cause if u go by that people who shoot recurves and long bows could say compounds are a unfair advantage ! Which they are if compared to a recurve same as comparing a compound to a crossbow . IMO .

That tired old argument is not even valid. A compound bow is just a souped up re-curve. Same range of motion. Same difficulty in getting drawn on a deer and holding for a shot. A crossbow is more like shooting a gun than a bow.
Are you trying to convince folks that Compound Bows do not give a hunter a distinct advantage over a Recurve or long Bow??

That is ridiculous!!

A compound with a 50%+ let-off allows an archer to hold at full draw longer and steadier.

If we want to get back to an archery season that would be a "pure archery season" then we would have to ban: crossbows, compounds, re-curves, sights, silencers, releases, mechanical broad-heads, carbon shafts, aluminum shafts, plastic fletching and any other advancement that would be an improvement on a long bow with cedar shafts fetched with feathers and tipped with a fixed blade broad-head that would be preferably knapped out of a piece of flint.

#3069003 - 12/08/12 07:56 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: Beekeeper]
Robtattoo
4 Point

Loc: Tullahoma, TN.

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
 Originally Posted By: southernhunter
No , and I disagree with banning crossbows , cause if u go by that people who shoot recurves and long bows could say compounds are a unfair advantage ! Which they are if compared to a recurve same as comparing a compound to a crossbow . IMO .

That tired old argument is not even valid. A compound bow is just a souped up re-curve. Same range of motion. Same difficulty in getting drawn on a deer and holding for a shot. A crossbow is more like shooting a gun than a bow.
Are you trying to convince folks that Compound Bows do not give a hunter a distinct advantage over a Recurve or long Bow??

That is ridiculous!!

A compound with a 50%+ let-off allows an archer to hold at full draw longer and steadier.

If we want to get back to an archery season that would be a "pure archery season" then we would have to ban: crossbows, compounds, re-curves, sights, silencers, releases, mechanical broad-heads, carbon shafts, aluminum shafts, plastic fletching and any other advancement that would be an improvement on a long bow with cedar shafts fetched with feathers and tipped with a fixed blade broad-head that would be preferably knapped out of a piece of flint.

Fine by me! ;\)

#3069006 - 12/08/12 07:57 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: cecil30-30]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
Yes have just a deer season. open on oct 1-JAN 1 And any weapon is legal but yoyou have a set number of deer allowwed to take.

I've been advocating that for years, simply because I'm tired of hearing hunters argue over who should have the most hunting days, bow hunters versus gun hunters versus pistol hunters, etc.

Just make it deer season. Let hunters choose which weapon they want to hunt with.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3069010 - 12/08/12 08:00 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: backstraps]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

The only way this idea would be worthy of consideration would be if our buck limit (and possibly our doe limit in various units) were reduced to no more than 2 antlered deer annually.

Personally, I think the weapons season segments (archery-muzzleloader-centerfire)) are the best they've ever been, since there is no longer the confusing "switching" back and forth.

Any changes, imo, should be made in small increments, rather than a huge change such as allowing any weapon from September thru January. IMO, the next increment worthy of considering might be to allow shotguns (using slugs) during the muzzleloader season segment. And if that were implemented, I'd think a statewide 2-buck limit should come with it.

We need to also consider that currently the number of hunters is dwindling (along with the number of hours per hunter spent hunting annually), while the deer herd appears to be still expanding (in TN). This should allow for a little more firearm hunting opportunity, while a 2-buck limit may be needed to help facilitate an adequate doe harvest as well as meet the desires of those remaining hunters who would like to see continued improvement in herd quality.

At the same time, due to an expanding human population, many areas may be becoming "archery only" even during what would otherwise be a "rifle" deer season segment. So there will be growing opportunity for the elitist bowhunters, i.e. more WMA's like President's Island, and possibly some entire counties (Knox, Davidson, Shelby, Hamilton) becoming archery only for deer hunting per local ordinance.

#3069018 - 12/08/12 08:06 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: ]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

Nobody said anything about "pure" archery. But a bow is a bow and a crossbow is like shooting a 50 yard gun. Completely different.
I take it that you have never tried to hunt with a x-bow.

#3069031 - 12/08/12 08:14 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: Beekeeper]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: Beekeeper
Nobody said anything about "pure" archery. But a bow is a bow and a crossbow is like shooting a 50 yard gun. Completely different.
I take it that you have never tried to hunt with a x-bow.

a compound will outperform a crossbow much past 30 yds.

Page 3 of 23 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (vanleerbuckbuster, imograss, MHG, RAFI) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.