Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3064041 - 12/04/12 10:46 PM Maximizing potential of small property?
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Ive been posting on some other threads about creating a thicket on my small piece of property (36 acres). The highlighted in blue is what i own what is highlighted in green is what i had clear cut 2 years ago and where my house is currently. The pink rectangle is what i plant in a food plot every year and the pink dot is my only current treestand. I had several other options to hunt this property years ago but due to the undergrowth of all the beech trees im no longer able to hunt those spots. The top of the hill is and old over grown field that is scattered with some small hardwood trees and mostly pines and cedars. Ive been thinking of having another clear cut on the property to try and draw more deer to it. There isnt much in the way of deer beds on my property very sparatic when i find them and seems like the deer are more passing thru and most of the mature deer i get on camera are at night. My thought was the draw or hollow having it clear cut and letting it grow up as a thicket but im not sure if i can get a logger to come in and do that small area. What are some of everybodys thoughts on how i could maximize this small peice to draw/hold more deer.
The black across the road is 183 acres i will be leasing this coming spring. It hasnt been hunted or had a deer taken off it in at least 15 years according to the landowner. It is all hardwoods with a few very mature pine/cedar thickets but not much to amount to anything.

#3064296 - 12/05/12 07:58 AM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: lpo1981]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

I think once you get your hands on the neighbors property you will move over there and hunt,then you can make a larger food plot on your property and create a travel pattern,from what you posted Im sure the sanctuary is across the street.

#3064362 - 12/05/12 08:45 AM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: diamond hunter]
lpo1981
6 Point

Well I'm not sure off hand, I've walked that property in the off season before and it has 2 small patches of cedars and grass but I'd say they only total an acre a peice and it has an overgrown field also about 2 acres worth that the owner quit bushogging 3 years ago... But it's all pretty much mature timber that was cut back in the 40's according to the owner... I am defin looking fwd to scouting it this off season and putting cameras out, think it will defin increase my odds of killing and seeing some mature deer on a regular basis..

Edited by lpo1981 (12/05/12 08:50 AM)

#3064647 - 12/05/12 12:17 PM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: lpo1981]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

You need three things in order to hold and maintain deer: food, cover, and water. It sounds like your property lacks all three.

Clearcuts certainly provide food and cover, but they only do so within a short time frame. After a few years, the shade-tolerant trees take over and quickly turn the clearcut into a desert for the deer. Also, clearcuts only provide low-quality forage and they are very difficult to maintain.

To combat this, you need to take a chainsaw into that clearcut to set back the succession. Depending on how thick it is, you may need to use herbicide to kill some of the undesirable trees. Also, cut paths through the clearcut to make it easier for the deer to travel through.

If the loggers left any mast trees, make sure you keep those trees free from competition. Once you've done some cutting, plant some fruit trees or saw tooth oaks in the treetops of fallen trees.

You need to turn the overgrown field into food plots. Rent a dozer operator or find someone that can come in a clear two nice food plots for you. This needs to be your number one priority if you want more deer. Right now, your property does not have enough food to support many deer. I would start with a good clover/chicory mix and overseed it with winter wheat in the fall.

The red Xs are areas you need to go into and hinge-cut trees. The areas I have marked are places deer usually prefer to bed. Once you thicken these spots up, stay out of them as much as possible.

I also included a few locations for small drinking holes. These can be dug at the same time the food plots are cleared out or you can use hand tools to create them.

Here is a possible layout:

"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

#3065022 - 12/05/12 04:25 PM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: String Music]
lpo1981
6 Point

So my question is how big of an area do I need to hinge cut these areas that are marked? Something I can go in and do myself or am I looking a areas big enough to try and get a logger to come in.. According to the farmer down the road this property has been in his family since the 1920's and to his knlowedge it hasn't been cut ever. The old over grown field behind my house was used in the 40-50 yrs ago for crops... It's scattered wih line trees about 75ft tall and cedars around 40ft tall...
#3066373 - 12/06/12 02:47 PM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: lpo1981]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: lpo1981
So my question is how big of an area do I need to hinge cut these areas that are marked? Something I can go in and do myself or am I looking a areas big enough to try and get a logger to come in.. According to the farmer down the road this property has been in his family since the 1920's and to his knlowedge it hasn't been cut ever. The old over grown field behind my house was used in the 40-50 yrs ago for crops... It's scattered wih line trees about 75ft tall and cedars around 40ft tall...
You'd be surprised how many trees you can cut in a day with a good saw,I do it every winter

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3066419 - 12/06/12 03:23 PM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: Football Hunter]
lpo1981
6 Point

Thanks football hunter... I've been doing some research and reading and these few thickets/cover areas I'm looking to put in mite not have to be as big as what I thought.. I was thinking about 50ftx100ft areas is what I will go with open it up with some hinge cuts and plant some shrubs and stuff for browse along the edges..
#3070605 - 12/09/12 10:34 AM Re: Maximizing potential of small property? [Re: lpo1981]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

you wont need to plant a thing,if you cut enough

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
29 registered (Southpaw, travle, donkey5150, SharpEyeGirl, Eric Kilby, BuckNrut, 7 invisible) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99439 Topics
1169762 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.