Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3067734 - 12/07/12 10:11 AM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: BluegrassDan]
tikkashooter
8 Point

Loc: Kingston, TN

The wife and I have talked about doing this too. Let me know what I should expect $ wise once you are done! Lol

#3067788 - 12/07/12 10:50 AM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: tikkashooter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: tikkashooter
Let me know what I should expect $ wise once you are done!

x2

#3068013 - 12/07/12 12:57 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: Crosshairy]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I haven't had a deer processed by anyone other than me in the last 25 years. A good knife and sharpener and a saw for cutting through bone is basically all you need. I only saw through bone to remove the deer quarters and taking the feet off the legs. Other than that I simply seperate muscle groups and clean all the meat down to pure red meat. I then vacuum pack it for the freezer. The only way to cut the meat up is to let it chill first. Warm meat doesn't cut worth a flip. If you're planning on grinding any make sure you have it clean as a pin before grinding or you'll spend alot of time cleaning your grinding blades out. Manicuring the meat is times consuming and tedious but you'll do a better job than any processor out there.

#3068051 - 12/07/12 01:29 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: Mike Belt]
Hit&Miss84
Spike

Loc: Kingsport, Tn

When cutting off legs, neck, etc, we just use loppers like you would use on branches and small trees. I agree with everyone else that a couple of sharp boning knives are really handy when skinning and working up the meat. I bought a couple of 6" swiss made boning knives for less than $15.00 dollars a piece. A lot of guys I know just get the white handled boning knives from Sam's club.
#3068092 - 12/07/12 01:57 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: BluegrassDan]
Swole Neck
4 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BluegrassDan
I love my stiff 6"

TMI!!!

#3068101 - 12/07/12 02:05 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: Hit&Miss84]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

I agree with Bowater and a lot of what Mike said. I skin,quarter and remove the loins/backstrap and neck meat in the woods and put it in a standard size cooler with milk jug ice and discard the carcass in the woods for the coyotes to enjoy. At home I work on the kitchen table and have it done in about 2 nights of light work. I keep fresh ice in the cooler. I use a sturdy hunting knife and sharp filet knife (learn how to sharpen a knife). I bone out the meat and get three 2# roasts from each hind quarter and grind the rest except for the loins/backstraps which I butterfly into steaks. All the meat is stored in 1 pint or 1 quart zip-lok bags with the air squeezed out. I quart is 2# of ground. I mark the bags with the year and weight. I freeze roasts and don't cut any steaks or stew meat because I can cut those from roasts when needed. Once you have done it a few times and have learned how easy it can be you will wonder why you ever paid to have it done.
#3068170 - 12/07/12 02:59 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: treefarmer]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I only use a good boning knife and a vacuum sealer until I need to grind. Then I have the kitchen-aid grinder attachment and LEM 5# sausage stuffer.

#3068197 - 12/07/12 03:13 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: treefarmer]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

All you really need to completely process a deer is a sharp knife, a place to work, and something to keep air off the meat when it is cut up and in the freezer.

That said, here are the tools I use in descending order of importance.

Boning knife - I use a Browning Bird and Trout knife. I could do all my cutting tasks with this knife, but there are better knives for a couple tasks. I use it for quartering and removing backstrips and tenderloins in the field and for almost all final butchering in the kitchen. It holds a very sharp edge and feels great in the hand.

Large Coleman Cooler - for chilling and storing meat

Sharpening Steel - you gotta have sharp knives.

Skinning knife - for gutting and skinning in the field

Fillet Knife - for removing silverskin at home

Plastic cutting boards - go on top of the kitchen island for final butchering

Gambrel and come-along - make skinning and quartering much easier and cleaner than doing it on the ground

Small handsaw - for lopping off lower legs - I don't cut bone other than that. The one I use cost a couple bucks at Lowes.

Vacuum sealer - ziplocks or butcher paper work too and are cheaper.

Kitchen scale - for portioning packages

A couple large flat pans - for holding meat while it is being processed

That's all you need for basic processing. If you want to make sausage, jerky, ground meat, etc., you can add:

Grinder

Sausage stuffer

Dehydrator

Jerky shooter

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#3068349 - 12/07/12 05:37 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

If you are killing multiple deer per season you will eventually start looking for short cuts.

Watch some of those youtube videos of guys who skin and or process deer in super fast times.

Look at how they deal with legs/joints. I picked up a tip on where I start my skinning process to avoid having to skin around the gambrel saving me a bunch of time.

Learning how to cut around a knee joint to avoid the saw altogether is a winner too.

When processing in the kitchen I use 2 Baker & Chef knives from Sams. ( I think they are really Dexters) BIG cutting board, several bowls and a sharpener.

Backstraps get cut into 6" portions and frozen 3 to a vacuum bag.

Hams get separated into 3 roasts, fat and glands trimmed out.
Shoulders get boned out and usually canned.
Neck gets filleted out for stew chunks.
Any other bits usually wind up in the grinder bowl.

With my wife helping it takes about 60-90 minutes to get 1 deer finished and into the freezer and the kitchen cleaned back up.

#3068422 - 12/07/12 06:30 PM Re: Ramping up to process my own deer [Re: fishboy1]
Appalachian American
8 Point

Loc: Cookeville, TN

I think cherokee89 has some info about this. I seen him posting about processing a while back

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 75 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.