Tndeer Logo

Page 18 of 23 « First<1617181920>Last »
Topic Options
#3074491 - 12/11/12 02:29 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: BSK]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

BSK

You are an excellent resource and great member of tndeer.

I just want to say that TN would never go to a shorter, all weapons system lol

#3074505 - 12/11/12 02:35 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: UTGrad]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
I just want to say that TN would never go to a shorter, all weapons system lol

It wouldn't need to be shorter, just adjust bag limits to prevent over-harvest.

Although I agree. We will probably never see just "deer season," with weapon choice up to the hunter. Bow and MZ seasons are too deeply ingrained now. They have become part of the traditions of the state, whether they are biologically needed or not.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3074511 - 12/11/12 02:39 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: UTGrad]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Oh yeah i believe you that's why i want to lower it any way. Noone out of our group has ever tagged out

#3074518 - 12/11/12 02:42 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: deerhunter10]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

I am not so concerned with the bow hunting discussion.

However, I would much prefer rifle season to begin Nov 1. I hate carrying a MZ to the woods during the best hunting of the year in my area.

#3074520 - 12/11/12 02:45 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: Outdoor Enthusiast]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Outdoor Enthusiast
However, I would much prefer rifle season to begin Nov 1. I hate carrying a MZ to the woods during the best hunting of the year in my area.

I would love to see every hunter able to hunt the peak of the rut in their local area with the weapon of their choice. And for TN, it appears the peak of breeding occurs over a range of dates from early November through early January, depending on the location.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3074523 - 12/11/12 02:50 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

I am not a fan of an all weapon season. However if that is what the people want then the people that don't will have to deal with it. I will say this back in bow season i wish i would have had a gun i would had killed my biggest buck ever but he skirted me. But that is the fun of bow season!!

#3074529 - 12/11/12 02:53 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
But that is the fun of bow season!!

I'm not sure I would call it "fun" (being forced to watch a buck of a lifetime walk by out of bow-range), but I can easily say I learned more about deer behavior and woodsmanship skills from bow hunting than any other type of hunting. All my years of bow-hunting were a great learning experience.

#3074534 - 12/11/12 02:56 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: BSK
Suppose we went to it what would you think the bag limit would be?

I have no idea. But I think it would be smart to lower it more than you think is needed for the first year, for safety sake, and then once participation and hunter harvest were assessed for a few years, slowly liberalize the limits up to the maximum number of deer allowable without doing harm.

But even with the very long seasons we have now, I think most hunters would find it shocking just how few deer are currently being taken under our liberal limits and long seasons.

A few "amazing" facts:

Only 1/3 of deer hunters in TN kill even one buck in a given year.

Only around 45% of hunters kill even one deer in a given year.

Only a tiny percentage of deer hunters (a few percent) kill 3 bucks in a given year.

Even in Unit L, where the doe limit is three per day for over 3 months, doe harvests often don't equal buck harvest. It is very common in Unit L counties for buck kills to still outnumber doe kills, even with an annual bag limit disparity of 300+ does to 3 bucks.

I know this is true from reading past TWRA Harvest reports. I try to keep it in mind too when reacting to discussions about reducing the buck limits as it's obvious that reducing the buck limit would have no real impact whatsoever. Still sometimes I react emotionally to those game hogs killing all the big bucks! ;\)

#3074538 - 12/11/12 03:01 PM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

It is fun atleast to me! I mean it's a giant chess match with big deer. As i have stated over and over on here to me it's not about the kill some of my best hunts ever i never even got the bow or gun off the hook. It's about the experience. Bow hunting is a blast but don't get me wrong by ml season i am ready to hang up the bow, but i would never vote to go all weapons all the time.

#3075308 - 12/12/12 04:50 AM Re: Should TN Go to All Weapons Season? [Re: BSK]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: BSK
Plus if we go to all weapon season do you not think our deer herd would take a big hit?? I am asking in all honestly i know you the biologist.

That would have to be monitored very closely. I suspect bag limits would need to be reduced to prevent over-harvest during a 3+ month any-weapon season.

Then that is yet another reason I wouldn't be for it. Folks are gonna keep on complaining till they get something they really don't want imo. The season/weapon/bag limits are fine the way they are.

And remember, this is an SE Tn guy talking here, not a 3 doe a day unit hunter. I saw 3 does yesterday evening right at dark, and I count that as a good day in the woods. ;\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

Page 18 of 23 « First<1617181920>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (Jcalder, TNRifleman, harley 2008, Cumberlandriver, Vermin93, edtcase, 14 invisible) and 124 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89261 Topics
1044043 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.244 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.