Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#308277 - 07/21/07 11:51 PM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: Stalker]
buzzr46
12 Point

Loc: Johnson city

I have neither the skill no the patience to attempt that. I wish I could though, I've always wanted a "custom" knife. One that fits if you know what I mean. Craftsmanship like that is just a bit out of what I could explain to my wife on the expense side. Very nice knives fellas.

#308318 - 07/22/07 03:47 AM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: buzzr46]
Bobby Williamson
16 Point

Loc: Bowlinggreen ,Ky

nice hogbear
have been y=thinking of trying my hand at it... would love to talk to you about it.

Team Bear.
Stick and string Newbie- Long Bow Div.

#308325 - 07/22/07 05:32 AM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: Stalker]
Hogbear
10 Point

Loc: Cuba (near Memphis)

Originally Posted By: Stalker
WOW!
What does a guy need to start doing this himself?

Some kind of forge, either coal, charcoal, or propane
A hammer or several
Anvil (a piece of railroad track will do)
Some kind of grinder is nice to finish it up but it can be done wth files and sanding blocks if you have the time.

Here's the forge I built: http://www.dfoggknives.com/forge.htm

You can get the high temp insulation from Insulation & Refractory Services on Decatur Ave in Memphis or order from Ellis knifeworks in Knoxville: http://refractory.elliscustomknifeworks.com/ Ellis has just about any kind of supplies for forging.

Go to hammer-in's and gatherings and bother everybody with lots of questions like I do: http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=8023

Definitely go to the Batson Blade symposium next year around the end of March at Tannehill state park near Birmingham, AL. It's free next year because it's the 20th anniversary and you can do hands-on classes as well as watch master smiths give demos and lectures. Mel Purdue usually hangs around all weekend and talks to everybody and that guy knows as much about knives as anybody. http://afc.abana-chapter.com/ http://www.melpardueknives.com

Another good hammer-in in East TN: http://www.lonesomepineknives.com/2007_mtnhammer.asp

The huge ABS hammer-in near Hope, AR is in Oct and cost $125 to attend: http://www.americanbladesmith.com/absschoolschedule.htm

Edited by Hogbear (07/22/07 06:15 AM)

#308926 - 07/22/07 05:53 PM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: Hogbear]
Stalker
8 Point

Loc: Greene / Cocke County

You are full of good info...
Thanks a ton!

I never can find the knife that is just right, I think that I will look into this further and try my hand at it...I have most all tools required, but may need to purchase a few that will make it easier.

You rock man! You made those with your own hands! Thats just cool!

#374737 - 08/31/07 11:27 AM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: Stalker]
watchmaker
4 Point

Loc: New York

Years ago I was invited to join a German hunting club in the Catskills, which had access to huge woods and was managed for quality deer. The members hunted from hotchsits and performed the "last meal" ceremony in the deer they got, all very proper and traditional Teutonic customs.

To "fit" in I dusted off my Mannlicher style Mauser 30-06 rifle and bought a White Hunter II Puma knife.

Here is it.

Best

Watchhunter

#393298 - 09/12/07 10:02 AM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: watchmaker]
CZ284
8 Point

Loc: Rossville, Tn

Watchmaker,

Ever had a knife made from CPM440V? I have several made for me by Glenn Marshall of Mason, TX. The material was originally used as a bearing race material for use in the space shuttle. Highly abrasion resistant, holds an edge like no tomorrow. At the time Glenn made these for me, he was one of only four custom makers in the country that would work with it. He made (haven't talked to hime in 3 years and at the time he was pushing 80- semi retired)most of the knives for the guides at YO ranch. I have one that I've field dressed over 50 deer with and have yet to hit it on anything other than a black hard arkansas stone. He did all of his own hardening/ tempering to about Rc60, I believe and these blades would take a 15 flex before setting or breaking. Glenn was personal friends of the guy that publishes Knives Illustrated and had won every competition for performance they ever ran. Multiple inductee to different knife making guild hall of fame. Have you heard of him?

It makes a pretty awesome blade. Just thought you'd be interested.

Also killed my first deer in the Catskills- grew up in the Hudson Valley. now a proud TN resident that will never go back!

#393397 - 09/12/07 11:06 AM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: CZ284]
Hogbear
10 Point

Loc: Cuba (near Memphis)

Boker and Spyderco both make folders with CPM440V blades now. You can get the Bokers for about $80 online. Crucible has released an updated steel called CPM420V (also called S90V)that holds an edge better. Both are great edge holders and very rust resistant but they can't be differentially heat treated like plain carbon steels so you can't make them as tough/break resistant as those. Since most people aren't going to do anything to snap the blade in a skinning knife, it's not really a problem.
For a big military/utility/camp knife that might be used for prying or chopping, I'd rather have something like 52100 or W2 that's almost impossible to break and still holds a very good edge.

#393506 - 09/12/07 12:23 PM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: Hogbear]
CZ284
8 Point

Loc: Rossville, Tn

Hogbear,
I've got more knives than I'll ever use, and one of the ones I now use the most is one that Glenn and I made together in his shop about 5 years ago, mainly due to the sentimantal nature of havning worked with a master. It's a scaled down version of the first knife he made for me, and is of D2 with black mesquite handle scales. I wanted something native to his area of TX since we did that one together. He preferred D2 to the CPM stuff mainly because it's easier to touch up, and his opinion was most guys don't take the time to learn how to put a good edge on.Over the years we got to be quite good friends, and he ended up giving me and my boys more knives than we bought from him.
I'll look around for the Boker and Spyderco knives you mention.
Thanks

#398778 - 09/15/07 01:18 PM Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING [Re: CZ284]
watchmaker
4 Point

Loc: New York

This is a Colt 1851 (one of 1200)

I like this stag handles.

Cheers,
Watchmaker

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (TennTurkeyHunter) and 44 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.