Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3065748 - 12/06/12 07:43 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Originally Posted By: BSK
Muddyboots,

For your area, that sounds right.

Not the last 4 or 5 years since i started keeping up with it! This year is totally different.

#3065790 - 12/06/12 08:10 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Muddyboots,

Not the last 4 or 5 years since i started keeping up with it! This year is totally different.

Interesting. What has the timeline been over the last 4-5 years?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3065854 - 12/06/12 08:54 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: smyrnagc]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
I saw, hands down, THE most chasing and buck activity I've seen in 30+ years of hunting on the opening Sat, both morning and eve. As I don't hunt on Sundays, I was back out there on Monday, and the rest of the week as well. I didn't see but two does the entire week! But, on the following Sat, I saw some more activity again but right at dark mostly. I just attributed the sudden lack of sightings as the deer had "chased" themselves off our 100+ acres, and then back on, and off, and on...etc.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3065951 - 12/06/12 10:04 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: MUP]
coontracker49
Spike

Loc: TN

I am just now seeing scraps and rubs here in east tn in some places and others have been there for a while it appears to just depend on where you are for the rut its no longer a calendar setting process i dont care what anyone says about it I remember when if I went down the road here and found scraps and rubs I could go to greene co. and see the same activity but not no more
#3066037 - 12/06/12 11:05 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: coontracker49]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: coontracker49
...it appears to just depend on where you are for the rut its no longer a calendar setting process i dont care what anyone says about it...

Well then, I guess you won't care about this response, but estrus timing in does is somewhat genetic (and hereditary). However, each family group of does can have a different genetic estrus timing. And even across fairly short geographic distances, doe groups can have differences in timing of several weeks.

In addition, each region will have a different primary timing linked to whatever conditions in early summer produce the highest fawn survival. That is how Naural Selection works. Whatever produces the highest offspring production and survival becomes favored in the genetics of the local population. If that is a rut timing in November with fawn birthing in early June, that timing will become dominant in the local population. If conditions are better for fawn survival in early July, a genetic estrus timing for a rut in December will become dominant. That's the way Nature works.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3066066 - 12/06/12 11:20 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Well then, I guess you won't care about this response, but estrus timing in does is somewhat genetic (and hereditary). However, each family group of does can have a different genetic estrus timing. And even across fairly short geographic distances, doe groups can have differences in timing of several weeks.

In addition, each region will have a different primary timing linked to whatever conditions in early summer produce the highest fawn survival. That is how Naural Selection works. Whatever produces the highest offspring production and survival becomes favored in the genetics of the local population. If that is a rut timing in November with fawn birthing in early June, that timing will become dominant in the local population. If conditions are better for fawn survival in early July, a genetic estrus timing for a rut in December will become dominant. That's the way Nature works.
[/quote]

So, based on Natural Selcetion regardless of unusual temperature changes, in this case in middle TN, the does will go into estreus close to the same time each year?

#3066080 - 12/06/12 11:35 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: muddyboots]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

content Online
I'm in Wayne county and I expect some of the best activity this coming week. Until thanksgiving week you couldn't hardly find a scrape, which is odd as scrapes usually show up 1st of Nov. I believe this comin week will be the best week of the yr for our place...

#3066095 - 12/06/12 11:43 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: TN24081]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TN24081
On my farm in Giles County, Nov. 13 was the day I noticed a major change. I went from seeing no rutting behavior almost all the way thru muzzleloader and then on Tuesday Nov 13 I seen several bucks cruising and some chasing too. From that point on, it got better, peaking around the 23rd or so. During that time I usually spent 8-12 hours in the woods, in a stand. I witnessed many chases, a very violent fight between two 2 1/2 yr old bucks and 2 does that were being tended. My or my family's place is 700+ acres and I live on it so I get to see a lot of deer even when I'm not hunting. I don't know what to tell those that say it hasn't happened yet, accept to say that it already happened on our place...

Good assessment for Giles. I saw my first doe in heat 11/18 and the 14 days after that we had great rut activity. Probably the best I have ever seen on our place. A first for me was seeing 3 different does in heat out of the same stand on 11/25. Cold weather definitely helped.

#3066099 - 12/06/12 11:46 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: BSK]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Muddyboots,

Interesting. What has the timeline been over the last 4-5 years?

Lease in Northern part of County has been first 2 1/2 weeks november.

#3066109 - 12/06/12 11:51 AM Re: What's the Dang Deal with this Year's Rut??? [Re: Dawson]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Dawson
Rut was over and done by Thanksgiving on my place in Franklin. First 2 weeks of November were prime. Happened around Thanksgiving in Giles County and is now over. Warm temps had them running mostly at night there. I think those who say it hasn't happened yet in southern middle Tn missed it.

Well explain this. I keep my cams on scrapes from unusually the 25 of Oct- the end of the yr. this yr until 2 weeks ago it would take you half a day to find a scrape much less put 7 cams on scrapes through out the property in an hr I I usually can. Most mature bucks are killed on our place in Dec usually anyway despite early scraping activity...

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (Hollar Hunter, Living2Hunt, FLTENNHUNTER1, Southpaw, Rubberduck270, BigGameGuy, 10 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85241 Topics
1030227 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.203 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.