Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3065321 - 12/05/12 07:52 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.
For sure. I know that feeling all too well. Trail cameras will humble a hunter in more ways than one, albeit, they will teach us more than we could ever learn in a century in the woods during daylight. Great buck Bryan, best of luck with him for the remainder of the year.

Unfortunately, my chances are pretty much over. If we don't kill a particular 3 1/2+ buck before Nov. 12, odds are exceptionally low we will kill him that year.
My brother is a mature buck hunter and he would rather hunt after the rut than during. His reasoning,during the rut bucks are in lockdown mode and with more does than a mature buck can handle that bucks movement will be minimal.His movement will be between does. He likes his odds better when the majority of the does have been bred and the buck has to move to find them.Granted he hunts private property thats not highly pressure but he has put a few good bucks on the ground after the rut is gone. Good luck with that monster.

#3065574 - 12/06/12 03:59 AM Re: How they get old [Re: timberjack86]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

content Online
Your brother's thinking has merit. Although hunting the rut is the most exciting time to hunt by virtue of the fact that more deer are breeding at the same time so you're apt to see the chases, etc, after the peak phase there is more competition for those does not bred. The right place at the right time can see some great action with the potential for some good bucks.

#3065659 - 12/06/12 06:48 AM Re: How they get old [Re: BlountArrow]
backwoodsoutfitters
4 Point

Loc: West TN

Missed a 140ish 10 point last year the Friday morning before the season closed . Seen the deer before bow opened but never again until that day I missed. He was with a doe in a bean field on a farm that i spent forty some odd days hunting. I have a hard time gettin up for deer in Jan though and he caught me by surprise.

#3065749 - 12/06/12 07:43 AM Re: How they get old [Re: timberjack86]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.
For sure. I know that feeling all too well. Trail cameras will humble a hunter in more ways than one, albeit, they will teach us more than we could ever learn in a century in the woods during daylight. Great buck Bryan, best of luck with him for the remainder of the year.

Unfortunately, my chances are pretty much over. If we don't kill a particular 3 1/2+ buck before Nov. 12, odds are exceptionally low we will kill him that year.
My brother is a mature buck hunter and he would rather hunt after the rut than during. His reasoning,during the rut bucks are in lockdown mode and with more does than a mature buck can handle that bucks movement will be minimal.His movement will be between does. He likes his odds better when the majority of the does have been bred and the buck has to move to find them.Granted he hunts private property thats not highly pressure but he has put a few good bucks on the ground after the rut is gone. Good luck with that monster.

Fortunately or unfortunately, our rut is very intense but very short. We have been running an adult sex ratio of 1.2 bucks per doe for about three years now. Competition between bucks for breeding rights is amazingly fierce during our brief rut, but when it's over, it's over. After the first week of December, we have never gotten a daylight trial-cam picture of a 3 1/2+ buck (not in 13 years of running full-season censuses). They go completely nocturnal. In 25 years, not one 3 1/2+ buck has been seen by a hunter after November, and we do hunt quite a bit in December and early January.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3068109 - 12/07/12 02:11 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Interesting stuff. I know each buck has his own personality and I also think different areas see different behavior as a whole sometimes. Meaning 2 areas with equal pressure will see 2 totally different reactions from the bucks that live there. Some seem to deal with the pressure, while others simply wont take it and go completely nocturnal until its gone! I hunt several different places in a 2 hour radius, and there are some places i have learned to simply forget about after Nov, and I have some areas I can still see the older bucks later in the year. All this with equal pressure and some not 20 mins apart! I guess thats why I like to hunt them so much???
#3068121 - 12/07/12 02:20 PM Re: How they get old [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Non-Typical

You couldn't be more right Winchester. It never ceases to amaze me how deer in different areas react so differently to the same stimuli.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3070610 - 12/09/12 10:39 AM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
tn droptine
8 Point

Loc: Chester Co, TN/Afghanistan

BSK, its probably because all of that rifle hunting you do - everyone knows that the season is too long and them deer have you patterned.

stir, stir, stir

#3070671 - 12/09/12 11:16 AM Re: How they get old [Re: tn droptine]
BSK
Non-Typical

I know you're sort of funning, but no doubt deer are reacting the hunting pressure we place on them. In fact, we hunt our property much harder than neighbors hunt their properties, hence we do have to be as careful as possible, as well as specifically gear our habitat plans toward sanctuary from hunting pressure. If we don't, we'll drive deer right off the property in short order once MZ opens.

#3070959 - 12/09/12 02:27 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BlountArrow]
DeadEyeShooter
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

nice deer
#3071548 - 12/09/12 08:08 PM Re: How they get old [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (RAFI, tophat, Andy S., Doc Stone, duckriver, archer19, 11 invisible) and 93 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91571 Topics
1070432 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.