Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#3065739 - 12/06/12 07:37 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I knew you would see the reality of it Wes.

When you think about it, it really isn't that much per day over a 6 month period. For a larger property, it will take a day and a half to two days per week to drive to and from the property, check each camera, swap cards, and most likely move every camera. Then download all of the pictures onto computer, and assess every picture (potentially thousands of pictures per week), entering each picture's data (location, time, date, what's in the picture) into databases, identifying every buck in every picture and enter each buck's data into databases, and finally analyzing all that data.

Next subtract your expenses for purchasing and maintaining cameras (batteries are not cheap), as well as gas to and from the project. Lastly, divide what is left of the fee after expenses by the 40-50 work days you spend on the project over 6 months. What it comes out to is income per day that is pretty close to what someone making 30-35K per year makes per work-day.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3066495 - 12/06/12 04:10 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

This above deer and another one came to wish me a Merry Christmas this year, but I was duck hunting on the same farm at the time.

#3066602 - 12/06/12 05:23 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Southern Sportsman]
BSK
Non-Typical

Nice bucks!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3066612 - 12/06/12 05:30 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BSK
Some people enjoy spending money (and have a lot of it to spend). Some people take pride in spending whatever it takes to have the best of everything. I like working for those kind of people. ;\)

\:\)
Would also add that some people have several thousand acres, and we're not talking about doing a deer inventory on the typical Middle TN family farm.

Good point. How many cams do you set out on 1000+ acre farms, bsk?

I can also see the expense adding up for you. Even the initial cost of cameras would be high... To top it all off, its gotta be boring looking through all of those monster buck pics \:\) \:\)

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3066621 - 12/06/12 05:39 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Some people enjoy spending money (and have a lot of it to spend). Some people take pride in spending whatever it takes to have the best of everything. I like working for those kind of people. ;\)

Would also add that some people have several thousand acres, and we're not talking about doing a deer inventory on the typical Middle TN family farm.

I would want at least 12. 15 would be better.

Quote:
I can also see the expense adding up for you. Even the initial cost of cameras would be high... To top it all off, its gotta be boring looking through all of those monster buck pics \:\) \:\)

The boring part is not the monster bucks. It is trying to decide if a particular pictured yearling spike is spike #18 or spike #34. Spike #34 has slightly more sweep to his cowhorns...

The really, really boring part is entering all the data in the databases. Picture #4,053 has two does and a fawn in it. Picture #4,054 has two does and a fawn in it, picture #4055 has two does and a fawn in it...

The fun part is analyzing the data. How many unique bucks are there and what is the buck age structure? How is the age structure different this year than last year, and the year before? When was each buck first picked up on camera? Is there a pattern to when bucks on this particular property "show up" and "disappear?" Is there a pattern in the days each individual buck is photographed? What's the average gross score of each age-class of buck? What percent of bucks are showing up year after year?

#3066631 - 12/06/12 05:45 PM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: Master Chief

I would want at least 12. 15 would be better.

Quote:

The boring part is not the monster bucks. It is trying to decide if a particular pictured yearling spike is spike #18 or spike #34. Spike #34 has slightly more sweep to his cowhorns...

The really, really boring part is entering all the data in the databases. Picture #4,053 has two does and a fawn in it. Picture #4,054 has two does and a fawn in it, picture #4055 has two does and a fawn in it...

I can imagine. Especially when its 1000 pictures of the same deer.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#3067448 - 12/07/12 07:50 AM Re: The agony of defeat [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Exactly. But playing with the data is a lot of fun. At least it is for me, but then I love data, data, and more data.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (DocT, Labboy, junebugwapiti, THEdonkey0515, Webfeet15, sgtwebb1, 16 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92917 Topics
1085651 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.